Bish Bash Bosh

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Bish Bash Bosh

January 4th, 2018, 8:46 am #1

Some Yorkshire interest in the Aussie BBL with Willey opening batting and bowling for his team (I struggle to know which team is which with some cities having two teams) and Yorkshire born Tymal Mills playing for Hobart Hurricanes in today’s game. The oppo feature Head and Jake Lehmann as well as Rashid (khan not Adil sadly).

I’m sure old boys like Finch and Maxwell will be somewhere too.

I think this is the best t20 tournament with a sensible number of teams of decent quality and better scheduling in a dedicated window of the season. I wonder if the test team will play some games when the series ends as warm ups for the one day series?

January 4th, 2018, 11:08 am #2

The Bash is excellent, easily the best of the T20 comps.

The Aussies have got it all going for them...Christmas holidays (unlike our August, families with two dollars to rub together do not go abroad), a plethora of big Aussie Rules ovals everywhere, most of the population living in the big cities, and the climate, with warmth and early darkness (though it was cold in Adelaide for the D/N Test). They also have public transport in Oz cities, a system that actually works.

Our mistake is in trying to copy them, when we haven't got the grounds or the weather, and where our population is spread much more homogeneously than in Oz.

I did hear Michael Vaughan complaining that people had told him they would never support a team called Leeds. Nobody has ever said it will be called Leeds, he stated.

Well, Michael, if it's a city-based franchise, and it's based in Leeds, what else would you call it?
Bowlers win matches

January 4th, 2018, 11:51 am #3

Some Yorkshire interest in the Aussie BBL with Willey opening batting and bowling for his team (I struggle to know which team is which with some cities having two teams) and Yorkshire born Tymal Mills playing for Hobart Hurricanes in today’s game. The oppo feature Head and Jake Lehmann as well as Rashid (khan not Adil sadly).

I think this is the best t20 tournament with a sensible number of teams of decent quality and better scheduling in a dedicated window of the season. I wonder if the test team will play some games when the series ends as warm ups for the one day series?
According to a report in the Times the other day "The ECB has decided that, unlike the IPL and BBL, the teams [in the new t20 league] will not be named after either the city, county or venue at which they are based" (Sorry, can't give link as it is behind their paywall)

So what does that leave? Maybe a random animal - would you support the Aardvarks? Or the name of the captain - Rooties Rebels? (Yes, I know Root is unlikely to play) In ancient Rome, the chariot racing teams were just the Blues and the Greens, that might be the simplest solution.

David

January 4th, 2018, 12:56 pm #4

So a team will be playng at Headingley, possibly televised, possibly with no Yorkshire players in, called the Tigers (or such similar name), and they expect 1000`s of punters to go and watch the game?? Really, the ECB are in cloud cuckoo land.

January 4th, 2018, 2:26 pm #5

The ECB claim to believe in an entirely new and untapped audience, no previous loyalties, no previous experience, no previous knowledge. Behind this of course, lie the TV companies. Anything they are prepared to pay enough for, the ECB will try to provide, regardless of what it means for the game they have in their custody. The only thing worse than this scheme failing, is it succeeding.

Apparently the ECB have so little faith in their product as it stands, and so little respect for those of us who love it, that they are prepared to endorse just about any version of it which will make quick bucks. I don't know why they want to keep the name of the sport, never mind the teams.

January 4th, 2018, 4:26 pm #6

Perhaps the teams will be called something which identifies them with the Clubs which play at the selected venue.
Thus the Leeds based team may well be called Vikings; the Birmingham based team Bears....

Whatever; I won’t be in attendance.

January 4th, 2018, 4:35 pm #7

A withering and devastating critique, Idle Man.

There’ sonly one thing wrong: it happens to be accurate…

January 4th, 2018, 8:44 pm #8

Maybe I'm in the minority here but to me sport is so much more interesting when I care who wins. Without team loyalties I do enjoy sport but not to the same extent and would certainly be much less likely to pay to watch it. Surely the ECB need to make people "get behind" one team or another if they are to make it a success?

January 4th, 2018, 9:38 pm #9

Just to say, I will never support Leeds. It evokes no loyalty from me.

January 5th, 2018, 2:56 am #10

"The Bash is excellent, easily the best of the T20 comps.

The Aussies have got it all going for them...Christmas holidays (unlike our August, families with two dollars to rub together do not go abroad), a plethora of big Aussie Rules ovals everywhere, most of the population living in the big cities, and the climate, with warmth and early darkness (though it was cold in Adelaide for the D/N Test). They also have public transport in Oz cities, a system that actually works.

Our mistake is in trying to copy them, when we haven't got the grounds or the weather, and where our population is spread much more homogeneously than in Oz."

Last seasons T20 Blast has seen crowds increase when playing matches in peak summer, something like 17% and an average attendance above 9000, comparable to domestic rugby and league one football. Also Headingley did well to attract a large crowd for the West Indies test match, attendances last seen since South Africa 2012.

Whilst some supporters on the forum are stubbornly against the T20 competition (in some cases not going to matches), the new type of spectator as described exists and have been thoroughly entertained by Yorkshire's brand of t20 cricket despite a disappointing Blast campaign.
No Pyrah, no party