CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 4)

23 Sep 2016, 11:04 #31

Would both say we are as anxious to win as each other.
First time in ages the County Championship has got some National coverage, if Middlesex limply settle for a draw I think it would be a bit unforgivable when cricket needs all the good publicity it can get.

23 Sep 2016, 11:08 #32

Yep agree with this also they will know that right or wrong a lot of YCCC people feel that everything possible has been done by certain people to lean towards Middlesex winning the title, so maybe that feeling may be taken into consideration
You can't just chase anything though and Gale should have given the very clear signal this morning to Franklin that we won't. Been a bit of loose talk about this from some of the players that is not really helpful.

Franklin is under pressure here. His caution has led Middlesex into their current predicament.

Also, Charles Colville is just embarrassing. Generally, why is such a fuss made of the Sky coverage? A few extra camera angles, but simply awful commentary in the main. Athers seems a little more balanced and informed.

23 Sep 2016, 11:09 #33

First time in ages the County Championship has got some National coverage, if Middlesex limply settle for a draw I think it would be a bit unforgivable when cricket needs all the good publicity it can get.
Is the banning of "dekky" bowling a recent thing?

At Scarborough in 2012 Gale and Lyth bowled 10 overs for 159 runs which led to a Yorkshire fourth innings run chase.

Presumably it's been outlawed since.

23 Sep 2016, 11:09 #34

Bressie said on the late Look North last night that we are going for it. "Last Man Swinging" was the way he put it.

He also said that either Middlesex or Yorkshire will win the title.

23 Sep 2016, 11:16 #35

You can't just chase anything though and Gale should have given the very clear signal this morning to Franklin that we won't. Been a bit of loose talk about this from some of the players that is not really helpful.

Franklin is under pressure here. His caution has led Middlesex into their current predicament.

Also, Charles Colville is just embarrassing. Generally, why is such a fuss made of the Sky coverage? A few extra camera angles, but simply awful commentary in the main. Athers seems a little more balanced and informed.
The problem is we can't be seen to put on the buffet bowlers or the ecb and Somerset will moan and we will no doubt be docked points, have our captain suspended and relegated to div 2 next season.

You think I'm joking and just remember what happened to Closey when he lost the England captaincy.

We need our good bowlers to bowl not quite so well, set aggressive fields as if we are still trying to take wickets but leave big gaps for us hem to hit boundaries. Then when it gets to the last session they can declare with a lead of 200 for us to chase in 20 overs.

23 Sep 2016, 11:26 #36

Ballance has bowled leg spin for england, so somerset or the ecb cannot complain if we bowl him and he gets hit all over the place.

deccy bowling has not be outlawed as such, i think its covered in unsporting behaviour or bringing the game into disrepute.

23 Sep 2016, 11:28 #37

Ballance bowled in the dying overs of a match. Not sure it's quite the same thing here

23 Sep 2016, 11:37 #38

This match doesn't need buffet bowling. Middlesex are naturally on course to set us a one session target.
My darling Maxi

23 Sep 2016, 11:40 #39

Ballance bowled in the dying overs of a match. Not sure it's quite the same thing here
They were discussing this on the radio - bowling part timers with "attacking fields" (ie everyone in the slips so that there are loads of gaps to hit boundaries) is OK, but deliberately bowling wides, or kicking the bowl over the boundary is not.

Just wish they'd get on with it - can't stand much more of this!

23 Sep 2016, 11:41 #40

This match doesn't need buffet bowling. Middlesex are naturally on course to set us a one session target.
I agree. 210 ish off 30 overs seems fairly easy to sort out