City Based T20 Confirmed in County Vote

15 Sep 2016, 08:07 #31

Ive already mad up my mind re membership Club Yorks £30 and go when and if it suits , we have been lucky with the weather this year but with the majority of real games only in April May Sept people will quickly lose interest. Lots of grave turning activity will be going on this morning as we sell our soul to the £ Devil.

15 Sep 2016, 08:14 #32

Yes it must be tricky for Yorkshire to vote against a proposal led by someone who is in effect the clubs guarantor for its £20m plus debts.

I have a lot of respect and time for Mr Graves and think we may not have a team to talk about without him but that does not mean I will support him in all his proposals. Perhaps he thinks his guarantee is in danger of being called in by Yorkshire so he needs something to make Yorkshire make money of their own.

I fail to see how we could have voted any other way but will listen keenly for how Mark Arthur presents the case for why we voted in support.

It could get ugly again at the next Agm I fear

15 Sep 2016, 08:39 #33

I am not 100% enthusiastic about the proposed new T20 Competition. I don't go and watch T20 games now so very much doubt I will watch the new competition.
But I don't think it will be the death of county cricket.
I am sure similar things were written in the early 1960s when limited overs cricket was introduced.

Sadly though you cant escape the fact that county cricket does not make money and is heavily subsidised by the England TV contract.
I can well understand clubs like Durham and Northants signing up to this for the money, it could potentially throw their club a lifeline.
If it makes money and the money made is given to all county clubs like I think the Australian system is then I would say a reluctant ok to it.
If it becomes like the IPL where clubs are owned by companies and individual for money and vanity reasons then a big no from me.

Basically I can see merit in it but need assurances on a few issues first.

15 Sep 2016, 08:53 #34

I don't see how the current t20 competition can co-exist with the new one, as is being suggested. I for one would rather see a new, shorter t20 competition replacing the current one if it means no further reduction in the county championship. Counties have only being playing t20 since 2003 so we wouldn't exactly be losing a sacred monument.

Given the money being promised to the counties, it's hardly surprising that the majority want to take the discussion further, which is all they've done so far. This Big Bash model is certainly preferable to the IPL franchise model as it ensures the best financial deal for the counties.

15 Sep 2016, 09:04 #35

No that's one thing i don't get, how can you have two 20/20 tournaments at the same time? I think something has been lost in translation. There's a meeting next week for some counties where more will be explained. Any news at Yorkshire for a similar meeting?

15 Sep 2016, 09:16 #36

The Championship will be played at the same time as the new tournament not the T20 blast, eventually the 50 over competition will be a straight knockout to make room for the two T20 tournaments.

15 Sep 2016, 09:18 #37

No that's one thing i don't get, how can you have two 20/20 tournaments at the same time? I think something has been lost in translation. There's a meeting next week for some counties where more will be explained. Any news at Yorkshire for a similar meeting?
According to the Cricinfo article. The "city "based" franchise will runn alongside the CC fixtures and up to 100 players will be removed from the counties, contracted to the ECB, and not available for the counties for the month-long duration of the tournament. Presumably the counties continue playing matches with their second teams.

From Cricinfo

" The implications for English cricket are significant. Not only will the new T20 competition see domestic cricket played between teams other than counties for the first time in more than a century, it also seems that around 100 players will be taken out of Championship cricket for the month-long duration of the tournament. In the longer term, it is likely that the Championship schedule - already set to be cut from 16 to 14 games in 2017 - will be cut further."

15 Sep 2016, 09:28 #38

I read it as though there would be no county cricket during that period. Although i think everyone is guessing until the meetings next week. Although even then i doubt everything will be known, as there's still plenty of detail to be worked out. This is just the first round of plans.

15 Sep 2016, 09:31 #39

According to the Cricinfo article. The "city "based" franchise will runn alongside the CC fixtures and up to 100 players will be removed from the counties, contracted to the ECB, and not available for the counties for the month-long duration of the tournament. Presumably the counties continue playing matches with their second teams.

From Cricinfo

" The implications for English cricket are significant. Not only will the new T20 competition see domestic cricket played between teams other than counties for the first time in more than a century, it also seems that around 100 players will be taken out of Championship cricket for the month-long duration of the tournament. In the longer term, it is likely that the Championship schedule - already set to be cut from 16 to 14 games in 2017 - will be cut further."
The new teams would not be franchises - that word should not be used in this case. A franchise would be established and funded by private investors for their own profit. Under the proposed system the teams would be owned by the ECB, with the counties as stakeholders receiving an equal share of the income.

15 Sep 2016, 09:32 #40

From Cricinfo

I'm always a slow learner with t20 developments, but my understanding is:

At a time when we currently play championship matches, without internationals who require complete rest, we will have this franchise competion.

And the international players will now all be playing in the new competition presumably? Says it all.