CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Surrey (Pre-match Thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Surrey (Pre-match Thread)

May 6th, 2016, 12:12 pm #1

May 8-11, 2016 - at Headingley, Leeds

With only nine points separating the top team from the bottom team in the draw-addled 2016 First Division Championship, there is certainly no need to panic. However, Yorkshire will have to present a more consistent performance if we are to get our first victory of the year and really start our push to three-peat.

Of course choosing the right eleven is the first step.

May 6th, 2016, 12:28 pm #2

I can't see there being any changes to the 11 assuming that Root is still available and Bresnan and Siddy are still out.

That leaves the first job being to prepare a wicket that can produce a result but won't be a disadvantage if we're batting first again. Especially with two strong batting teams. On paper, we have the better bowers. Unfortunately for them they're not playing on paper, they're playing on turf.

May 6th, 2016, 12:30 pm #3

May 8-11, 2016 - at Headingley, Leeds

With only nine points separating the top team from the bottom team in the draw-addled 2016 First Division Championship, there is certainly no need to panic. However, Yorkshire will have to present a more consistent performance if we are to get our first victory of the year and really start our push to three-peat.

Of course choosing the right eleven is the first step.
Are you suggesting we've chosen the wrong XI so far this year?

My team for Surrey

Lees
Lyth
Ballance
Root
Bairstow
Gale
Rashid
Willey
Plunkett
Patterson
Brooks

May 6th, 2016, 12:46 pm #4

Expect same team as the one that played at Trent Bridge.
The weather forecast is good so hoping for some more results then rain effected draws.
Be interesting to see if many in the ground Sunday morning with the Leeds marathon traffic problems, I recall the crowd seemed a bit low last year (v. Hampshire if I remember correctly).

May 6th, 2016, 12:50 pm #5

Are you suggesting we've chosen the wrong XI so far this year?

My team for Surrey

Lees
Lyth
Ballance
Root
Bairstow
Gale
Rashid
Willey
Plunkett
Patterson
Brooks
EastYorkshireTyke: "Are you suggesting we've chosen the wrong XI so far this year?"

Nope, just that we better pick the right XI. With no substitute batsmen or bowlers allowed even for injuries (unlike most other team sports), there is probably no other sport where choosing the "right" team is more important than it is in cricket. In a very close competition choosing the right combination of players is magnified.

May 6th, 2016, 1:26 pm #6

Just to throw "the cat among the pigeons", in my opinion, I do not think that it is in the interests of either Gary Ballance or YCCC for him to continue to bat at number 3.

In short, Gary is not batting well at present; and has not really done so since starting to bat at No. 3 at the behest of Team England. It would be bad enough if continuing at 3 only delayed the point at which he regains his former fluency (if ever). Unfortunately, his batting at 3, in my opinion, detrimentally affects the performance of the YCCC Team as a unit. He is not currently equipped to bat at 3 and YCCC also lose his adaptive capabilities batting at 5 or 6.

That, of course, opens up a whole "can of worms". The options appear to be:

1. Leave things as they are and hope for the best.
2. Re-jig the batting order, which would probably mean Root batting at three, Gale at 4 and Ballance at 6. Or,
4. Leave him out altogether and play a more natural number 3, perhaps, Leaning, instead.

May 6th, 2016, 3:09 pm #7

I agree on moving Ballance, I believe he should move to 5 again, with (as much as it pains me to say it) Gale moving to number 3.

So my team goes:

Lyth
Lees
Gale
Root
Ballance
Bairstow
Rashid
Plunkett
Willey
Patterson
Brooks

May 6th, 2016, 4:21 pm #8

only one change for me rhodes for willey

May 6th, 2016, 4:39 pm #9

Two changes for me.

Rhodes for Willey, although we lose a bit of variety in our pace attack we gain so much more.

Ballance to 5, with Gale at 3 and Jonny at 6. Gary has completely lost it since England moved him to 3, then we continued the dumb idea. He is a nr 5, that is where he is so much better and that is the position he reached his test average of over 50, which has gone down since the move to 3.

For me

Lyth, Lees, Gale, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Rashid, Rhodes, Plunkett, Patterson, Brooks.

Without Tim & Siddy I fear another very high scoring bore draw. Surrey are a very strong batting side, as we are. I would not be surprised by a 500 plays 500 first innings. There may also be the odd thunderstorm or two.

May 6th, 2016, 5:03 pm #10

Can't bat the best batsman in the country at six.

It worries me enough we bat him from five - but with his keeping duties it's fair enough.

Glad others have commented on the lack of a true number 3. Balance should operate from 4 or 5.

What's Pujara up to at the moment? He could do a job until Williamson arrives.

Lyth
Lees
Root
Balance
Bairstow wk
Gale c
Rashid
Plunkett
Willey
Patterson
Brooks