Can we still win the title?

15 Sep 2016, 12:18 #11

I am not sure we need 5 seamers ? If we have to bowl so many overs as to need so many bowlers then Middlesex would have a big score on the board in any case .
We also need to make enough runs to ensure that even if we win Somerset don't pip us .

15 Sep 2016, 12:20 #12

I agree but I'm regarding Bresnan as a batsman in that line up. Plunkett is in decent nick as shown yesterday. Would Leaning or Rhodes provide more runs on current form?

15 Sep 2016, 12:23 #13

EYT --- Did you see the bowling figures from the last match, not to mention the runs that Plunkett scored. Brooks had a shocker.

Who else do you suggest we take out of the side to bring Patto in, or is just a case of fiercely attack every posting I make.

15 Sep 2016, 12:31 #14

I am not sure we need 5 seamers ? If we have to bowl so many overs as to need so many bowlers then Middlesex would have a big score on the board in any case .
We also need to make enough runs to ensure that even if we win Somerset don't pip us .
First things first, Middlesex deserve to win the title, they've been the best side, but hey if we can win then try to win we must

One of the reasons why they deserve to win is they are unbeaten, so they mustn't get bowled out very often, we'll need more bowlers, a draw is no use.

I'd go with
Lyth
Lees
Balance (or Overseas player???)
Gale
Bresnan
Rashid
Rafiq
Hodd
Patterson or Plunkett
Brooks
Sidebottom

Win a good toss, go for the win, not worry about the points, hope for the best

15 Sep 2016, 12:45 #15

I agree but I'm regarding Bresnan as a batsman in that line up. Plunkett is in decent nick as shown yesterday. Would Leaning or Rhodes provide more runs on current form?
Rhodes is on loan at Essex for rest of season.Unsure if we could recall him even if we wanted to.Shaw came back earlier in the season though.

15 Sep 2016, 12:46 #16

Seadog , point taken , yes .

15 Sep 2016, 12:56 #17

First things first, Middlesex deserve to win the title, they've been the best side, but hey if we can win then try to win we must

One of the reasons why they deserve to win is they are unbeaten, so they mustn't get bowled out very often, we'll need more bowlers, a draw is no use.

I'd go with
Lyth
Lees
Gale
Bresnan
Rashid
Rafiq
Hodd
Patterson or Plunkett
Brooks
Sidebottom

Agree, we have to win so we need to get 20 wickets and have as many bowlers in the side as feasable. Realistically if the replacement for Lehmann is Leaning, is he going to get any more runs than the extra bowler if that is Plunkett, Willey or Rafiq.

If we don`t win, I would prefer a loss than a draw, as the draw would hand Somerset the title, if they win, which they do not deserve with their dodgy pitches and no points deductions.

A draw probably sees us third, a loss also sees us third, so it`s win or bust!! 20 wickets or third, so why not pick the extra bowler.

15 Sep 2016, 12:58 #18

I'd go with
Lyth
Lees
Gale
Bresnan
Rashid
Rafiq
Hodd
Patterson or Plunkett
Brooks
Sidebottom

Hmm. We are a batsman down (Lehmann). Not sure we then go even further and leave out Ballance for an unidentified overseas player? Ballance clearly had a poor game at Headingley but his six previous innings in the championship are 71,20,10,72,1,101. Not bad.

If we can magic someone for this final game to replace Lehmann, then we would presumably leave the batting line up as is, with the only decision being who to leave out for Patto

For what it is worth, I am with Stu on this one. I thought Plunkett bowled well at Headingley with aggression and was reasonably accurate (there were a couple of edges that made his figures look worse than they are). Plus he played a good hand with the bat. We can't afford a Brooks off day in that final game. We sorely missed Patto - so for me he has to play

15 Sep 2016, 13:08 #19

Is it really a case of you're only as good as your last match?

Dropping our leading wicket taker for the past 3 seasons.

Let's not forget he took 7 wickets in both the recent wins against Durham and Notts. Also 8 of the 14 wickets we took against Hants.

Brooks underrated on this forum because he goes for a few runs.

If Patterson comes back on and we want Plunkett in too, then don't enterain Leaning who has offered zero this season.

My darling Maxi

15 Sep 2016, 13:08 #20

Hmm. We are a batsman down (Lehmann). Not sure we then go even further and leave out Ballance for an unidentified overseas player? Ballance clearly had a poor game at Headingley but his six previous innings in the championship are 71,20,10,72,1,101. Not bad.

If we can magic someone for this final game to replace Lehmann, then we would presumably leave the batting line up as is, with the only decision being who to leave out for Patto

For what it is worth, I am with Stu on this one. I thought Plunkett bowled well at Headingley with aggression and was reasonably accurate (there were a couple of edges that made his figures look worse than they are). Plus he played a good hand with the bat. We can't afford a Brooks off day in that final game. We sorely missed Patto - so for me he has to play
Middlesex playing cautiously with only 50 overs remaining and still batting. We need to play aggressively at Lords. Unless conditions suggest otherwise, I would take advantage of the ECB rule and put them in and then try to bowl them out cheaply. Like at Scarborough, I would make Ballance captain (Gale had bad back!) and if we cannot get Bairstow (who would replace Hodd) I would play Lyth, Lees, Ballance, Leaning, Bresnan, Rashid, Plunkett, Hodd, Patterson, Brooks and Sidebottom. We will need to win the match, so an extra bowler playing Bresnan mainly for batting would be useful.