CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset (Pre-match Thread)

CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset (Pre-match Thread)

09 Sep 2016, 22:46 #1

Monday 12th September 2016 | Specsavers County Championship - Division One

So what is the ideal Yorkshire XI considering the venue, the competition and our pursuit of a third consecutive Championship?

Latest Championship odds:

Yorkshire: 8/11
Middlesex: 5/4
Surrey: 33-1
Somerset: 33:1

10 Sep 2016, 04:47 #2

Fitness permitting the only change I would make is Rashid for Rafiq.

10 Sep 2016, 07:58 #3

Plunkett for Patto is likely under the circumstances. It would be nice to see Liam in the 4 day team again anyway.

10 Sep 2016, 08:16 #4

Agree re Plunkett for Patterson. Show some compassion and it is not going to weaken us, probably more likely to strengthen us.

Two changes for me Rashid and Plunkett in for Rafiq & Patto.

re the odds --- Surrey same price as Somerset is crazy!! Surrey can not win it. They only have 1 match left and are 27 points behind Middlesex.

10 Sep 2016, 08:44 #5

Plunkett has 9 wickets at 60 in the championship this year, obviously offers more with the bat than Patto but if Patto is available he will surely play, he has 40 wickets this season & his economy is around 2.60, I certainly don't think Plunkett if he replaces him strengthens the team

10 Sep 2016, 09:04 #6

I agree re Patto. If he's happy to play then he should play. Rashid should be the only change; the seam attack are bowling so well right now that any changes should only be if absolutely necessary.

10 Sep 2016, 09:11 #7

Agree re Plunkett for Patterson. Show some compassion and it is not going to weaken us, probably more likely to strengthen us.

Two changes for me Rashid and Plunkett in for Rafiq & Patto.

re the odds --- Surrey same price as Somerset is crazy!! Surrey can not win it. They only have 1 match left and are 27 points behind Middlesex.
Very interesting run-in towards the title, and relegation. The relegation battle could have a bearing on the top of the table, too.

Lancashire entertain Middlesex and don't really need to beat them. A flat O.T. pitch and a high-scoring draw would do nicely, so if we can..... Yes, IF - but it is in our hands to do so at Headingley next week and, with a little reciprocal trans-Pennine assistance, we could go to Lord's as leaders. Probably why we're favourites, though with bookies offering 33/1 on the impossible, perhaps they don't what they're doing any more than the ECB.

Lancashire could be vulnerable to a Hampshire win, but if that happens (against Durham), it is Durham who might be struggling. Warwickshire, too, are more vulnerable than Lancs.

Definitely Rashid for Rafiq, though Azeem bowled pretty well despite Gale's reluctance to use him, and Hodd seems to find him a nightmare to keep to.

Plunkett for Patto might be the correct call. It might be enforced anyway. Not sure if it would be more compassionate to leave him out than to play him, but I'm sure this management will get that part right, if the problem arises.

Brilliant pitch for the Durham game, and next week's more central one should be just as good, the perfect balance between bat and ball, with some turn, too. Beware Jack Leach. I have been going on about him for some time; now he's being spoken about as a candidate for the India tests. Good bowler.
Bowlers win matches

10 Sep 2016, 09:14 #8

I agree re Patto. If he's happy to play then he should play. Rashid should be the only change; the seam attack are bowling so well right now that any changes should only be if absolutely necessary.
"Strengthen" was probably the wrong word to use, and I do not want to upset the NLOP club members. Surely Steve needs to have some compassion showing to him, and he is our only seamer who has not had a "rest" so far this season.

Plunketts inclusion gives us more variety, instead of having a very "samey" pace attack of Brooks, Bresnan & Patto, Liam gives us the extra option of extreme pace. IMO, our ideal attack when all available, is Rashid, Plunkett, Siddy, and two of Bresnan, Patto & Brooks. Liams inclusion also strengthens immensely our batting and fielding, as he is an exceptional fielder.

10 Sep 2016, 10:34 #9

Very interesting run-in towards the title, and relegation. The relegation battle could have a bearing on the top of the table, too.

Lancashire entertain Middlesex and don't really need to beat them. A flat O.T. pitch and a high-scoring draw would do nicely, so if we can..... Yes, IF - but it is in our hands to do so at Headingley next week and, with a little reciprocal trans-Pennine assistance, we could go to Lord's as leaders. Probably why we're favourites, though with bookies offering 33/1 on the impossible, perhaps they don't what they're doing any more than the ECB.

Lancashire could be vulnerable to a Hampshire win, but if that happens (against Durham), it is Durham who might be struggling. Warwickshire, too, are more vulnerable than Lancs.

Definitely Rashid for Rafiq, though Azeem bowled pretty well despite Gale's reluctance to use him, and Hodd seems to find him a nightmare to keep to.

Plunkett for Patto might be the correct call. It might be enforced anyway. Not sure if it would be more compassionate to leave him out than to play him, but I'm sure this management will get that part right, if the problem arises.

Brilliant pitch for the Durham game, and next week's more central one should be just as good, the perfect balance between bat and ball, with some turn, too. Beware Jack Leach. I have been going on about him for some time; now he's being spoken about as a candidate for the India tests. Good bowler.
With Hameed and Liam Livingstone,Lancs should be no pushovers for Middx.

10 Sep 2016, 11:13 #10

Agree with Dave's reading of the situation- a high-scoring draw would be a good outcome for Lancs so perhaps they will prepare a nice flat pitch at OT, as they did for our visit. I don't think they'd be too confident of being able to beat Middlesex given the impotence of their attack and the fact they haven't won since May, so this would seem a sensible strategy. Thankfully we are in control of the surface that our match will be played on, so I expect another result wicket as Fogarty has produced so well in the past couple of seasons. The weather looks set fair for the week anyway- no tedious debates about weather forecasting this week..!