bad light - a thing of the past?

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

bad light - a thing of the past?

August 30th, 2017, 6:58 am #1

Many congratulations to the west indies yesterday.

I am all for allowing a game to continue in poor light, but can,t help thinking that if yesterday had been day 2 of the test they would have abandoned play with an hour to go.

If conditions were suitable for play yesterday then the same conditions on other occasions should also been deemed fit for play no matter what the match situation is at that time.

So has a precedent now been set that bad light is never an issue when the lights are on no matter what coloured ball is being used?

August 30th, 2017, 7:07 am #2

The guys on TMS were saying the same thing while hoping upon hope that the umpires were brave and keep the players on the pitch. Don't think the batsmen would have come off without being dragged off though
Formerly known as Egham Tyke :-)

August 30th, 2017, 7:15 am #3

I am all for allowing a game to continue in poor light, but can,t help thinking that if yesterday had been day 2 of the test they would have abandoned play with an hour to go.

If conditions were suitable for play yesterday then the same conditions on other occasions should also been deemed fit for play no matter what the match situation is at that time.

So has a precedent now been set that bad light is never an issue when the lights are on no matter what coloured ball is being used?
Fair point and one which shows the inconsistency around. If that had been Yorks v anyone in the CC with no TV and only the 'faithful' in the ground we'd have been off soon after tea.

Well played to all concerned but the bar has been set.....

August 30th, 2017, 7:26 am #4

It was also suggested that they should have switched to a pink ball....

August 30th, 2017, 7:45 am #5

As no precedent had been set by any earlier bad light in the game, the umpires had total discretion and used it, I think, wisely.

August 30th, 2017, 7:47 am #6

The umpires might have been within the laws of the game taking the players off last night for bad light but would have been terrible advert for test match cricket and some may even have speculated something fishy was going off
Only the most ardent England fan would have wanted a draw in those circumstances.

Now really looking forward to following the 3rd Test at Lords now.

August 30th, 2017, 7:56 am #7

And i thought the blatant English time wasting was a little unfortunate..
Well done the Umpires.

August 30th, 2017, 7:59 am #8

Fraisse, discretion should not come into it at all

Either conditions are suitable for play in which case they play....
Or they are unfit in which case the umpires have to take them off.

When dealing with bad light the argument is a safety issue. If bad light makes play dangerous they should go off no matter what the match situation is...otherwise they play.

What would have happened had someone been seriously injured or worse? It would be no defence to say well they only wanted 20 to win.

A cricket ball can and does kill has as been tragically demonstrated in the past.

If the umpires deemed conditions were safe then similar conditions in future matches should be equally so deemed.

August 30th, 2017, 8:41 am #9

Agreed. They took England off against the Aussies in 2013 in no worse light than yesterday. When England only required about 20 to win. Series was already won so it wasn't such a brave decision i guess, but as you say the state of the game should be irrelevant.

Call for TKC..

August 30th, 2017, 9:00 am #10

Quite a difficult problem with no easy or satisfactory answers.

The Umpires are, especially in Test match cricket, totally neutral but I'm sure the ICC Umpires are briefed on trying to do their best for the paying customers.

If we'd been in danger of losing to most other international sides, Australia for instance, the crowd and pundits would have been on the umpires backs to take the players off.

Gut feeling it was right for the good of cricket yesterday to keep going, but I'm as fickle as the next man.