2nd Test | England vs South Africa at Trent Bridge (Match Thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

July 16th, 2017, 7:32 am #41

Jul 14-18, 2017 - 2nd Test at Trent Bridge, Nottingham

ENGLAND from: Joe Root (capt, Yorkshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Keaton Jennings (Durham), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Jonny Bairstow (wkt) (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Mark Wood (Durham), James Anderson (Lancashire), Toby Roland-Jones| (Middlesex)

Live Scorecard
Poor old Gary is on a hiding to nothing it seems.

Watched the highlights last night and I thought he batted better than anyone else except Root. Certainly the dismissals of Ali, Cook, Stokes and even Bairstow were softer than his.

Unfortunately, like the Bairstow keeping problems of last year, which has now hopefully been laid to rest, the pundits have their story and will write it anyway. It could be worse, he does have Dawson to share the column inches with.

Although I would dearly love to have him back captaining Yorkshire I for one hope he makes a decent score in the second innings and cements his place over the rest of the series.

July 16th, 2017, 7:58 am #42

ENGLAND from: Joe Root (capt, Yorkshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Keaton Jennings (Durham), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Jonny Bairstow (wkt) (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Mark Wood (Durham), James Anderson (Lancashire), Toby Roland-Jones| (Middlesex)

Live Scorecard
Yes, you've got to hope for Gary that he plays a match saving, or at least face saving innings. He's unlikely to get another chance. The most likely outcome is that he finishes up like Mark Ramprakash, scoring runs all over the place without the selectors paying the slightest attention. And of course, for us rather than him, that's the ideal outcome.

July 16th, 2017, 8:23 am #43

Live Scorecard
Dobell made a good point that whilst his technique may make him vulnerable to one type if delivery and particular modes of dismissal, he doesn't get caught in the slips as often. I If he had been out caught in the slips driving off the front foot he wouldn't be as conspicuous.

July 16th, 2017, 10:03 am #44

Live Scorecard
Whilst I understand some of the criticism of Ballance why are Jennings, Dawson & Wood not coming in for similar if not more severe criticism?
I have to say that If Liam Dawson is the answer I am flummoxed as to what is the question.

July 16th, 2017, 10:12 am #45

Live Scorecard
Cricket Writers on tv this morning seemed to mention a dozen options.

Bell Drummond, Clarke Westley Lawrence Hameed Malan Vince Hales Lyth Robson Burns Duckett but it's funny how a bloke with two double tons and a decent left arm spun option is never mentioned as he's deemed a bit unfit. Samit Patel must wonder how on earth Daeson is ahead of him at the momrnt

July 16th, 2017, 10:23 am #46

Live Scorecard
The options are certainly there -Stoneman can be added to that list.

July 16th, 2017, 11:23 am #47

Live Scorecard
I agree that Gary is becoming the scapegoat. They play him in the wrong position and he, unsuprisingly, fails, then there are calls for him to be dropped, although he was the second best player in the England innings. Other players in the team also fail to perform, but no mention of them losing there place. Why not play Gary at 5, drop Dawson and bring Stoneman in at 3. Do England really need 4 seamers and two spinners plus the occasional spin of Joe.

July 16th, 2017, 1:29 pm #48

Live Scorecard
I agree Ballance is coming under some unfair scrutinity, particularly when considering that Jennings, Dawson, Cook and Wood have all been ineffective.

July 16th, 2017, 3:06 pm #49

Live Scorecard
I would certainly go for either Stoneman or Malan at 3, Root 4, Ballance 5 etc.

It's probably too early to tell but Bairstow's batting may, perfectly understandably, have dropped off a bit from last years high as his keeping has improved.

Depending on the pitch drop one of the bowlers, Dawson in this case.

July 16th, 2017, 3:54 pm #50

Live Scorecard
You would imagine Woakes will come straight back in once fit, presumably for Dawson or Wood.