Championship: Yorkshire v Lancashire at Old Trafford. Day One

19 May 2017, 12:53 #31

Cloudy morning in Manchester (not surprisingly perhaps..).
If i was the captain i'd certainly want to bowl today - and i could imagine Ryan Sidebottom with four wickets by lunch...
Not wishing to enter into a row, EYT (!), but there is nothing inconsistent in (a) believing the onus is not on supporters to identify new players and (b) supporters having an opinion on those that are identified and signed. And, yes, the club has done well for many years now in identifying and developing talent (unlike some other counties), but the current state of batting resources shouldn't just be excused away - unless we are satisfied with a return to mediocrity or worse.

19 May 2017, 13:01 #32

If i was the captain i'd certainly want to bowl today - and i could imagine Ryan Sidebottom with four wickets by lunch...
East riding, just to clarify, away captains have the option of putting in the opposition without a toss.

if they want to bat first then they must toss and of course if they win the toss they can choose to bat first.

The inference therefore is that if the away captain decides to toss he must want to bat first, otherwise what is the point in tossing?

19 May 2017, 13:07 #33

There is a fair chance Gary Ballance will be in the first test on current form. I expect a team of something like Cook, Jennings, Root, Ballance, Bairstow (w), Stokes, Woakes, Ali, Rashid, Wood, Anderson (or Coad). Handscomb out - surely time for Jack Leaning to step up with a good innings in support of his captain.

19 May 2017, 13:08 #34

No ECT, but just to say players X Y and Z aren't good enough without identifying better players is an easy option, it's a cop out, if you don't think certain players aren't good enough, that's fair enough but please let us know who could do a better job?

19 May 2017, 13:09 #35

"There is a fair chance Gary Ballance will be in the first test on current form. I expect a team of something like Cook, Jennings, Root, Ballance, Bairstow (w), Stokes, Woakes, Ali, Rashid, Wood, Anderson (or Coad)"

I'd give you any money you want, barring injuries, on Broad and Hameed been in the first test team.

19 May 2017, 13:12 #36

interesting news from taunton (somerset v warwickshire) an ecb edict declares that if thunder is heard, no groundstaff or players are allowed on the ground for 30 minutes. no mention of the fact that a thousand people are sat around the perimeter.

19 May 2017, 13:22 #37

I think we will need to agree to disagree, EYT

19 May 2017, 14:56 #38

Are you talking about Lancashire Lightning Marsker !? Sounds like typical roses war of attrition at Old Trafford.

19 May 2017, 15:52 #39

Marsker -- ecb ruling on thunder and lightning? really?

Well there have been sportsmen killed by lightning in open fields of play (soccer, cricket, especially golf), but I wonder if they have done a risk analysis?

Will they stop players/staff driving to the ground on the chances that they may be killed on the roads? Probably statistically more likely.

Taunton also has a nice nearby church tower with lightning conductor which must reduce the odds of a direct ground strike.

19 May 2017, 16:02 #40

East Yorkshire Tyke, one player who would have done a better job is Stoneman.