Arthur Dolphin

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Arthur Dolphin

July 4th, 2017, 10:54 am #1

Arthur Dolphin, Yorkshire's regular wicketkeeper between 1910 and 1927, got a mention on the radio commentary yesterday. Sadly, neither Anthony Gibson nor Dave Townsend seemed to have heard of him (Gibson's famous father, Alan, may well be spinning in his grave).
I noticed many years ago that in Dolphin's only test match, the fourth test against Australia at Melbourne in 1921, both wicketkeepers were born in Yorkshire - Dolphin at Wilsden near Bingley and Australia's "Sammy" Carter, the famous undertaker, at Northowram in Halifax. I wonder if anything similar has happened before or since.
Just as a footnote, Ces Parkin (Durham-born, but at one point a Yorkshire player) and Harry Makepeace (Yorkshire-born, but a Lancashire cricketer) also played in that test.

July 4th, 2017, 10:58 am #2

Possibility that when Luke Ronchi played for New Zealand v Australia that both keepers from same state?

July 5th, 2017, 7:02 am #3

Arthur Dolphin, Yorkshire's regular wicketkeeper between 1910 and 1927, got a mention on the radio commentary yesterday. Sadly, neither Anthony Gibson nor Dave Townsend seemed to have heard of him (Gibson's famous father, Alan, may well be spinning in his grave).
I noticed many years ago that in Dolphin's only test match, the fourth test against Australia at Melbourne in 1921, both wicketkeepers were born in Yorkshire - Dolphin at Wilsden near Bingley and Australia's "Sammy" Carter, the famous undertaker, at Northowram in Halifax. I wonder if anything similar has happened before or since.
Just as a footnote, Ces Parkin (Durham-born, but at one point a Yorkshire player) and Harry Makepeace (Yorkshire-born, but a Lancashire cricketer) also played in that test.
I would think that there are many examples of K Pieterson playing against his native South Africa. At a guess I would suspect Hashim Amla and Pieterson, as both come from Natal.

July 5th, 2017, 7:10 am #4

When looking at the excellent photographs of Scarborough from the late thirties, I thought that I recognised one of the umpire's as Arthur Dolphin - not that I knew him personally!

July 5th, 2017, 7:45 am #5

I can recall seeing a dolphin at Scarborough too. Back in the 70s I think there was a sea world by the open air pool on the roundabout near bottom end of Peasholm Park and I recall being plucked from the audience to go up and stroke the dolphin. Not sure Arthur would have been as welcoming....

July 5th, 2017, 9:41 am #6

Which inevitably leads us on to the subject of cricketers named after sea creatures......?

(Don't fail me now.)

July 5th, 2017, 10:20 am #7

Prawn Pollock?

July 5th, 2017, 10:25 am #8

Beradius bairdii (i.e Baird's Beaked Whale)

There was an Australian called Sam Baird on Derbyshire's books a few years ago, but I do not think that he ever played in the First XI.

July 5th, 2017, 10:51 am #9

Nathan SeaLion
Laurie Fishlock

Plus

Steven Finn
Arjuna RanaTUNA
Wally Trout
Virat Coley
Phil Mustard Eel
Ray Lindwall
Zander de Bruyn

July 5th, 2017, 2:18 pm #10

There is of course the Lancs league player Albert Ross

http://middleton.play-cricket.com/websi ... ts/2808821