CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 3rd, 2016, 9:05 am #11

No Lewis, thats way too generous.

140 in 20 overs is as generous as i would be comfortable with....that would leave them needing around 340 in 74 overs. Gettable if they bat well, but with 74 overs to bowl we would have an excellent chance of bowling them out.

September 3rd, 2016, 9:09 am #12

Edgbaston looks like it's raining till about 5.

Ours looks ok most of the day.

In cloudy conditions I fancy us to knock them over. A quick fire 80 in 10 overs would do the trick. See them 280 and challenge them to go for it in 85 odd overs.
I suspect we'll be quite advantageous today, although I'd be more confident about that statement if we knew a little more about how the pitch was playing.

I suspect we'll go for it early on and look to set them 330 - I think we'll be aiming at scoring another 130 in (approx) 18 overs giving us 10 overs at them pre-lunch. I suspect we'll lose some overs late in the day. I also suspect Hamps will hang on one way or another.

Bad light: Stu is right that the umps are now the sole determinant of light. My early memories are of batsmen 'appealing against the light' so I assume without an appeal the game carried on? My personal playing experience, dark days of evening league cricket, is that light effects fielding more than batting so the change is fair enough. My beef is that the bar is set to low and the game stops in conditions where it would be fair and reasonable to play on. Conditions may not be prefect but they are often playable when the game stops.

September 3rd, 2016, 9:10 am #13

No Lewis, thats way too generous.

140 in 20 overs is as generous as i would be comfortable with....that would leave them needing around 340 in 74 overs. Gettable if they bat well, but with 74 overs to bowl we would have an excellent chance of bowling them out.
I wouldn't fancy Hants to get 350 whether they had 70 or 170 overs.
Christopher Roger Woakes.

September 3rd, 2016, 9:14 am #14

I suspect we'll be quite advantageous today, although I'd be more confident about that statement if we knew a little more about how the pitch was playing.

I suspect we'll go for it early on and look to set them 330 - I think we'll be aiming at scoring another 130 in (approx) 18 overs giving us 10 overs at them pre-lunch. I suspect we'll lose some overs late in the day. I also suspect Hamps will hang on one way or another.

Bad light: Stu is right that the umps are now the sole determinant of light. My early memories are of batsmen 'appealing against the light' so I assume without an appeal the game carried on? My personal playing experience, dark days of evening league cricket, is that light effects fielding more than batting so the change is fair enough. My beef is that the bar is set to low and the game stops in conditions where it would be fair and reasonable to play on. Conditions may not be prefect but they are often playable when the game stops.
Exactly Dwight.

280 is a tough score to get batting last though granted we have lost a day practically to the rain.

Maybe edge closer to 300-320 to be safer but the key is we need to give ourselves enough overs before the rain comes.

September 3rd, 2016, 9:31 am #15

With nine wickets left and already a decent lead I think put fifty on at a decent pace and if there are still wickets in hand go knto full on T20 mode for the rest. No point knocking it around at three an over and declaring with nine wickets left. Let's get at them as soon as possible!

September 3rd, 2016, 9:36 am #16

Exactly Dwight.

280 is a tough score to get batting last though granted we have lost a day practically to the rain.

Maybe edge closer to 300-320 to be safer but the key is we need to give ourselves enough overs before the rain comes.
For the life of me i cannot understand how the umpires can suspend play for bad light when BOTH sides are happy to play.

I can understand the rule for offering the batsmen the light as being unfair as they would stay on if advantageous to them or go off if not, with the bowling side getting no input. but if both sides want to play who the hell are the umpires to say no.

September 3rd, 2016, 9:41 am #17

With nine wickets left and already a decent lead I think put fifty on at a decent pace and if there are still wickets in hand go knto full on T20 mode for the rest. No point knocking it around at three an over and declaring with nine wickets left. Let's get at them as soon as possible!
True it's barmy to go OFF if both sides agree to play ON in bad light....unless it is dangerous.

But as for yesterday, I am pretty certain Hampshire were very happy to go off when they were under the cosh. They will be relieved if they get 9 points from a match when it looked like they might only get 4.

September 3rd, 2016, 9:41 am #18

For the life of me i cannot understand how the umpires can suspend play for bad light when BOTH sides are happy to play.

I can understand the rule for offering the batsmen the light as being unfair as they would stay on if advantageous to them or go off if not, with the bowling side getting no input. but if both sides want to play who the hell are the umpires to say no.
doubt looking at rain today we will get more than 4 hrs in today

September 3rd, 2016, 9:49 am #19

yes Papag, have to agree with you. Does that mean the declaration is adjusted? it should be, maybe get a quick 60 in 6 overs then declare.

Short range forecasting is very accurate, especially when its a huge rain band that will cover the entire country.

confirmed. no play in birmingham.

September 3rd, 2016, 9:58 am #20

The reason they go off if umpires consider bad light despite view of teams is legal - if there was an injury umpires risk action

There have been instances at club level where players have taken action for playing in unfit conditions

Umpires are in a difficult position

Sign of the times not saying it is right

Covers on at edgbaston according to Middlesex Twitter