5th Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Sydney (Match thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

5th Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Sydney (Match thread)

January 4th, 2018, 4:30 am #1

Jan 4-8, 2018 - 5th Test at Sydney Cricket Ground

Live Live scorecard

January 4th, 2018, 8:05 am #2

Bonkers last half hour led by Root getting out when set playing an attacking shot against the new Ball with 15 minutes left.

His dismissal was the reason for Bairstows dismissal and if it isn’t then the decision not to send in a Nightwatchman even more bonkers.

Not great from our two players changing the course of the game in ten mad minutes to sum up the series

January 4th, 2018, 8:18 am #3

Live Live scorecard
Yup.
In those two dismissals i suspect the game has gone. We'll be lucky to get 300 now.
Who is Daniel Norcross on TMS?
I quite like him but unusually i dont remember him as a former player..?
I also really like Ebony Rainford Brent.

January 4th, 2018, 9:32 am #4

Live Live scorecard
No sensible nightwatchman available, is there?
Re the TMS commentators, Norcross is excellent, as is Ebony. They bring a new voice and perspective, plus good humour. Here is a not exactly comprehensive summary of Dan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Norcross

I thoroughly like Graeme Swann too, for similar reasons. Ed Smith a little too bland for my taste.
Looks like Deja Vu here, 400 minimum needed, we'll probably get under 300 and face 200+ deficit, unless Mo comes out and plays as we know he can. I can\t see 50 runs from that tail, certainly not with a newish ball.

January 5th, 2018, 9:14 am #5

Live Live scorecard
Deja vu.....all over again.

Early wicket to give hope then little prospect of any wickets thereafter. With no Stokes, Woakes, Overton, Finn, Plunkett or any left armer, the seam attack is reliant on the old lags and they can't go on forever.

January 5th, 2018, 10:47 pm #6

Live Live scorecard
England need a good couple of sessions on the third day or this could get very ugly indeed.

Think I agree with Brian on Bairstow coming out to bat late on the first evening. It was the first over with the new ball with Starc bowling fast, shadows across the pitch, and I think it might have been dangerous for anyone one else in those circumstances. Perhaps Tom Curran could have handled it but it was asking a lot. Anyway the damage has been done now.

At least the England management must know for certain now that Mooen can only ever be classed as a batting all rounder who can bowl a bit of spin.

It will be interesting to see if the first choice spinner for this match does any better. I'm not too optimistic but would love to be proved wrong.

Good body language and self confidence will only get you so far if you can't back it up.

January 5th, 2018, 11:05 pm #7

Live Live scorecard
Same crowd moaning about Bairstow being wasted at 7 wanted him to bat 7 here... Fair play to him for not dodging the responsibility.
Call for TKC..

January 7th, 2018, 9:32 am #8

Live Live scorecard
Looks like Joe Root is determined not to get himself out this time so it at least shows he is still learning.

Terrible day for England yet again. All the bowlers have been poor and with the exception of Anderson an argument can be made to replace the lot of them.

Never convinced by Vince but now it seems even the solid looking Stoneman has flattered to deceive and may not be a long term fixture.

January 7th, 2018, 4:00 pm #9

Live Live scorecard
it's the same old story that you get in football players on good money who just plod on it is the same with England Anderson and broad just going through the motions on a nice little holiday, and when they come back to England they will be world beaters .

January 8th, 2018, 8:54 am #10

Live Live scorecard
I think anyone who reckons Anderson has been "just going through the motions on a nice little holiday" has been watching a different series.