2nd Test | England vs the West Indies at Headingley (Match Thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

August 28th, 2017, 11:15 am #51

Aug 25-29, 2017 - 2nd Test at Headingley, Leeds

England (from): Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, Tom Westley, Joe Root, Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Toby Roland-Jones, Stuart Broad, Jimmy Anderson, Chris Woakes

West Indies (from): Kraigg Brathwaite, Kieran Powell, Kyle Hope, Shai Hope, Roston Chase, Jermaine Blackwood, Shane Dowrich, Jason Holder, Devendra Bishoo, Kemar Roach, Shannon Gabriel
Can I just add to Daves very good reasons for not attending the test - the hassle of travelling, when the A64 is shut from Bramham cross roads to Leeds and the extra traffic due to the Leeds festival & the Leeds carnival.

I will watch on Sky, thanks.

August 28th, 2017, 11:50 am #52

England (from): Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, Tom Westley, Joe Root, Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Toby Roland-Jones, Stuart Broad, Jimmy Anderson, Chris Woakes

West Indies (from): Kraigg Brathwaite, Kieran Powell, Kyle Hope, Shai Hope, Roston Chase, Jermaine Blackwood, Shane Dowrich, Jason Holder, Devendra Bishoo, Kemar Roach, Shannon Gabriel
Enthralling cricket. I feel as thoough I have stumbled across a proper test match.

August 28th, 2017, 1:34 pm #53

I am watching on Sky but with TMS commentary. There has been little discussion of Gabriel continually no-balling. Why has the umpire not been calling him? The Third Ump must be alerting him, surely.

August 28th, 2017, 1:43 pm #54

Anyone kept score of how many dropped catches there has been in this match? I don't think I can remember a test match with so many. Watching the highlights the overall standard of fielding has been poor.

August 28th, 2017, 1:47 pm #55

Apparently it's too difficult for the umpire because they have so much to concentrate on ( Bumble . not me, saying that).

Obviously there is no technology available to check their decisions is there?

Good point made by Botham is that the bowlers are not having to restrict their game by not being punished unless, of course, it costs them a wicket.

And what about the lost runs?

August 28th, 2017, 1:59 pm #56

Exactly. England have lost runs that could be crucial in the end, although it looks like West Indies heads have dropped now. And the ball is spitting for the spinners, so I'd have thought 150 will be a tough target now.

August 28th, 2017, 2:09 pm #57

"Just add 2 wickets to the score" . the old adage comes into play just as you were posting Brian.

August 28th, 2017, 2:12 pm #58

Yes, but I suspect England have enough now. And batting should get easier as the ball gets older for the seamers.
Yet another dropped catch - Bairstow this time.
Edit
But now Jonny plays a daft shot and goes back to the pavilion.
Well, you can't say it's not entertaining, but I could do with a bit less entertainment and grinding out another 50 from the tail.

August 28th, 2017, 2:16 pm #59

Poor shot from JB.Still want a few more I feel. 200 would be comfortable

August 28th, 2017, 2:21 pm #60

Poor shots from Stokes and Bairstow. Another 70-80 be handy.
Christopher Roger Woakes.