5th Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Sydney (Match thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

January 8th, 2018, 9:45 am #11

Jan 4-8, 2018 - 5th Test at Sydney Cricket Ground

Live Live scorecard
Must pay tribute to Joe 'Eddie Paynter' Root for his brave innings today after being in hospital following the hottest day in Sydney's history. Courageous, maybe even foolhardy, but he's setting a great example.
Rest was dire as ever, unfortunately. Only the captain, Anderson, Cook, Malan and Barstow really emerge with any credit after this nightmare tour.

January 8th, 2018, 10:03 am #12

Live Live scorecard
Yep not sure i understand the criticism of Anderson, ok he hasn't got that many wickets but 17 at 27ish is hardly terrible, 70 maidens and series economy of 2.11. Even in this game where everyone else has gone at 3s and 4s he bowled 34 overs for 56. I wish a few more had gone through the motions!

Call for TKC..

January 8th, 2018, 10:14 am #13

Live Live scorecard
I don't know how you can pay tribute to COOK he has only had one inning and that was on a pudding of a pitch.

January 8th, 2018, 12:47 pm #14

Live Live scorecard
Thank God its all over. Looking forward to a decent nights sleep.

January 8th, 2018, 1:38 pm #15

Live Live scorecard
For me, only Anderson and Malan come out of the series in credit.

January 8th, 2018, 4:17 pm #16

Live Live scorecard
According to Anderson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42601156

I would like to know what is a disaster then?

January 8th, 2018, 10:04 pm #17

Live Live scorecard
I think it is hard to criticise Anderson in isolation but the bowling attack is built around him as our strike bowler. In which case 17 wickets isn't good enough. Bowling attritionally isn't his job, taking wickets is.

I think he has a role in the team but if he isn't going to get a hatful then we really do need to find someone who is.

If his low haul is down to the other bowlers leaking runs then perhaps it needs a new bowling attack BUT is it worth building an attack to support Anderson at his age? (I don't know the answer btw)

All-in-all there are more questions than answers after the tour.

Personally - Cook should be asked to play next summer while Stoneman is given a chance to make the spot his own, Vince is out, Root obviously stays (not sure about as captain), Malan stays, Bairstow obviously stays, Stokes back in, Ali given a chance to prove himself as a batsman (he can bowl part time spin but he needs to be in the team because he can bat - I would argue he needs to move up the order to prove himself), Anderson & Broad need to rethink their roles, Woakes needs to get back up to speed but I think he has potential.

So one more quick and a genuine spinner. With an eye on developing another opener. Curran, both Overtons, Wood, TRJ all deserve watching.

It would have been a much closer series with Stokes but it is the spinner and the genuine quick bowler that we were short. But I said that before we flew out.

January 9th, 2018, 6:09 am #18

Live Live scorecard
Seadog 73 stated that only Anderson & Malan finished the tour with any credit. I hope he was only referring to "On the field performances" I have gotten sick of seeing Anderson on our TV whinging incessantly about everything he could think of for excuses in defeat, Australia have not got a top class side by a long way but they wasted their time playing against the garbage England sent over to represent them in Australia, Cane shit me of with the number of occasions he ran up to bowl and stopped before he released the ball, was this some kind of ploy to intimidate our batsmen? and is this a new time wasting plot the poms have come up with? if not he wants his hands smacking and dropping back into District cricket until he tidies up his deliveries....talking of intimidation, I don't think a fielder should be allowed to stand nearer than 5 metres from a batsman for their own safety some of the Poms were hit with the ball when the batsmen struck out. I don't think a batsman should be blamed for any subsequent injury.
I wont be watching any of the remaining matches of the tour and I hope they don't let the whinging Poms take command of our already low standard TVs

January 9th, 2018, 7:44 am #19

Live Live scorecard
Of course I was referring to on field performances. No offence pal, but the rest of your post makes little sense.

January 9th, 2018, 9:13 am #20

Live Live scorecard
OK seadog 73 so my e-mail make little sense, THAT IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT ANDERSON. only he made NONSENSE with all his blabbering.