A recurring nightmare

A recurring nightmare

11 May 2017, 15:04 #1

I see Gary Ballance has moved to the top of the PCA MVP table. (overall performance in all formats)

This of course plays into my recurring nightmare that Mr. Ballance will be called up for England duties - possibly in more than one format. Given that he is the Yorkshire captain and has single-handily won several matches for us already this year, and has proven to be our only reliable run-maker, would Yorkshire still be a contender without him in the lineup? Note also that Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Willy and Plunkett will all be missing for some or most of the remainder of the season.

Is Yorkshire's season in the "Ballance," and now essentially dependent on the whims of the "giant brains" at the ECB?

11 May 2017, 15:17 #2

My nightmare is more players being picked for the lions team. If they take coad and fisher or others we will struggle.

11 May 2017, 16:03 #3

I see Gary Ballance has moved to the top of the PCA MVP table. (overall performance in all formats)

This of course plays into my recurring nightmare that Mr. Ballance will be called up for England duties - possibly in more than one format. Given that he is the Yorkshire captain and has single-handily won several matches for us already this year, and has proven to be our only reliable run-maker, would Yorkshire still be a contender without him in the lineup? Note also that Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Willy and Plunkett will all be missing for some or most of the remainder of the season.

Is Yorkshire's season in the "Ballance," and now essentially dependent on the whims of the "giant brains" at the ECB?
Probably the reason Patto batted at 5 today and scored 45* for the 2s.

You think I'm not serious?
Bowlers win matches

11 May 2017, 16:05 #4

Since Ballance has an England incremental contract, there is always going to be a possibility of an England recall if he is amongst the runs.

I would not be surprised if Ballance is called up to England's Champions Trophy squad as an injury replacement, he is the 4th highest England qualified run scorer in the Royal London Cup. Same with Peter Handscomb for Australia who is the 2nd leading runscorer

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/royal-lon ... tournament

(on a side note, a certain overhyped Lancastrian is not even on the list)

In the unlikely event of losing both Handscomb and Ballance to the Champions Trophy, Yorkshire's batting will look rather light. Andrew Gale might need to get his pads on!

Lyth
Lees
Tattersall/Callis
Leaning
Rhodes
Bresnan
Hodd
Rafiq
Brooks
Sidebottom
Coad

No Pyrah, no party

11 May 2017, 16:10 #5

(on a side note, a certain overhyped Lancastrian is not even on the list)

Who?

11 May 2017, 17:51 #6

It's not IF Ballance will be called up, it's WHEN.

Ballance in the first third of the season. (First-class and List A)

Runs 934
Avg. 103.78
50's 4
100's 4

11 May 2017, 18:15 #7

I can't see Ballance coming into the England equation until at least the second Test series of the summer, unless there's an injury crisis.

They won't change their Champions Trophy side now and if they get a batting injury Bairstow will move in and the much hyped Livingstone will come in as cover.

The selectors will surely give Hameed and Jennings at least the SA series before hitting the panic button if they don't make the grade.

They might even still be daft enough to entertain playing Buttler as a batsman.

Root may speak up for him of course but I should imagine he would want to get his feet under the table before he starts making suggestions.

If he could have a couple of unlucky dismissals in the next couple of games that might be good, as long as someone else gets the winning runs for Yorkshire of course.

11 May 2017, 18:58 #8

I'd think Jennings might be ahead of Livingstone as the next ODI batsman. I think he's a much better player and has a bit of England squad experience

11 May 2017, 19:40 #9

If memory serves me right the issue with Balance was technique to tall pacemen with bouncers as part of their armery.

In the CC I can think of Wood, Helm, J Overton, Footitt and Wood who have at least the pace. Stone apparently has pace but he is injured.

My point is that he is back to his brilliant best but have no idea if he has overcome those issues.

Livingstone is someone I rate and would prefer instead of Ali batting 7. He looks steady with the ball and very impressive with the bat.

11 May 2017, 19:45 #10

He's good enough, its 'when' not 'if'. I think he'll make the overseas tour, not so sure about the summer series.

Although people such as Guddins, Bell-drummond, Northeast, Malan, Clarke, Alsop as well as Livingstone come into consideration, I think Gary is the best of the lot and we know 'England' do like him.