Batting Next Season

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 14th, 2016, 7:15 pm #21

Hodd is recently capped and under contract. I doubt he's going anywhere. Who would replace him? Duckett wants to stay at Northants, Wheater has signed for Essex, Davies is reputedly going to Somerset. Who else is available? Mustard? No thanks.
Hodd is failing the team and the club in all formats, common sense should prevail. My faith in Moxon isn't very high but hopefully he will address this problem.

September 14th, 2016, 7:18 pm #22

Hodd has had a few decent innings, the one against Notts was crucial, ideally would like a better keeper batsman but who is out there can you name some alternatives

September 14th, 2016, 7:29 pm #23

If Duckett has ambition he will sign but that would also depend on us trying to sign him. Dilshan has been a keeper batsman, whether this signing is possible i doubt we'll ever find out.

September 14th, 2016, 7:34 pm #24

Don't think Duckett is keen to keep, he has not kept much this season, would like to sign him though, would benefit his career testing himself in division one, big ask for somebody batting in the top 3 to keep as well especially in 4 day cricket

Dilshan is 40 years old, past his best now, don't remember him keeping

September 14th, 2016, 7:36 pm #25

Dilshan? Do me a favour.

September 14th, 2016, 7:43 pm #26

Sarfraz Ahmed would be a gun signing.
Call for TKC..

September 14th, 2016, 8:00 pm #27

Thanks to ECT and 3rdUmp for their comments. Made me feel better after the start of this thread.

Some of us are accused from time to time of wanting the forum to avoid criticism of the players. I don't think there's any poster of who that is true, but 'waste of an NI no. Get rid' is not a criticism it's an insult. If we did get rid of any of our batsmen, with one possible exception, they could choose from other offers.

The exception of course is poor Andrew Gale, but even this isn't a straightforward decision, as there aren't people knocking on the door either as batsmen or captains. I think I would now say it's time to move on, but the case is weakened by the enforced change at the top. I don't see an obvious alternative. Rafiq has some of the required qualities but recent frailties worry me and he is far from being an automatic choice. I'd probably go for Lees, but with concerns and I can see the case for another year of Gale.

As far as the batting is concerned, some write as if we were a rich football club who could just have a major clear out and buy in quality outsiders. We would argue about whether that's desirable. It's certainly not possible.

We're a good side, but we've underperformed a bit this year. We're still going into the final game with an outside chance of being champions. This isn't a crisis.
It's far from a crisis. We've got to two one-day semi-finals for probably the first time ever, and face a play-off to potentially win the title again.

Compared to the last two seasons we've underperformed, but when you consider the injuries, international call-ups that have plagued the season and any chance if a consistent line-up, I think we've done very well

September 14th, 2016, 8:45 pm #28

I suspect the club is looking for a quality domestic signing if it can (a batsman). If they also happen to keep wicket then this is a bonus. By insisting on a wicket keeper we would be limiting our choices because I don't think the club are in a position to sign a wicket keeper, a batsman and an overseas pro - where is the money coming from for that? In any event all of the obvious choices are either spoken for or unavailable. Given Brooks and Willey being at the club, I suspect if Duckett did want to come we would stand a very good chance of signing him, but the fact is that he has stated several times that he does not want to come.

My own view is that a quality keeper with a better batting record is a "nice to have". Overall our numbers 7-11 in our typical team are a stronger batting line up than many other teams enjoy, and compensate for Hodd not being a wizz with the bat. That isnt to say that we had a choice of a stronger wicket keeper batsman we shouldnt bite their hand off, but I just dont think it is perhaps as much of an issue as others suggest. Having a top six firing on all cylinders is.

I should also say that our record in signing domestic players since JG joined us has been pretty good. I recall that it when it was a choice between Brooks and Harris, most cricket watchers felt that Harris had more potential. What has he done in the last four years?

September 14th, 2016, 8:55 pm #29

Oh dear.
This is a horrible thread and,sadly, such contributions are becoming far too common.
Robust discussion of valid topics is admirable and healthy.
Wit, charm and intelligence is an added enrichment.
These qualities have distinguished the site. Please let's try to reassert them and avoid trashy, angry vitriol.

September 14th, 2016, 9:00 pm #30

Tyke 1950: Hear hear to your previous comment.

This thread is somewhat apt on the day of the ECB 'city' T20 vote. Not good.