CHAMPIONSHIP | Nottinghamshire vs Yorkshire at Nottingam (Day 4)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

May 4th, 2016, 11:05 am #11

These two look set for the day, I certainly can't see us taking another wicket before lunch.

May 4th, 2016, 11:05 am #12

These 2 have always been a bugbear to us.
Taking the game out of our reach, if they continue at this rate we could be batting to save the game not win it.
This is what I always feared might happen.
Uninspiring after early break through this morning with same bowlers for 45 minutes allowing Read and Broad to settle in - we are not going to win the Championship again unless we can convert favourable situations. If they get a lead of 250+, I don't fancy our chances of winning against their excellent seam attack - and we could lose

May 4th, 2016, 11:10 am #13

I can't see us getting anything better than a draw from this position.

Having watched every ball... I can now safely say that Gale's captaincy does leave a lot to be desired.

May 4th, 2016, 11:11 am #14

Uninspiring after early break through this morning with same bowlers for 45 minutes allowing Read and Broad to settle in - we are not going to win the Championship again unless we can convert favourable situations. If they get a lead of 250+, I don't fancy our chances of winning against their excellent seam attack - and we could lose
Yes, poor bowling this morning. Even Patto became inaccurate and there hasn't been any sense of a plan against Broad.

This season, we are getting out when going well and bowling poorly when in good positions. It suggests we are not quite the team we have been in recent seasons.

May 4th, 2016, 11:14 am #15

I am sure the players are trying hard but it just isn't happening today - Yorkshire were superb yesterday. You feel that Notts best chance of winning is to be bowled out soon. If batting is easier today (and presumably the conditions down there are like they are in Leeds today) and given our batting line up which is clearly superior to theirs, how many would they feel comfortable defending? How much of a risk are they prepared to take? Surely they aren't going to declare until they have at least a 300 and an asking rate of 5 + runs per over?

May 4th, 2016, 11:18 am #16

I've not been watching this but I would ask why did Gale not bring Plunkett on to bombard Broad with short stuff in at his ribs as soon as he came in. It seems from a distance that he waited until Broad was settled before bringing Liam on with the result that Broad was able to make hay.
There are enough England lads in our team who know Broad's game who should have been in the captain's ear straight away.

May 4th, 2016, 11:24 am #17

Poor this morning. This match has gone now. Hopefully we can get a draw.

Will Read declare and when!! Don`t fancy our chances if he does, so may be better for us if he does not.

May 4th, 2016, 11:24 am #18

I've not been watching this but I would ask why did Gale not bring Plunkett on to bombard Broad with short stuff in at his ribs as soon as he came in. It seems from a distance that he waited until Broad was settled before bringing Liam on with the result that Broad was able to make hay.
There are enough England lads in our team who know Broad's game who should have been in the captain's ear straight away.
Yessss!! Much needed.

May 4th, 2016, 11:25 am #19

Watching this morning, I think Gale's captaincy has been uninspiring and lacking in plan or aggression. Superb first over with new ball by Willey but why was he not given a few overs early on? Our chances in this game have virtually disappeared and maybe our Championship hopes as well

May 4th, 2016, 11:29 am #20

Too early for such doom & gloom surely?
At least about our championship hopes if not our chance in this game.
Do you recall Sussex a couple of seasons ago getting off to a flyer - including beating us at home - but we still won the pennant?
On a separate topic, I know most on here don't like Stuart Broad but you have to give him credit for trying his best to produce the goods for his county on the few occasions he can turn out for them.
Last year he seemed to be the only one trying & he's again doing the business for them with the bat at least.
My fear is that he'll turn it on with the ball when we finally get to bat.