Borthwick

08 Sep 2016, 07:27 #11

I'd say its lack of strength in depth.

08 Sep 2016, 07:28 #12

Because he's captain.
Hello Jacobus24

You might as well tell us what reaction you are after. Just so we don't miss out.

I'm happy to say that I prefer the Yorkshire team to maintain a predominantly Yorkshire identity. (Note predominantly, not Solely). Be that born & nurtured (eg Lyth), nurtured only (eg Leaning) or born only (eg Plunkett).

I have no problem with some non-Yorkshire-identity players playing in the team. You mentioned Brooks for example. We've got Brooks, Hodd, Ballance, Willey, Lehmann. They're unlikely to all play in the same team. But, I would not like to see the number of non-identity players creep above this 4/5 level.

And, in case you're wondering, yes, even at the expense of winning titles.

Hope that clarifies.

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

08 Sep 2016, 07:35 #13

I'd like more respect for one day cricket and less bias in general. Duckett would replace Hodd in my opinion. I have no problem with Andrew Gale as long as he scores his fair share of runs on a regular basis.

08 Sep 2016, 07:37 #14

Hello Jacobus24

You might as well tell us what reaction you are after. Just so we don't miss out.

I'm happy to say that I prefer the Yorkshire team to maintain a predominantly Yorkshire identity. (Note predominantly, not Solely). Be that born & nurtured (eg Lyth), nurtured only (eg Leaning) or born only (eg Plunkett).

I have no problem with some non-Yorkshire-identity players playing in the team. You mentioned Brooks for example. We've got Brooks, Hodd, Ballance, Willey, Lehmann. They're unlikely to all play in the same team. But, I would not like to see the number of non-identity players creep above this 4/5 level.

Hope that clarifies.

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
I agree with Phil.
I'm happy as it is - but i want to see Coad and Fisher getting chances in the future.
I dont want us to sign Borthwick or Duckett.

08 Sep 2016, 07:39 #15

Hello Jacobus24

Hope that clarifies.

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
I would look at Duckett and not worry about the England factor. If he gets in the current side it will be for one day stuff and they can't just add him to the squad without omitting anyone. The openers look secure, Morgan is skipper and Root is the backbone so with Stokes being an all rounder then it's one of Bairstow or Buttler to make way. I think Buttler has the edge with one day selection despite his missed stumping ladt night that seems to have had little publicity whereas Johnny would have been hunt from the nearest scaffolding.

So duckett would replace Bairstow in the squad who only gets a game when butler injured.

With Billings the blue eyed southern boy in the squad they won't need three back up stumpers

08 Sep 2016, 08:19 #16

I'm okay with signing players from other counties if they can significantly improve the team. I don't think Borthwick can do this, but Duckett surely can.

08 Sep 2016, 08:19 #17

I would look at Duckett and not worry about the England factor. If he gets in the current side it will be for one day stuff and they can't just add him to the squad without omitting anyone. The openers look secure, Morgan is skipper and Root is the backbone so with Stokes being an all rounder then it's one of Bairstow or Buttler to make way. I think Buttler has the edge with one day selection despite his missed stumping ladt night that seems to have had little publicity whereas Johnny would have been hunt from the nearest scaffolding.

So duckett would replace Bairstow in the squad who only gets a game when butler injured.

With Billings the blue eyed southern boy in the squad they won't need three back up stumpers
I'm okay with signing players from other counties if they can significantly improve the team. I don't think Borthwick can do this, but Duckett surely can.

08 Sep 2016, 08:28 #18

Would we want someone as two faced as Ben Duckett? He consistently says in the press that he is happy where he is, but then signs for Yorkshire!

I am joking of course, but he really doesn't seem to be planning to move clubs:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... 55139.html

08 Sep 2016, 08:30 #19

I agree it seems to be a moot point. He doesn't seem interested in leaving and is still under contract.

08 Sep 2016, 09:01 #20

I was under the impression that Northants wanted Willey to leave last year to ease there financial problems so the same might apply to Duckett.
Also Duckett may have been advised that he might stand a better chance getting into the England side if he were playing for one of the bigger counties.

I predict he will leave Northants during the close season weather to Yorkshire or not is another matter. I am non-plused if it is to us and like others prefer us to have a strong Yorkshire identity in the team.