Batting Next Season

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Batting Next Season

September 14th, 2016, 1:58 pm #1

Come 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the league, there is no doubt our batting line up needs a serious overhaul next season:

Lyth - Quality player, but out of form for 2 years now. Keep but on thin ice.
Lees - See above, but (this game apart) shown signs of recovering form over last few weeks. Keep
Ballance - An enigma. Would do us a favour if England pick him. Keep (in the hope that England take him of our hands).
Gale - Should never play for Yorkshire again after Lord's. Complete passenger, captain or not . -Get rid
Leaning - See Lyth but on thinner ice. Keep/Get rid, not bothered either way.
Rhodes - Waste of a National Insurance Number - Get rid.
Hodd - See Rhodes
Bresnan - Better than all of the above on present form - move to no 6 permanently.

September 14th, 2016, 2:04 pm #2

Assuming JB will not play then we need a wicket keeper who can consistently score runs at 6 . And a batsman at 3 who can make 1000 runs . Then Ballance at 4 where he is fine .

September 14th, 2016, 2:28 pm #3

Come 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the league, there is no doubt our batting line up needs a serious overhaul next season:

Lyth - Quality player, but out of form for 2 years now. Keep but on thin ice.
Lees - See above, but (this game apart) shown signs of recovering form over last few weeks. Keep
Ballance - An enigma. Would do us a favour if England pick him. Keep (in the hope that England take him of our hands).
Gale - Should never play for Yorkshire again after Lord's. Complete passenger, captain or not . -Get rid
Leaning - See Lyth but on thinner ice. Keep/Get rid, not bothered either way.
Rhodes - Waste of a National Insurance Number - Get rid.
Hodd - See Rhodes
Bresnan - Better than all of the above on present form - move to no 6 permanently.
Lyth and Lees just only 2 of 10 players to score 1000 runs in the CC this season and they're on thin ice!

Scrap that, replied only after reading the first two assessments, now read the rest, seems like trolling to me.

September 14th, 2016, 2:41 pm #4

not really sure where this batting problem is coming from.

There are 7 other teams in the league that would love our batting problem

lest we forget, we have scored more batting points this season than anybody else.

Hate to think what we would be saying if we had the warwickshire batsmen.

Sure, we had a failure in the first innings this week, but without looking, i am sure that most if not all teams have at some stage or another this season scored below 200

September 14th, 2016, 2:50 pm #5

StuFletch (not the 80s one, I assume): I wouldn't 'get rid' of anyone, especially not Gale, who has sweated blood for the county for all his adult life. If you think he has had his time, is too much to use the term 'suggest retirement'? The others, 'suggest release'?

Peter: we look at the same pitch and see different games !!

September 14th, 2016, 3:07 pm #6

but my version is reflected in the cc table.

how can we say that we have an awful batting team and yet outscore all other sides in batting points?

September 14th, 2016, 3:19 pm #7

StuFletch (not the 80s one, I assume): I wouldn't 'get rid' of anyone, especially not Gale, who has sweated blood for the county for all his adult life. If you think he has had his time, is too much to use the term 'suggest retirement'? The others, 'suggest release'?

Peter: we look at the same pitch and see different games !!
Neil Hartley sweated blood for the county. Shall we bring him back? To retain Gale would be absurd. I would be saying exactly the same if we won the Championship again

September 14th, 2016, 3:22 pm #8

not really sure where this batting problem is coming from.

There are 7 other teams in the league that would love our batting problem

lest we forget, we have scored more batting points this season than anybody else.

Hate to think what we would be saying if we had the warwickshire batsmen.

Sure, we had a failure in the first innings this week, but without looking, i am sure that most if not all teams have at some stage or another this season scored below 200
How many of our batting points have come as a result of numbers 7-11 bailing us out?

We cannot expect to rely on the lower-middle order and tail to get us out of the mire time and time again. Hence my original point about the top 6 being subject to scrutiny.

September 14th, 2016, 3:22 pm #9

Neil Hartley sweated blood for the county. Shall we bring him back? To retain Gale would be absurd. I would be saying exactly the same if we won the Championship again
Gale is a bit of an enigma. He is too young to retire....has he just lost his skill or had a bad season?

I really don't know.

September 14th, 2016, 3:35 pm #10

How many of our batting points have come as a result of numbers 7-11 bailing us out?

We cannot expect to rely on the lower-middle order and tail to get us out of the mire time and time again. Hence my original point about the top 6 being subject to scrutiny.
Ridiculous to say our openers are on thin ice regarding there place in the side.

They have both got over thousand runs this season!!

Yes they could do with a bit if competition, but any county would take either of them