4th Test | India vs England at Mumbai (Match thread)

08 Dec 2016, 10:27 #21

Well done Jennings, maybe now the selectors will believe in form shown in the first division.
I still wonder how Leach would have fared.
Dave that is fascinating. I just did your finger/door thing -- found I am left eye dominant. Never knew that. I am right handed at nearly everything, BUT, as an eight year old at Whitby with bow in my hand for the first time, found that I naturally drew left handed (i.e. bow in right hand, string in left). It's puzzled me for 50 years. And now you've solved it.

08 Dec 2016, 10:55 #22

Starting to look like a pitch where you would like to have 3 spinners in your team. Oops.
Only if your 3rd spinner is good enough though.

08 Dec 2016, 10:57 #23

Fair point.

08 Dec 2016, 16:10 #24

Jennings, like Hameed, has had a proper grounding (with good coaching) and knows how to play. I suspect Gubbins is the same. Buttler, on the other hand, is having to work it out as he goes along, in a Test Match! Obviously he is talented, and it was fascinating to see him improve, the longer he batted.

Sir Geoffrey was going on about playing all three openers, Jennings at 3 (which happened in his day with John Edrich), then Root at 4, Gubbins at 5, and Stokes / Bairstow at 6 /7, he was insistent.

Given that, of the bowlers, quite a few are decent batsmen, this looks like a long and balanced line-up. Geoffrey reminded us of the excellence of Mark Wood, too.

Cook, Hameed, Jennings, Root, Gubbins; Bairstow, Stokes; two of Ali, Rashid, Wood; Broad, Anderson.

Woakes got a mention, too.

If there really are three Durham products in our best 13, the treatment of Durham becomes entirely incomprehensible. Killing the goose that continues to lay golden eggs. There's also an 8 : 3 : 2 North : Midlands : South split!

08 Dec 2016, 20:59 #25

I wonder if the BBC would consider a change of role for our beloved Sir Geoffrey. I think he talks a lot of sense, especially in his end of day podcast. If he could only concentrate on the cricket, especially on the match in progress.

Uuuuuuunnnnnfortunately he becomes more and more a caricature of himself when talking about cricket in his day and, his attempts at humour with whoever is commentating, particularly with Prakash in this case, and with Agnew all the time drive me up the wall.

A ten minutes stint before play and after every session would be great. But not during play, please.

08 Dec 2016, 22:19 #26

Same thing happened to Fred I'm afraid. Started off as a breath of fresh air on the air, but eventually became a caricature, far too fond of his own voice.

09 Dec 2016, 11:07 #27

I like Geoff Boycott a lot as a commentator, not heard much in this series though but have to agree he sometimes becomes a caricature of himself.

I think another who is going that way is Bob Willis who seems to want to play up to his grumpy old git reputation a bit too much at times. But I enjoy him being a bit downbeat at times as everyone else on Sky in what ever sport is always telling you have wonderful everything is.

09 Dec 2016, 16:04 #28

Boycott & Willis are genuine 'old school' type cricket commentators much in the mould of the great Freddie T. They say what they see and are not afraid to offend or step on tender, all to easily bruised toes. By comparison, most modern day commentators, pundits and analysts tend to sit on the fence, wary of their producers' listening ear and ultimately their juicy contracts!

Give me sincerity and passion any day over a jobsworth !

09 Dec 2016, 16:57 #29

It's during commentary that the problem lays. Unfortunately you can't listen to cricket on TMS with the sound down. No problem with his forthright views, it's his attempts at banter I can't bear.

Back to the cricket, not bad from England getting to 400 but who's going to get the remaining 19 wickets to win us the game.

In the words of Sir Geoffrey 'picking 4 seamers was barmy' he may have used slightly more forthright language.

09 Dec 2016, 20:38 #30

Four seamers is barmy although who you would pick from the rest of the squad to replace Ball is a tough call.

Ballance and Duckett are unselectable and should have been shipped off to Dubai to get a game with the Lions. Batty lacked any potency or control in the last test and Finn must be enjoying his holidays and sightseeing safe in the knowledge his chances of a game are nil. Broad is injured.

Would Dawson have been any better? I can't see how a bloke who gets loaned out for four day cricket to a second division county can make a test squad in a million years but clearly his face fits as being a good lad from the odi squad.