CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 1)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 20th, 2016, 12:28 pm #41

Should have played six seamers just to annoy Charles Colville.

September 20th, 2016, 12:31 pm #42

Come on boys !

September 20th, 2016, 12:32 pm #43

Does sid-don still stand by his belief that Plunkett play ahead of Brooks? Brooks's inclusion has already been fully vindicated. Maybe some of the other bowlers could take a couple of wickets each, as well....
Gary: Its always impossible to know what the omitted player would have contributed. Small margins and all that. As I said it was a close call between Brooks and Plunkett and having actually seen both play live quite a bit, in this instance I've had called it the other way. A few runs from LP, a slightly better fielding team with LP on board could influence the game.However no issues with the selected 11 and as I said all along a very tight call.

I'm at work so haven't seen any of the play. We're the drops bad ones or 'tip around the post' jobs? Details please.

September 20th, 2016, 12:34 pm #44

As an aside did Gubbins attend Leeds Uni? Sure I recall him getting a few runs against us in a pre-season game or at least batting a reasonable length of time (2015?)

September 20th, 2016, 12:39 pm #45

Both were catchable Sid-don. Lyth's was low to the ground but one he would normally snap up.

Rafiq's was a worse drop. A cut to backward point/gully to Rafiq's right, about 2 feet from his starting position at (his ) shoulder height. Knocked it up but couldn't get to the rebound

September 20th, 2016, 12:42 pm #46

Leg glance: Thanks for the info. Lyth is almost infallible at 2nd slip so a real pity it went down. Rafiq also has a reasonable pair of hands, so in both instances fielders you'd quite happily see the ball go to.

A defence? Lords especially when looking into the pavilion or Grandstand can be tricky 'seeing' grounds.

September 20th, 2016, 12:45 pm #47

Both were catchable Sid-don. Lyth's was low to the ground but one he would normally snap up.

Rafiq's was a worse drop. A cut to backward point/gully to Rafiq's right, about 2 feet from his starting position at (his ) shoulder height. Knocked it up but couldn't get to the rebound
"Gary: Its always impossible to know what the omitted player would have contributed. Small margins and all that. As I said it was a close call between Brooks and Plunkett and having actually seen both play live quite a bit, in this instance I've had called it the other way. A few runs from LP, a slightly better fielding team with LP on board could influence the game.However no issues with the selected 11 and as I said all along a very tight call."

I saw Plunkett bowling in the Somerset second innings. He was impressive and really gave the batsmen the hurry up and could easily have taken more wickets. In a six man bowling attack you would expect to find space for him. In the end, the judgement was probably not Brooks v Plunkett but Willey v Plunkett, and I think the view must have been that swing would be the better option than Plunkett's pace.

These are fine judgements. The decision right now looks the correct one, but the alternatives suggested by others on the forum are no less legitimate - indeeed we will never know how a slightly different side would have performed.

September 20th, 2016, 12:53 pm #48

Really hope Siddy gets reward for his accurate bowling soon
Formerly known as Egham Tyke :-)

September 20th, 2016, 12:53 pm #49

As an aside did Gubbins attend Leeds Uni? Sure I recall him getting a few runs against us in a pre-season game or at least batting a reasonable length of time (2015?)
Gubbins made his First Class debut for Leeds/Bradford MCCU against Yorkshire on April 5th, 2013.

September 20th, 2016, 12:54 pm #50

"Gary: Its always impossible to know what the omitted player would have contributed. Small margins and all that. As I said it was a close call between Brooks and Plunkett and having actually seen both play live quite a bit, in this instance I've had called it the other way. A few runs from LP, a slightly better fielding team with LP on board could influence the game.However no issues with the selected 11 and as I said all along a very tight call."

I saw Plunkett bowling in the Somerset second innings. He was impressive and really gave the batsmen the hurry up and could easily have taken more wickets. In a six man bowling attack you would expect to find space for him. In the end, the judgement was probably not Brooks v Plunkett but Willey v Plunkett, and I think the view must have been that swing would be the better option than Plunkett's pace.

These are fine judgements. The decision right now looks the correct one, but the alternatives suggested by others on the forum are no less legitimate - indeeed we will never know how a slightly different side would have performed.
Gubbins did to go Leeds uni and hes made at least fifty in each of his last six games. (Cue Egham Tyke..)