CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 3)

14 Sep 2016, 09:29 #11

Allenby out for Soms, as I recall he damaged a finger catching Lees yesterday.

Wish him better in a day or two

14 Sep 2016, 09:39 #12

You would have to say perfect bowling conditions this morning.

So, have I got this right?

If we lose, Lancashire draw and Somerset win, the points tallies will be:

Middlesex 216
Yorkshire 204
Somerset 203 (they may rue their missed bonus point!)

So a win for us would secure us the title UNLESS Somerset also managed a win gaining them two? more points than us.

This may be hypothetical of course and probably is but interesting nonetheless. I suspect our hopes rest on a waterlogged pitch at Manchester and no or little play today..

Middlesex would win if they secured a draw with a reasonable haul of bonus points

BUT waterlogged pitch looks unlikely according to other posters!
Quote - You would have to say perfect bowling conditions this morning.

Yep conditions very similar to Monday when winning the toss was so important so we could get them in , Oh wait a minute

14 Sep 2016, 09:42 #13

If the current two Lancashire batsmen are still batting at 3pm then it might get interesting again. Long shot though. And what prospect is there of our batting line-up dealing with Finn, R-J, Rayner and Murtagh at Lords anyway?
Think Murtagh is unavailable as he is away with Ireland

14 Sep 2016, 09:48 #14

Yep conditions very similar to Monday when winning the toss was so important so we could get them in , Oh wait a minute
Papag (Login Papag1)
Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:39 AM

Yep conditions very similar to Monday when winning the toss was so important so we could get them in , Oh wait a minute happy.gif

But they wanted to bat so I can only imagine the uproar on here if we'd put them in & they'd made the 390 they scored & we then were bowled out for 145.
Batting first was the right thing to do but the batsmen then let everyone down.

14 Sep 2016, 10:20 #15

Allenby now back and bowling!

Lyth gone 151 short of a double century.

14 Sep 2016, 10:26 #16

Papag (Login Papag1)

Yep conditions very similar to Monday when winning the toss was so important so we could get them in , Oh wait a minute happy.gif

But they wanted to bat so I can only imagine the uproar on here if we'd put them in & they'd made the 390 they scored & we then were bowled out for 145.
Lyth gone sadly, looking at the stats for this game Lees, Ballance and Gale and have managed the grand sum of 44 runs between them in both innings. So here's hoping for a career best from Rashid and young Lehman.

14 Sep 2016, 10:34 #17

Papag (Login Papag1)

Well OF you may be correct but most people / fans i know would have looked more closely at the weather forecasts which im not sure we do and then we may have gone with my view on Monday morning which was to get them in and us to hopefully bat on Tuesday where all the forecasts were for brilliant sun,But we will never know what the outcome may have been if we had put them in and can only speculate.

14 Sep 2016, 10:42 #18

I was at the ground on Monday morning & was pleased that we'd won the toss & would be batting.
Even the loss of Lyth early was not too worrying since it was exactly the same vs Durham but I don't think anyone believed that Somerset would bowl as well as they did nor that we would bat as badly.
The final blow was the dismissal of Lehmann to an horrendous shot on the stroke of lunch.

14 Sep 2016, 10:43 #19

Well OF you may be correct but most people / fans i know would have looked more closely at the weather forecasts which im not sure we do and then we may have gone with my view on Monday morning which was to get them in and us to hopefully bat on Tuesday where all the forecasts were for brilliant sun,But we will never know what the outcome may have been if we had put them in and can only speculate.
Being at Headingley yesterday was tough enough but following it on Cricinfo today is excruciating. I think back to Rashid and Maxwell at Scarborough and blimey how we could do with a similar effort now. The contrast between the Durham game and this one could not be more stark.

14 Sep 2016, 10:49 #20

Way things are going we won't have to switch between games on Cricinfo for much longer
Formerly known as Egham Tyke :-)