CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 4)

23 Sep 2016, 09:56 #21

Declaration bowling has been banned. If the umpires think it's buffet bowling they will jump on it.
Yes other than our front line bowlers being a bit loose don't think we can be seen to be giving away runs. For a result today unless we bowl middx out there surely has to be a desire on both sides for a result. A stiff enough target but equally enough overs to bowl us out. That's the difficulty given the time left in the game

23 Sep 2016, 09:57 #22

Sep 20-23, 2016 - at Lord's, London

So, will it be three Championships in a row and a place in cricket history?

Middlesex 270 & 81-2 (38 overs) Yorkshire 390
Middlesex trail by 39 runs with 8 wickets remaining

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Weather

WRF POLL | VOTE for the 2016 Yorkshire Player of the Year CLICK HERE

YP POLL: Are the ECB right to refuse Yorkshire permission to play Jonny Bairstow? CLICK HERE
Rather ironic walking into Lords this morning to see Jony Bairstow out on the training area posing for cricket shot photographs for the ECB. Given real choice I'm sure his body, as well as his heart and mind, would have been with his fellow Yorkshire CCC team members on such an important day as today.
Great show from the Yorkshire supporters on a glorious sunny day here at Lords.
What an enthralling finish to the season on the very last day of the Championship.

23 Sep 2016, 09:59 #23

Congratulations Somerset.

Looks like after all the hype excitement and positive publicity it's going to peter out into a dull draw....

And as I'm always wrong....
This won't be a draw, they will set something and we'll chase it to the end

23 Sep 2016, 10:00 #24

Rather ironic walking into Lords this morning to see Jony Bairstow out on the training area posing for cricket shot photographs for the ECB. Given real choice I'm sure his body, as well as his heart and mind, would have been with his fellow Yorkshire CCC team members on such an important day as today.
Great show from the Yorkshire supporters on a glorious sunny day here at Lords.
What an enthralling finish to the season on the very last day of the Championship.
Looking at things at the moment I think the next couple of hours will be a bit of a phoney war before Middlesex set us some sort of target.

23 Sep 2016, 10:16 #25

Following it from Boston, Massachusetts ( yes I know) since 5.30am. My heart is in London though. Come on guys you can do this.

23 Sep 2016, 10:34 #26

They have to give us some chance I reckon 7 an over leaves 200 after tea

23 Sep 2016, 10:48 #27

Following it from Boston, Massachusetts ( yes I know) since 5.30am. My heart is in London though. Come on guys you can do this.
Sky talking about us chasing runs this evening at 10 an over. That somehow the onus is on us. That we are the more desperate party. I am not sure where this comes from.

Middlesex have been top of the table for a good while, should have already won the title (but for over-caution that would have caused Peter's laptop to spontaneously combust) and haven't won it for 23 years. I would be furious if I was a Middlesex supporter if come tonight Middlesex are not champions.

Surely, we can call their bluff as much as the other way round.

A 20/20 comparison is a nonsense too, as the pitch is very slow and low (increasingly even) and the Middlesex captain has full freedom over field placings. If Yorkshire get start to get close, Middlesex can just put 8 on the boundary.

If Middlesex want the better of any deal, forget it, we can try again next year.

Edit: Part of the reasoning seems to be that the Sky team think Middlesex have this attractive fallback position of taking the draw and the 167k for second (as against 84k for third). What? Middlesex players are really that bothered by an extra few grand (taxed anyway perhaps)?

23 Sep 2016, 10:52 #28

Agreed, Middlesex are the more desperate side, as we have drank from the cup of success and rarely have Middlesex tasted this. The onus I feel is most certainly on them now.

23 Sep 2016, 10:52 #29

Sky talking about us chasing runs this evening at 10 an over. That somehow the onus is on us. That we are the more desperate party. I am not sure where this comes from.

Middlesex have been top of the table for a good while, should have already won the title (but for over-caution that would have caused Peter's laptop to spontaneously combust) and haven't won it for 23 years. I would be furious if I was a Middlesex supporter if come tonight Middlesex are not champions.

A 20/20 comparison is a nonsense too, as the pitch is very slow and low (increasingly even) and the Middlesex captain has full freedom over field placings. If Yorkshire get start to get close, Middlesex can just put 8 on the boundary.

If Middlesex want the better of any deal, forget it, we can try again next year.

Edit: Part of the reasoning seems to be that the Sky team think Middlesex have this attractive fallback position of taking the draw and the 167k for second (as against 84k for third). What? Middlesex players are really that bothered by an extra few grand (taxed anyway perhaps)?
There would be fury on here if we didn't go for the chase, we have nothing to lose. Shouldn't matter to us who wins if it's not us

23 Sep 2016, 10:54 #30

Yep agree with this also they will know that right or wrong a lot of YCCC people feel that everything possible has been done by certain people to lean towards Middlesex winning the title, so maybe that feeling may be taken into consideration