Alex Lees

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Alex Lees

September 9th, 2016, 7:26 pm #1

There's been a lot of talk about Hameed at Lancashire potentially playing for England, and rightly so. But Lees has now got more runs this season, albeit in 3 more innings.

So with Hales' place in the England team under threat, I just wonder why Lees hasn't been talked about.

Naturally I don't want him to be another playing missing from Yorkshire next season, but is he potentially good enough with few other names jumping out?

Personally I would say maybe he's not ready yet, but with another season or two he could be, he seems to have the right temperament and has had a good season after a poor one last time. He just needs to convert more half centuries into centuries

But Hameed has 4 centuries and 7 fifties; Lees has 3 100s and 7 fifties

Just a thought anyway. I'm just struggling to find many names as potential replacements for Hales and Vince
Keaton Jennings?
Sam Robson recall?

What are people's thoughts?

September 9th, 2016, 7:30 pm #2

If Alex Lees had to face the likes of sidders, brooks and bressie, his average would suffer.

September 9th, 2016, 7:39 pm #3

Hope not, we lose enough players to England as it is!

seriously though, he must be on the shortlist, i am sure i remember the Sky guys talking him up early in the season when they televised our championship game with Notts, daft as it sounds, that doesn't hurt his cause, media coverage.

September 9th, 2016, 8:14 pm #4

I really like Lees. I feel his career has taken the route of many other very talented young batsmen.

He was superb during his first full season. Then over the last year or so he's been up and down.

In the long run I think this will make him a better player. He's openly spoke of the need to improve against spin, but I think he's improved as a batsman in the last few months.

Next season I feel he and Lyth could be immense.

September 9th, 2016, 8:17 pm #5

I think there's no doubt that he suffered last season because of the lack of a stable opening partner. It generally fluctuated between Rhodes then later Hodd.

Now Lyth is back they're forming a formidable partnership like they did 2 years ago and hopefully this can continue into next season. If it does, the selectors may unfortunately be sniffing around...

September 9th, 2016, 9:40 pm #6

Keaton Jennings does deserve an upgrade. Hales is going nowhere slowly. Alex Lees is not too far down the pecking order now. I think he should take the captaincy from Galey for next season's CC.

September 9th, 2016, 10:22 pm #7

Alex is a very good player who might have suffered from being talked up too early.
He has one or two issues that I think he still needs to fully attend to. His footwork can be a bit uncertain against spin but most notably he flirts outside off stump too readily and can give the slips too much practice early in his innings.
It may well be that his progress has been slightly impeded by the captaincy responsibilities given to him at such an early stage in his development.
Clearly Moxon and Gillespie think very highly of him. I can't think of a higher testimonial.

September 9th, 2016, 10:29 pm #8

Keaton Jennings does deserve an upgrade. Hales is going nowhere slowly. Alex Lees is not too far down the pecking order now. I think he should take the captaincy from Galey for next season's CC.
I think he's had a pretty good season but he's our second best opener.

September 10th, 2016, 8:02 am #9

We seem to have gone from having no opener options to quite a few.

Hameed sounds like a guarantee for the India tour. Then factor in Bell-Drummond, Gubbins, Robson, Duckett even and we seem to have some options alongside Lees.

September 10th, 2016, 8:31 am #10

im really hoping the lad hameed gets go pretty soon, for a couple of reasons

Hales is clearly not a test player.
selfishly we get to keep Lees

Maybe as cooks time comes the opening bat for england might be Lees and Hameed??

as for the middle order is Duckett good enough and ready? i had him down as a one day dasher but he averages 44 in FC cricket.