Championship l Warwickshire vs Yorkshire (Pre-match thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Championship l Warwickshire vs Yorkshire (Pre-match thread)

April 11th, 2017, 7:20 pm #1

Can Yorkshire come back from a disappointing loss to Hampshire? What is our best lineup considering the opposition, our depleted attack and the annoying ECB?

April 11th, 2017, 7:42 pm #2

Depends who is fit or not by Friday, but Fisher, Willey or Rhodes for Shaw would improve things, and, as a bonus, the latter two would greatly improve the batting.

April 11th, 2017, 8:21 pm #3

Can Yorkshire come back from a disappointing loss to Hampshire? What is our best lineup considering the opposition, our depleted attack and the annoying ECB?
Rashid for Rafiq for starters.

April 11th, 2017, 10:30 pm #4

We might get some clue on Wednesday. Surely they will pull either Willey or Fisher from the 2nd XI friendly in good time.

If Bresnan isn't going to be fit that might mean pulling Rhodes too, despite him being 170 not out.

Dave I suspect your love of Yorkshire youngsters makes your judgement a bit clouded sometimes. Shaw might not have been terrible to you but the fact he only bowled 16 overs in the match, as opposed to 42 by Coad and similar numbers by Patto and Bresnan, I think shows the Captain didn't agree.

Alas when it comes to bowlers my eyesight is now so bad I have to rely on what others say and the stats.

April 12th, 2017, 6:14 am #5

Well whatever team we select, it won't include Root or Bairstow. Elsewhere Broad and Moores at Notts had the cheek to ask Dtrauss to change his mind about not letting Broad play v Durham later this week after only bowling 21 overs in their win over Leicts.

Strauss turned down the request which surprised me as any further chance to hurt Durham might have been on his agenda. Of course if they did let him play the rumblings from Yorkshire might have reached the corridors of Lords fairly quickly.

I hope Willey Rhodes Rashid and Fisher are in contention - let's face it we have a long season ahead and some of our lads must be tired after one or two games and need a rest. Well that's what the ecb think....

April 12th, 2017, 6:22 am #6

To be honest I am finding it hard to remember who is available from England and where we are with injuries.

Its a shame the ECB ridicule the CC in such a way.

My understanding is that Rashid is available. Willey and Fisher played for the Seconds and Rhodes looks to have scored some runs in the same game.

I would love to see Plunkett back if fit, but sounds unlikely.

My realistic 11 is:

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Ballance C
Leaning
Rashid
Bresnan
Hodd WK
Willey
Patterson (Plunkett)
Coad

Lets not rush Fisher back.
Coad cannot be dropped after that effort
I want Willey in the team for left arm variation batting depth

My only other consideration is whether Handscomb could take the glovea and be an able keeper, replacing Hodd bringing n Rhodes.

That would be harsh on Hodd after a 50* in the last game and I am not sure how good handscomb's keeping is.

April 12th, 2017, 8:59 am #7

Rhodes must come into contention having scored 170 not out yesterday?

April 12th, 2017, 9:03 am #8

I agree with your thinking and team Lew.

Hopeful Brez is fit and hopefully Plunkett too.

April 12th, 2017, 9:11 am #9

I'd like Rhodes in too but I can't see Handscomb keeping wicket so my only change to Lew's team would possibly be Rhodes for Willey. I'll trust the club's judgement on who most deserves the place.

April 12th, 2017, 10:29 am #10

Handscomb has looked average with the gloves when i've seen him, albeit in t20s and a small sample size.

Keeping in England would be a new challenge for him aswell as batting at 3. Far too much of a burden. If we drop him down the order, isn't it defeating the object of signing him as a frontline batsman.

Hodd is doing a fair enough job in any case.
Christopher Roger Woakes.