2nd Test | India vs England at Visakhapatnam (Match thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

2nd Test | India vs England at Visakhapatnam (Match thread)

November 17th, 2016, 1:49 am #1

India v England at Visakhapatnam, Nov 17-21, 2016

England from: AN Cook*, MM Ali, JM Anderson, ZS Ansari, JM Bairstow†, JT Ball, GS Ballance, GJ Batty, SCJ Broad, JC Buttler†, BM Duckett, ST Finn, H Hameed, AU Rashid, JE Root, BA Stokes, CR Woakes

India from: V Kohli*, R Ashwin, G Gambhir, RA Jadeja, A Mishra, Mohammed Shami, KK Nair, HH Pandya, CA Pujara, AM Rahane, KL Rahul, WP Saha, I Sharma, M Vijay, J Yadav, UT Yadav

Live Scorecard

November 17th, 2016, 8:25 am #2

I can understand them picking Anderson on his record for England but I cannot agree with dropping Woakes, who has done nothing wrong, and brings so much more than his bowling.

From what I understand he has been given a diplomatic 'niggle' in order to cover the change, but he was fit to play.

November 17th, 2016, 9:24 am #3

Three hundreds in consecutive tests. Doesn't get picked up in IPL so what chances of overseas signing at least early season again?

November 17th, 2016, 10:09 am #4

I'm concerned that costs are being reduced so if Pujara gets signed that would probably mean only 1 signing for T20 when 2 overseas are needed.

November 17th, 2016, 10:56 am #5

Pujara would be my choice as well. None of the others suggested in this article......

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricke ... e/?ref=mac

...will be available until the end of May, unlike Pujara who never gets selected for the IPL. Very likely, if we wanted him, that we would get him for most of the season. We could then sign two other overseas, specifically for the T20 tournament, which, I believe, is to be "blocked" this season in July/August.

November 17th, 2016, 11:27 am #6

When choosing Gale instead of Hodge i feel we have left ourselves at a disadvantage with overseas recruitment, i'm struggling to picture the side moving forward in one day cricket, hopefully with T20 being blocked this will help create success but i'm still very disappointed with the decision to appoint our former captain as coach.

November 17th, 2016, 11:38 am #7

Pujara was brilliant in his short stay with us. A proper batsman! He was also visibly touched by his farewell from the crowd at Headingley.

I don't think we are at a disadvantage with a Yorkshire coach rather than an overseas one. I am sure that the likes of Pujara, Younus Khan, Williamson, Finch, etc, etc will have been singing our praises to their teammates back home. Elite cricket is a small world, and people do talk. Even Australians, occasionally.
Bowlers win matches

November 17th, 2016, 11:54 am #8

I have no problem with signing Pujara just as long as 2 overseas are still signed in T20.

November 17th, 2016, 12:44 pm #9

Pujara will do for me with Williamson if not available. Lehman not too after that.

I suspect some may see us signing Willey as akin to one overseas player.

I don't see gale appointment making much difference to who we can get from abroad.

November 17th, 2016, 1:01 pm #10

I think Willey is seen as the equivalent of an overseas for T20 - after all he is a mainstay in the national side, and is playing the Big Bash again. He is certainly better quality than some of the overseas players we see in the Blast. I think the best model is one person brought in and another who is (ideally) your season long overseas who also plays in T20 games. Although Pujara isn't noted as a T20 performer, I suspect he would do a very good job at county level.