CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Surrey (Pre-match Thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

May 6th, 2016, 6:04 pm #11

Agree with that Lewis. Ballance isn't perhaps a no 3, but Gale certainly isn't. Leaning too I prefer at 5 or 6, but they can't all bat there.

And my goodness, hasn't Tim Bresnan's stock risen in his absence ?

May 6th, 2016, 7:08 pm #12

I'm no expert on technique and often think the Sky team talk out of their a*** quite a lot. But Nick Knight seemed to have nailed what the problem is with Gary Ballance in that he is trying to get in an extra movement.

His natural game is to step back and then play the ball on its merits. But now he steps back, seems to tell himself he mustn't do that and steps forward again, then he plays his stroke, almost as an afterthought.

It was quite noticeable in slow motion and because he's such a good batsman he seems able to fit it in against most bowlers, but against the extra zip of Ball and Broad it seemed a real struggle.

Looking forward to Sunday, if we do bat I hope Lyth gets a break to make up for Trent Bridge.

If both openers can do their jobs coming in at No 3 is a lot easier after 20 overs or so have been bowled for whoever it is.

May 7th, 2016, 8:07 am #13

From Todays YP

"After draws in their three matches so far (their longest sequence without a Championship victory since 2012), it goes without saying that the champions need to get on the winning trail as soon as possible."

2012 since we last went 3 matches without a win!! Does it show how much we are missing Bressy and Siddy?

May 7th, 2016, 8:51 am #14

To put it into perspective, we went 14 MONTHS without a Championship win, between June 2008 and August 2009, when we won at Basingstoke. Those were the days!

I expect Yorkshire to be unchanged tomorrow, assuming Plunkett is fit, which he didn't look at Trent Bridge, and everything is okay with Rashid, who likewise looked well below par and was not used by Gale until all other options were exhausted.

Ballance and Willey are worries. Leaning and Rhodes wait in the wings. Bresnan must be getting close to fitness, and how we need him!

I too would rejig the batting order, with Root at 3, Gale 4 and Ballance 6.
Bowlers win matches

May 7th, 2016, 8:56 am #15

Just to throw "the cat among the pigeons", in my opinion, I do not think that it is in the interests of either Gary Ballance or YCCC for him to continue to bat at number 3.

In short, Gary is not batting well at present; and has not really done so since starting to bat at No. 3 at the behest of Team England. It would be bad enough if continuing at 3 only delayed the point at which he regains his former fluency (if ever). Unfortunately, his batting at 3, in my opinion, detrimentally affects the performance of the YCCC Team as a unit. He is not currently equipped to bat at 3 and YCCC also lose his adaptive capabilities batting at 5 or 6.

That, of course, opens up a whole "can of worms". The options appear to be:

1. Leave things as they are and hope for the best.
2. Re-jig the batting order, which would probably mean Root batting at three, Gale at 4 and Ballance at 6. Or,
4. Leave him out altogether and play a more natural number 3, perhaps, Leaning, instead.
Agree with ExileReturns on Gary Ballance. I'd favour option 2 and suggest Root, Bairstow, Ballance, Gale as 3, 4, 5 & 6. If also 'keeping is an issue for Bairstow, then swap him and Gale round. As also mentioned, the whole no.3 thing would be less of an issue with a good and reliable opening partnership, as we had in '14 and which made such a difference that year compared with many previous years (and, in some ways, last). One benefit of Root at 3 if 1 and/or 2 are at present not as steady as we'd like would surely be that he was an opener before he got picked for England. If the openers do well, Root in England mode at 3 would also be right. Of course, he's got to survive the first ball this time!

May 7th, 2016, 9:07 am #16

May 8-11, 2016 - at Headingley, Leeds

With only nine points separating the top team from the bottom team in the draw-addled 2016 First Division Championship, there is certainly no need to panic. However, Yorkshire will have to present a more consistent performance if we are to get our first victory of the year and really start our push to three-peat.

Of course choosing the right eleven is the first step.
From the match preview on the official site:
https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/4694 ... e-v-surrey

Yorkshire have named a 13-man squad for the game at Headingley, adding Will Rhodes and James Wainman to the eleven who played at Trent Bridge.

Squad: Gale (Captain), Bairstow (Wicketkeeper), Ballance, Brooks, Lees, Lyth, Patterson, Plunkett, Rashid, Rhodes, Root, Wainman. Willey.

Tim Bresnan is recovering well from his torn calf and is expected to play for the Second XI against Kent next week.

May 7th, 2016, 4:19 pm #17

How long is Ryan Sidebottom out for please?

May 7th, 2016, 4:21 pm #18

May 8-11, 2016 - at Headingley, Leeds

With only nine points separating the top team from the bottom team in the draw-addled 2016 First Division Championship, there is certainly no need to panic. However, Yorkshire will have to present a more consistent performance if we are to get our first victory of the year and really start our push to three-peat.

Of course choosing the right eleven is the first step.
Are any of you kind folk able to advise me with regards the half-marathon?
I've been to Headingley countless times but am otherwise not very familiar with the Leeds area and usually stick to my tried and trusted route.
Travelling from York I normally approach Leeds on either the A64 or A61 (depending on whether or not my brother is going). Then follow the ring road (A6120?) until the Otley road, and come into Leeds on the Otley road, past St Chad's Church.
Will I hit any road closures going that way please and, if so, how is best to avoid them.
Please keep it simple!!
Many thanks.

May 7th, 2016, 4:36 pm #19

I also come from York and usually go the ring road, but tomorrow......

Turn left (not right) at the Seacroft roundabout, follow the A64 in to the city centre, then onto the underpass, then take the A660 turning (signed Leeds Infirmary), then just follow the A660 back out of Leeds to Headingley.

May 7th, 2016, 5:26 pm #20

If you come in on the A61 you are better off turning left onto the ring road all the way round to the A64 and then as per Stu's advise especially if you don't know Leeds very well.

If you follow the A61 into the centre of Leeds and then look for a way to the A660, Meanwood Road keeps getting in the way and that's closed for it's entire length. Good luck.