CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

September 3rd, 2016, 2:01 am #1

County Championship Division One, Hampshire v Yorkshire at Southampton, Aug 31-Sep 3, 2016

Yorkshire 281 & 143/2 (42 ov) Hampshire 222
Yorkshire lead by 202 runs with 8 wickets remaining

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Southampton Weather

September 3rd, 2016, 4:28 am #2

Looks like Middlesex will have about an hour to beat Warwickshire, we should have most of the day. Need to bat well to declare at lunch though. 350 lead then (fingers crossed) 2 sessions to blast them out

September 3rd, 2016, 5:46 am #3

I hope Yorks have enough time to force a win - not sure Hampshire would risk losing a "lucky 5 points" for a draw they did not look like getting at the close on second day.

Hants must have been quite happy that bad light prevented nearly a whole day's play after conceding a first innings lead of 59 and Yorkshire going so well in second dig.

September 3rd, 2016, 7:00 am #4

yep, looking at the updated forecast this morning, the rain is not due to arrive in southampton until around 6pm, giving us an excellent chance to force a win. Such a pity we got no play yesterday despite it staying dry all afternoon. Isn't there an argument to play in bad light if both sides agree?

Meanwhile, it looks like middlesex will only have an hour to get 7 wickets. Sweating on middx yesterday afternoon on their victory charge, think it will be their turn to sweat on our performance this afternoon.

We need to declare at lunchtime, or even just before, come what may. Even if we only have a lead of 340. It is unlikely hampshire will get those runs and if they try very likely we can bowl them out.

September 3rd, 2016, 7:06 am #5

Bat for 15 overs get another 75 or so & declare no need to set them 350 that will not give us enough time to win

September 3rd, 2016, 7:36 am #6

That would be very generous to hants, fozzie.

This is a really difficult decision to make. I suspect the team will bat normally all day and 'take the draw' like they did at old trafford.

But there must be a good chance to win if we set them something like 340 in 70 overs. This will give us in effect 2 chances to win. Bowl well and bowl them out, or they get themselves out when needing to up the rate later in the day, i really think hants will go for any reasonable target, and may even bowl joke bowlers this morning in a bid for us to set them something. That way they may get 75 overs to get the 340.

After seeing our behaviour in other games earlier this season, i doubt we will even try to win, unless perhaps middlesex pull off an unlikely win this morning.

September 3rd, 2016, 7:44 am #7

Would want 10 overs at them before lunch so maybe 100 in 20 overs then, very much doubt that we will get all the overs in anyway today

September 3rd, 2016, 8:11 am #8

Assuming Middlesex fail to win, I don't think Yorkshire will give Hampshire a sniff of victory...it might only be one point but Middlesex will have had their lead cut with all to play for.

September 3rd, 2016, 8:19 am #9

We need to bowl at some point, to get the over rate sorted, I believe it was minus 1 at the end of our first innings, so we need Hampshire to bat at some time to sort it out, or it is a 1 point deduction for us.

Might not gain a point on Middlesex if neither side play.

As for the bad light issue --- It used to be the case that if both sides wanted to carry on then they would. It was changed some time ago to the umpires always deciding if and when to go off for bad light. The teams now do not have that choice. If the umpires decide the light is to bad, the teams have to go off. A crazy ruling in cases where both teams want to play on.

September 3rd, 2016, 8:50 am #10

Edgbaston looks like it's raining till about 5.

Ours looks ok most of the day.

In cloudy conditions I fancy us to knock them over. A quick fire 80 in 10 overs would do the trick. See them 280 and challenge them to go for it in 85 odd overs.