Captain Root

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Captain Root

December 12th, 2016, 4:00 pm #1

Some of the selections, reading of pitches, field placing and bowling options have been poor.

It's a tough call but I think this test in particular has put a lot of question marks about Cooks captaincy.

Maybe Root bringing himself on to bowl when Cook was off the field might be the catalyst.

December 12th, 2016, 4:41 pm #2

Only ever captained 4 first class matches.

Child on the way in January.

Still finding his way in the Number 3 position.

THE pivotal player in all 3 formats for England.

Would Root captaining in India have made any difference to the result?

For me, if Cook wants to stay on as captain then he should. Root has enough on his plate as it is, we mustn't burden him down just yet.

December 12th, 2016, 5:08 pm #3

Cook himself has already intimated he's reconsidering his position, I believe Joe would have the backing of all around him, including the general cricketing loving public at large?

'Cometh the hour, cometh the man'

December 12th, 2016, 6:30 pm #4

The way he was talking earlier does suggest Cook will resign. Root is the only viable alternative at the moment.

December 12th, 2016, 11:09 pm #5

Some of the selections, reading of pitches, field placing and bowling options have been poor.

It's a tough call but I think this test in particular has put a lot of question marks about Cooks captaincy.

Maybe Root bringing himself on to bowl when Cook was off the field might be the catalyst.
In the interim I'd give the captaincy to Broad, about time we had a bowler as captain, Root to get it 18 months-2 years time.

December 13th, 2016, 7:04 am #6

I would stick with Cook.

This is India away. We are still rebuilding.

Let's also not forget that Cook himself has only seen his new daughter twice. That must be a serious challenge on his renowned concentration.

He should have given up the captaincy for Bangladesh. Or there really should not have been a tour there, the players look tired.

Root should be batting 4 and maybe take over after the Away Ashes series.

December 13th, 2016, 9:46 am #7

They look totally inept at dealing with Kohli and Ashwin so tiredness is an excuse.

December 13th, 2016, 9:53 am #8

I would stick with Cook.

This is India away. We are still rebuilding.

Let's also not forget that Cook himself has only seen his new daughter twice. That must be a serious challenge on his renowned concentration.

He should have given up the captaincy for Bangladesh. Or there really should not have been a tour there, the players look tired.

Root should be batting 4 and maybe take over after the Away Ashes series.
Always thought Cook would want to stay as captain until after next winter and be in charge down under for the Ashes. Thought he would be really motivated to do well after last time in Australia. Would stand down after that and be no surprise if he retired as a player as well same with Jimmy Anderson.

After next week he wont be playing for England again until July and can pick and choose games for Essex so plenty of time to recharge the batteries.

January 6th, 2017, 8:48 am #9

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/con ... 75768.html

Despite what some other commentators have said George Dobell seems pretty sure that the decision on the captaincy is Cook's to make.

I hope he makes the right decision, which for me would be to continue playing but relinquish the captaincy.

January 6th, 2017, 10:29 am #10

Why is Strauss trying to rush Cook into making a decision? The next test isn't until July 6, and you would have thought that by mid-May Cook would have had enough time to wind down and make a rational, rather than emotional, decision.

Perhaps, as Dobell hopes, he already has, but Strauss does seem to have an unfortunately confrontational management style.

Personally, I hope Cook stays until after Oz 2017/18, with Root taking over a winning team after that.
Bowlers win matches