Alex Lees

15 Jun 2017, 18:25 #31

Lots of concentration on Alex Lees on a few other threads.

It may well be that a move away from the Club is in the best interests of all parties, but that's something only the coaches and the player can sort out.

From a cricketing viewpoint he is either suffering from loss of form or loss of confidence or both. On a personal level who knows!

At the moment he is a decent but not top class opening batsman in CC cricket who will probably be first choice unless or until somebody better becomes available. That might well be as early as next season.

I don't see him as having any role in white ball cricket unless we are down to the bare bones due to International calls in 50 overs and never, ever, in T20.

It's a mute point whether he is going backwards but he doesn't seem to be improving with age.

A vote of thanks but no wailing or gnashing of teeth from me if he goes.
This is where the coaches earn their money. We don't want to lose what could be an outstanding talent, and it's very possible he could produce an avalanche of runs when he gets his head together. Someone in the Headingley backroom will know what makes him tick much better than we do. I certainly don't want to lose him at such an early age, unless he has set his mind on leaving, and I find that heard to believe.

15 Jun 2017, 18:51 #32

It may well be that a move away from the Club is in the best interests of all parties, but that's something only the coaches and the player can sort out.

From a cricketing viewpoint he is either suffering from loss of form or loss of confidence or both. On a personal level who knows!

At the moment he is a decent but not top class opening batsman in CC cricket who will probably be first choice unless or until somebody better becomes available. That might well be as early as next season.

I don't see him as having any role in white ball cricket unless we are down to the bare bones due to International calls in 50 overs and never, ever, in T20.

It's a mute point whether he is going backwards but he doesn't seem to be improving with age.

Regarding the nature of threads: well informed comment and discussion is great. Ill informed speculation and guess work isn't. My personal opinion is that this discussion has stayed the right side of that divide.

15 Jun 2017, 19:28 #33

Can i add Dictorial and Headnigleey to the misspelled X1.
God knows what we'll do if Cola Kadmaw ever gets selected....

I like watching Alex bat.
Hes a good player - he just needs to start enjoying his cricket again...

15 Jun 2017, 19:40 #34

That's a very good point.

I probably won't be around when Alex writes his autobiography, but if I were, and if it's full of bile and resentment about this period of his Yorkshire career, I would have to ask him why he stayed.

This is 2017 not the 1960's.

15 Jun 2017, 19:46 #35

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patto

Now all we need to do is find a cricketer called King-Crimson-Soft-Machine....

15 Jun 2017, 21:47 #36

Thanks Steve. He had an unreleased album called 'Monkey's Bum'??!! I can't imagine anything less Patto-like. Boxer I do remember vaguely, but have no memory of what they sounded like.

And yes, in the end a good thread, with various sensible judgements on Alex. My prediction too would be that he'll score a lot of runs for us.

15 Jun 2017, 22:56 #37

Many thanks for highlighting the grammar issues Steve! true to form, as facetious (hoping I spelt that correctly) as ever.

16 Jun 2017, 06:12 #38

"Dictorial", the adjective from "dictor" or speaker, is used in linguistics and linguistic philosophy (e.g. the work of R.M. Hare). It's a perfectly proper word and is spelt correctly here, but I'm not sure how it applies to this forum.
On the subject of Alex Lees, is there really such a huge problem here or is this one of those discussions that wouldn't have happened if his big heave into the outfield on Tuesday had gone sailing over the boundary rope instead of down Pope's throat?

16 Jun 2017, 07:20 #39

From Wikipedia:<blockquote>Timebox developed from a complicated pedigree that included members of The Bo Street Runners, Patto's People and Chicago Blue Line. </blockquote>

I think we have a new name for the NLOP brigade (either that or some really low-grade interval entertainment for the T20 competition).

16 Jun 2017, 07:29 #40

The debate been brewing long before Tuesday.
My darling Maxi