CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 1)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 12th, 2016, 2:44 pm #71

Well Abell didn't last long! They don't need to put together many partnerships to get a lead though- need those two out sharpish especially.
I'm as disappointed as everyone else but I think we are barking up the wrong tree if we think winning the toss and deciding to bat was the mistake. To me it sounds like poor batting with lack of patience rather than anything to do with it being a hard track in overcast conditions favouring the bowlers.

By all means have a moan as I'm as gutted as you. But I think there are conflicting views on why we only got to 145.

And for the record Bresnan is some way off the top of our batting averages. It surprised me too

September 12th, 2016, 2:46 pm #72

from what i heard cally saying, the ball is moving about all over the place.

batting very difficult.

nevertheless with no batting points, the only way it seems we can get to lords in front is if we win and middx don't.

that could yet happen, seems that lancs have produced another road, while there is surely gonna be a result at hq.

think this game has just become a must win.

big session coming up.....100-1 or 90-7?
from this position I'd accept going to Lords 6 points behind Middlesex, lose & it's over for us keep these to under 200 if possible can still win this, not much faith in Lancs putting up much resistance

September 12th, 2016, 2:58 pm #73

Not a day for a Brooks off day is it.

September 12th, 2016, 3:01 pm #74

Well losing top three in first hour or so hardly justifies batting first. However, we still have middle/late order to build a good total.
Marcus has always been a bain for us, does wonders for his average.

September 12th, 2016, 3:03 pm #75

I agree re batting first.

easy to say in hindsight that we should have fielded.

but if only for the old adage that we should do what the opposition do not want us to do.

clearly somerset would have batted so why do them the favour of putting them in?

September 12th, 2016, 3:05 pm #76

What are odds that these two will see Somerset into lead? Both have been thorns in our flesh before.

September 12th, 2016, 3:07 pm #77

I am quickly losing faith in us winning the Championship now.
Really have to pull a rabbit out of the hat in this game.

September 12th, 2016, 3:09 pm #78

What are odds that these two will see Somerset into lead? Both have been thorns in our flesh before.
Yeah i have no issue with batting first and agree some dismissals were poor.

But others are fair to argue that we will have batted in the best overhead conditions the bowler's are likely to see this match.
Call for TKC..

September 12th, 2016, 3:12 pm #79

I am quickly losing faith in us winning the Championship now.
Really have to pull a rabbit out of the hat in this game.
If these two bat for much longer it's going to be tough, got to accept going to be facing a deficit here ideally don't want it any more than 100

September 12th, 2016, 3:21 pm #80

I agree re batting first.

easy to say in hindsight that we should have fielded.

but if only for the old adage that we should do what the opposition do not want us to do.

clearly somerset would have batted so why do them the favour of putting them in?
Is it really "clear" that Somerset would have batted first? Is it not also possible that Rogers couldn't decide what he wanted to do, so passed the buck by opting for the toss?

Either way, I'd like to be the first poster on this Forum to congratulate Middlesex on winning the 2016 County Championship.