Benefits

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Benefits

October 7th, 2016, 8:39 am #1

Benefits for next year to be split between Sid and Patto.
It seems a shame that Patto cant have a whole year to himself really..?
Sid has been a terrific player - for us and Notts - but surely he must have had a benefit already...?
I wonder if this was part of the negotiation around an extra year's contract.
I suspect a benefit for Patto could mean a lot for his future health and prosperity.

October 7th, 2016, 9:12 am #2

I hope that everybody gets behind patto's benefit year the main reason he as never had the big money that ECB pay just a very honest county pro who gives everything .

October 7th, 2016, 9:16 am #3

Benefits for next year to be split between Sid and Patto.
It seems a shame that Patto cant have a whole year to himself really..?
Sid has been a terrific player - for us and Notts - but surely he must have had a benefit already...?
I wonder if this was part of the negotiation around an extra year's contract.
I suspect a benefit for Patto could mean a lot for his future health and prosperity.
I really don't understand benefits these days. Will Patto get much? Recent benefits seem to have a focus on fund-raising for charities, at least publicly. Does the beneficiary take a certain proportion - or none at all?

If Ryan has had a benefit it would have been at Notts. Did this happen?

A new anomaly is the grant of a benefit for centrally contracted players. If the funds go to charity entirely, fair enough I suppose, but why a county should run a benefit for someone else's employee is beyond me. I didn't begrudge Tim B personally - far from it, and I wouldn't begrudge Jonny or Joe personally either, but the latter would surely be able to raise as much money with a couple of advertising contracts.

October 7th, 2016, 9:23 am #4

Maybe Patto will be seeking to do something with his maths degree from Leeds Uni??

October 7th, 2016, 9:25 am #5

I really don't understand benefits these days. Will Patto get much? Recent benefits seem to have a focus on fund-raising for charities, at least publicly. Does the beneficiary take a certain proportion - or none at all?

If Ryan has had a benefit it would have been at Notts. Did this happen?

A new anomaly is the grant of a benefit for centrally contracted players. If the funds go to charity entirely, fair enough I suppose, but why a county should run a benefit for someone else's employee is beyond me. I didn't begrudge Tim B personally - far from it, and I wouldn't begrudge Jonny or Joe personally either, but the latter would surely be able to raise as much money with a couple of advertising contracts.
I don't know how benefits work nowadays but Patto is exactly the kind of player they should reward.

October 7th, 2016, 11:06 am #6

I believe Sidebottom's award is a testimonial rather than a benefit. He almost certainly had a benefit while with Notts. It is not unheard of for players to receive a second recognition after twenty years. Boycott certainly did.
The first time I recall the proceeds (of a Yorkshire player) being split, was Michael Vaughan. A proportion of his benefit went to the Sheffield Children's Hospital. He also wanted to donate a sum to the Yorkshire Academy but was unable to do so as it does not exist as an entity in its own right.
I regret that sums raised during benefit years are no longer recorded in the year book. I find this a disincentive to giving. It would also be a courtesy where a cash collection is taken at a match if an announcement were made of the amount raised. This could be done by a member of the benefit committee.

October 7th, 2016, 11:08 am #7

I don't know how benefits work nowadays but Patto is exactly the kind of player they should reward.
Agreed, as were Andrew Gale and Richard Pyrah. Ryan too of course, in a different way. However I suspect these things now crop up in contractual discussions and this influences awards as much as anything.

October 7th, 2016, 3:26 pm #8

Has to be said, out dated concept which needs to be consigned to history. These are well paid professional sports men. I find the whole thing rather embarrassing.

October 7th, 2016, 4:29 pm #9

Agree in many ways, but I ask again, what is the balance between money to the player, and money for their chosen charities? If it all goes to charity it would be quite contemporary in character.

October 7th, 2016, 4:54 pm #10

I think it's more a way to recognise a great servant than get them some more cash. Like testimonials in football; they don't need money, but commitment deserve recognition