Championship | Surrey vs Yorkshire at the Oval (Day One)

12 Sep 2017, 12:21 #31

Sep 12-15, 2017 - at Kennington Oval, London

Gary Ballance (capt), Tim Bresnan, Jack Brooks, Karl Carver, Ben Coad, Andrew Hodd (WK), Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Shaun Marsh, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Jack Shutt, Ryan Sidebottom

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Having met Jack Brooks a number of times, he certainly doesn't strike me as the type of chap to "storm out" or cause any sort if unrest. A thoroughly nice bloke

12 Sep 2017, 12:29 #32

Gary Ballance (capt), Tim Bresnan, Jack Brooks, Karl Carver, Ben Coad, Andrew Hodd (WK), Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Shaun Marsh, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Jack Shutt, Ryan Sidebottom

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Leaving aside the "politics" I thought Jack Brooks bowled poorly at Scarborough whereas Coad was easily the most impressive of the Yorkshire seam quartet. I hope Coad that was not "left out" today as he is the future when our four seam bowling oldies retire. My tongue in cheek comment failed to bring wickets and Surrey are making hay in the sunshine.

12 Sep 2017, 12:37 #33

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Source of the Jack Brookes 'storming out' statement. I didn't introduce it to the forum although I was told about it at Headingley on day 2 (effectively day 1) of the Middlesex match. Apparently it was reported in the Yorkshire Post although I cant confirm that.

Today looks really bad and I don't see a way out until we bat. Our batting will determine the game. Hopefully one of our better players, realistically Marsh, Ballance or Lees, can bat for a long time and we secure a draw.

Interesting that we've reverted to the 'fab four' bowling attack although unsure whether its by choice or necessity. Maybe time has moved on to far or the way they've been handled this year is making them ineffective, who knows. I'd suggest a combination of these two factors is at play.

Fingers crossed for the afternoon, I hope 210 - 5 at tea, I fear closer to 300 for 1 or 2.

12 Sep 2017, 12:37 #34

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
An answer to my earlier post about Lyth:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/ ... 091fa4c862

Reminds me a bit of her dad.

12 Sep 2017, 12:57 #35

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Get in Brooks!

The comeback is on.

12 Sep 2017, 13:05 #36

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
The annual Stoneman century against us again. Whether it was with Durham or now Surrey, it always happens against us.

12 Sep 2017, 13:09 #37

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Brooks has found bounce where others have not, from both ends.

12 Sep 2017, 13:26 #38

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
The Yorkshire Post of 7 September has this from Chris Waters:

"After Yorkshire left out pace bowlers Jack Brooks and Steve Patterson from their final XI on Wednesday, along with batsman Tom Kohler-Cadmore, the signs were initially encouraging as Lyth and Marsh knuckled down early on."

Nothing about storming. But perhaps there was something in the paper edition. Or maybe in the Evening Post?

12 Sep 2017, 13:44 #39

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
Alot of talk about Brooks.

Not surprisingly considering the NLOP fan boys. But isn't it Patto who is more likely to have taken Coad's spot.
My darling Maxi

12 Sep 2017, 14:14 #40

Live Scorecard
Oval Weather
Live Commentary
The original posting re Brooks was on the day 1 thread for the Yorks v Midds match. Probably another rumour or chinese whisper.

---------

T
(Login TMAC10)
Brooks
September 6 2017, 12:29 PM

Jack Brooks stormed out of Headingley this morning after not been picked.
Rumour is Lancashire are interested.

Brathwaite will be our overseas next year if he impresses as he's available all year apparently.

--------