CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 1)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 12th, 2016, 9:42 am #11

Bat first at Headingley; always likely to happen

September 12th, 2016, 9:42 am #12

Dam Lees already gone after his fantastic game last week.
For purely selfish reasons- I'm going tomorrow and I prefer watching us bat to bowl- I would have rather we'd have bowled first, but it does look like a batting day. Shame about Lees but anyone can nick off early, hopefully the rest will come good.

Interesting to see Lancs insert Middlesex incidentally; perhaps it's not the flat pitch some had expected, although Middlesex obviously fancied a bat seen as they didn't exercise their right to insert Lancs.

September 12th, 2016, 10:10 am #13

Hope the middle order have their batting boots on !
Formerly known as Egham Tyke :-)

September 12th, 2016, 10:25 am #14

Just home and surprised Gale elected to bat - but now he has chance to justify his decision and place in team with 2 out already. Probably advisable to play Plunkett with Patto having family situation - should strengthen middle/late order for usual contribution!

September 12th, 2016, 10:25 am #15

Bat first at Headingley; always likely to happen
"Always likely to happen" ???? Except last week, Somerset wanted to bat 1st. 100% correct decision

September 12th, 2016, 10:28 am #16

Just home and surprised Gale elected to bat - but now he has chance to justify his decision and place in team with 2 out already. Probably advisable to play Plunkett with Patto having family situation - should strengthen middle/late order for usual contribution!
Why wouldn't we bat first? Decent pitch as shown last week, nice weather, they favour spin attack and with baking conditions it will probably become uneven. Everything YCCC do seems to be questioned (moaned at) on here.

September 12th, 2016, 10:33 am #17

Isn't that the whole purpose of the forum for people to give their opinions whether right or wrong & open up debate, be a bit boring if everyone agreed with everything that was done

September 12th, 2016, 10:39 am #18

Somerset presumably wanted to bat first too if they had a toss. With Tres and Rodgers in their top three I would back their judgement along with Dizzy and Gales over posters scattered far and wide.

September 12th, 2016, 10:40 am #19

Isn't that the whole purpose of the forum for people to give their opinions whether right or wrong & open up debate, be a bit boring if everyone agreed with everything that was done
Certainly is. We were put in last week and arguably conditions were worse for batting and we made 460, so it doesn't surprise me that both Yorkshire and Somerset wanted to bat first. The fact that we are 3 down is unfortunate but it would be hindsight to use this as a reason for saying that Gale should have done differently at the toss.

September 12th, 2016, 10:43 am #20

Well losing top three in first hour or so hardly justifies batting first. However, we still have middle/late order to build a good total.