Championship | Surrey vs Yorkshire at the Oval (Day One)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 12th, 2017, 3:51 pm #51

Sep 12-15, 2017 - at Kennington Oval, London

Gary Ballance (capt), Tim Bresnan, Jack Brooks, Karl Carver, Ben Coad, Andrew Hodd (WK), Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Shaun Marsh, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Jack Shutt, Ryan Sidebottom

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
He has bowled!!

One consolation for us is that we will not need a spinner in their second innings, as they will only have to bat once, so just this innings for Leaning to turn his arm over.

Heavy rain and hurricane "hope" arriving at the Oval for the next 3 days!!

September 12th, 2017, 4:05 pm #52

Gary Ballance (capt), Tim Bresnan, Jack Brooks, Karl Carver, Ben Coad, Andrew Hodd (WK), Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Shaun Marsh, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Jack Shutt, Ryan Sidebottom

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Another Sangakkara ton seems inevitable - he is pure class. Somerset look like collecting at least 3 batting points and playing at Taunton, I fear that them batting first could prove to be decisive. Cricinfo site is a pain.

September 12th, 2017, 4:30 pm #53

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
I left at 4:30 just as Sangakkara was beginning to unleash the shots. Lovely but wish it wasn't against us. Foakes powerful, uncomplicated: a bit bemused by Rafiq before his exit. Bresnan dropped him.

September 12th, 2017, 4:38 pm #54

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Given the fragile nature of our confidence (which I presume will be improved not one iota by the score currently being amassed), I see little for us but an innings defeat.

I sincerely hope I am proved wrong by either players standing up and being counted (not holding my breath) or hurricane Irma suddenly transplanting to South East England.

We could easily be in the relegation zone come the end of this round of matches
I could be wrong, I could be right

September 12th, 2017, 4:39 pm #55

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Hopefully, we are up with the bowling rate, but it does not appear to be so, or it could be just 1 bowling point, then - 3 for a slow over rate. If we get bowled out cheaply, we could end up with less points in the Championship table than before the match started.

September 12th, 2017, 4:50 pm #56

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Leaving Coad out was a masterstroke. Without him and plunkett our attack looks toothless to say the least. All 4 of our seamers on show are sadly past their once formidable best. Barring a miracle this is goodnight Vienna

If we get relegated we only have ourselves to blame and the morons who appointed gale.

September 12th, 2017, 4:50 pm #57

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Damage limitation time now.

Lets face it, there is no way we can win this match now, so we need to get as many bonus points as we can, fight for the draw and make sure we do not get any points deducted for slow over rates.

We also need Somerset to somehow contrive to lose from the strong position they are in.

September 12th, 2017, 4:54 pm #58

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Fear we will be second bottom by end of this week. We just are not good enough either with team management
or performance.

September 12th, 2017, 5:11 pm #59

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Quite frankly my mind boggles at some of the comments on here - i will resist using the word "moronic" because it is in my opinion offensive.

September 12th, 2017, 5:18 pm #60

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
We could have done with winning the toss.

In their position they couldn't afford to prepare a result pitch but was hoping for a couple of bowling points at least.

If it's a 600 v 600 then we just have to move on, if we let the scoreboard get to us and roll over twice then that's a different matter.

Lets wait and see what happens.