CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 2)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 21st, 2016, 9:06 am #11

Somerset have included 3 spinners so must be expecting turn just because it isn't a bunsen on Day one, doesn't mean it won't be come days 3 and 4.
I am sure it will turn come days 3 or 4. Otherwise, both sides have picked the wrong teams. I think the only point I am making is that they had to make runs in their first innings to stand any chance of winning the championship. This may have had some influence on how the pitch was prepared.

I think the key for today is to bowl them out before they get away from us. You would imagine that this is the same as bowling them out before lunch. Gubbins has said that they "want to get on with it" today, so I think we will see an upping in tempo. Much beyond lunch and they will be taking the game away from us (unless they score at 2 an over, which I very much doubt they will)

September 21st, 2016, 9:10 am #12

Agree Alibor & Martin, we MUST have them out by Lunch, or I fear that will end our winning chances.

September 21st, 2016, 9:41 am #13

not necessarily. If we only get 1 wicket and middx end up with 400 plus, we would need to get 350 and then wait for the middx declaration that must come as they need to win the game.

Conceding a first innings lead of 100 is not the end of the world so long as we get to 350.

These sky commentators are very poor. They are talking about how many batting points middx are going to get. Do they not understand? bonus points for middx now mean absolutely nothing. If they win, they are champions, if they don't and yorkshire or somerset win, they are not. For them it really is that simple.

September 21st, 2016, 9:51 am #14

We have new ball - why not Sidebottom or Willey bowling?

September 21st, 2016, 9:51 am #15

not necessarily. If we only get 1 wicket and middx end up with 400 plus, we would need to get 350 and then wait for the middx declaration that must come as they need to win the game.

Conceding a first innings lead of 100 is not the end of the world so long as we get to 350.

These sky commentators are very poor. They are talking about how many batting points middx are going to get. Do they not understand? bonus points for middx now mean absolutely nothing. If they win, they are champions, if they don't and yorkshire or somerset win, they are not. For them it really is that simple.
Peter, if you listen closely to any of the Sky commentators, except Rob Key, you will think you are on the WRF discussing declarations !

Seriously, their lack of knowledge is all encompassing

Alibor, Bresnan looks more likely to take wickets. Pitch is slow and TB is owling a very good line.

September 21st, 2016, 9:54 am #16

Agree Alibor & Martin, we MUST have them out by Lunch, or I fear that will end our winning chances.
I wonder whether Plunkett would have taken the catch off Gubbins. I can't see Middlesex losing though I hope a miracle happens and Yorkshire win. As for letting Finn play and not Jonathan - can't help thinking Middlesex have been favoured.

September 21st, 2016, 9:57 am #17

Peter, if you listen closely to any of the Sky commentators, except Rob Key, you will think you are on the WRF discussing declarations !

Seriously, their lack of knowledge is all encompassing

Alibor, Bresnan looks more likely to take wickets. Pitch is slow and TB is owling a very good line.
Peter's point about Middlesex not needing any bonus points is an interesting one. It suits them to deny us bowling points if they possibly can. If they keep their wickets in tact (or maybe only lose one more) before 110 overs AND Somerset manage 350 (which they are now well on the way to). Suddenly we need 400 in 110 overs on a sluggish pitch. A big ask.

Judging by the pace of their batting this morning (admittedly against the new ball), this may be part of their calculation

September 21st, 2016, 10:01 am #18

I wonder whether Plunkett would have taken the catch off Gubbins. I can't see Middlesex losing though I hope a miracle happens and Yorkshire win. As for letting Finn play and not Jonathan - can't help thinking Middlesex have been favoured.
it just got a bit more difficult

somerset get their 4th batting point.

now we need to get 4 wickets in next 20 overs and score 350 in 110 overs

September 21st, 2016, 10:08 am #19

You're assuming that Somerset get maximum bowling points....

Gubbins out! well done Brezzie. Now to run through the tail pronto.

September 21st, 2016, 10:08 am #20

it just got a bit more difficult

somerset get their 4th batting point.

now we need to get 4 wickets in next 20 overs and score 350 in 110 overs
Sorry Martin, but you are wrong, it is in middlesex interest for us to still be in with a shout of winning the title and that means we need these bonus points.

If we are not in with a shout in our second innings, do you really think we will chase a difficult target?

thats gubbins finally out now, so an extra bonus point, but we need another and then to get to 350, if we do not do that we cannot win the title....so are under no obligation to risk the defeat that middlesex need to win the title themselves.