Best Yorkshire one day team

Best Yorkshire one day team

16 Feb 2017, 21:05 #1

Some serious matters currently on other threads, so for some light relief.

A regular winter discussion has been our all time Yorkshire eleven (first class). A variation for the current winter. Select your all time Yorkshire one-day eleven from players who've played one day cricket for the county.

A few rules:

Players must have played an A list match for Yorkshire and selection is based upon one day performance.

The following are unavailable. DB Close and FS Trueman (not really YCCC one day players).

Only one overseas player

Game is 40 overs per side - old Sunday league rules.

I'll start:

Craig White
Geoff Boycott
Joe Root
Darren Lehmann
Jonny Bairstow (wk)
Gary Ballance
Adil Rashid
Graham Stevenson
Tim Bresnan
Darren Gough
Ray Illingworth (C)

However I may reflect further and amend.

17 Feb 2017, 07:48 #2

So, the only man to captain Yorkshire to more than one one-day trophy is not available because he's 'not really a Yorkshire one-day player'?

17 Feb 2017, 13:07 #3

Idle man - poor use of words by me when describing Close and Trueman - apologies.

My context to the question. I've really enjoyed previous threads when we've selected theoretical 'great' Yorkshire teams. We've had wonderful posts and I've learned a lot. However, when all has been said, there is a nucleus of players who in 'all time great' YCCCs elevens have to play (Trueman, Hirst, Verity, Rhodes, Hutton, Sutcliffe, Boycott, Close). There's limited debate and we're often talking about players we've never seen play.

With recent one day cricket, I'd suggest it's more uncertain who we collectively rate the highest. We can construct arguments based on performance and people we've all seen play. To stimulate debate I omitted two players (Close and Trueman) who would be automatic 'picks' for most.

As an aside Close and Trueman did play little A list cricket for Yorks - Close 32 games and Trueman 11. Close played most of his one day cricket at Somerset.

17 Feb 2017, 13:17 #4

Vaughan
Elliott (yes, for one knock but it won us the trophy!)
Root
McGrath
J Bairstow
White
Bresnan
Plunkett
Rashid
Gough
R Sidebottom

17 Feb 2017, 14:54 #5

Vaughan
Moxon
Root
Love
J Bairstow
D Bairstow
White
Bresnan
Stevenson
Rashid
Gough
R Sidebottm

17 Feb 2017, 15:44 #6

Moxon (capt.)
Metcalfe
Root
Bairstow (J)
White
Bevan
Old
Rashid
Stevenson
Gough
Sidebottom (R)

17 Feb 2017, 16:37 #7

In many ways much more difficult than picking a four day outfit where the basics of the game and the approach haven't changed so much.

I suspect if we still played 40 over cricket scores of 300+ would happen frequently. The temptation is to pick players from yesteryear (e.g. Stevenson) who were aggressive then and who would fit in with the modern day tempo - but they were outliers in their day. We will never know how players who now seem pedestrian by modern standards might have fared were they brought up with today's style of cricket. So Carberry is a good example of someone who generally plays technically correct cricket - is by no means a slogger. You suspect that Moxon would have been capable of playing a similar role in the modern game. He could score quickly when needed.

By contrast, you suspect that the lack of quality spinners in the modern game means that Illingworth and Carrick would walk into any one day side now. But then if they were playing now would they be as good as they were then? Carrick's list A record was 249 wickets @30 SR of 47. Economy of 3.86 Very handy indeed by today's standards/

18 Feb 2017, 11:18 #8

Craig White (C)
Ashley Metcalfe
Joe Root
Jonny Bairstow (wk)
Gary Ballance
Michael Bevan
Graham Stevenson
Tim Bresnan
Liam Plunkett
Adil Rashid
Chris Old

18 Feb 2017, 13:04 #9

Just for old times' sake, I think the team should include Arnie Sidebottom, who would bowl his overs straight off at the beginning of the innings and then be helped off to have his back massaged.

19 Feb 2017, 10:21 #10

My team:

Michael Lumb
Phil Robinson
Joe Root
Jonny Bairstow (wk)
Michael Bevan (o)
Gary Ballance
Craig White (c)
Tim Bresnan
Darren Gough
Graham Stevenson