2nd Test | Bangladesh vs England at Mirpur (Match thread)

29 Oct 2016, 07:50 #21

The balls obviously softened up making it easier to bat but credit to Rashid and Woakes for getting us into the lead.

Our long batting line-up and Stoke's reverse swing looks like it will make the difference in this test too.

29 Oct 2016, 08:58 #22

You would expect that Ballance has one innings to save his international career, at least in the immediate future.

I to rate him but think he was a better player before Moores tried to make him a number 3 which seems to have dented his excellent natural attacking play.

It's interesting that in a day of England trying to become this proactive, attacking machine, Gary Ballance seems to be the opitomy of the opposite. We should remember he is/was an outstanding limited overs player a few years ago too.

He is still young but needs to come back to Yorkshire, bat at 4 in all competitions and prove himself as our best batsman and maybe in a few years he can return to England, as they certainly see something they do like.

The benefit of this would be massive to Yorkshire too. At a time where we are lacking batting depth and consistency, having Lyth, Lees and Ballance available all the time and in all competitions provides a spine to work around.

29 Oct 2016, 09:27 #23

England slightly ahead after two topsy-turvy first innings' but will their arrogance in selection cost them? This is not a warm-up match, it's a full Test match against an improving side in home conditions against whom we only snuck home in the first match, not a time for experimenting with an eye on the India series.

Why is Batty not playing? He was our best- or certainly most reliable- spinner in the last Test. If they are insistent on playing Ansari- which I don't agree with as I think neither his bowling nor batting or remotely near Test standard- then Rashid should have been the one to drop out. It's quite clear that Cook doesn't trust him; yes for Yorkshire he also often bowls to defensive fields and his main role is often cleaning up the tail, but that is when our seam attack has often blown away the top order, whereas in these conditions you need a lot more from your second spinner. Whether it is down to Rashid's evident lack of consistency or Cook's lack of trust is debatable but as a bowler Rashid is not making a good fist of Test cricket. At least he made some runs today- he must be one of the most talented number 10s in Test history...

Similarly, why is Finn playing? He's always been crap in Asian conditions- avg 38 vs career avg 30- and doesn't look in any rhythm here. And then why did he open the bowling when this is such a vital passage of play? Ansari is on too now- do they actually want to win this game?

Ballance also looks totally done, Hameed surely a better option with Duckett moving to 4.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong later on but the contribution of these three so far is 0-100 in 20 overs and 22 runs between them.

EDIT: that reverse jinxed a wicket out of Ansari at least!

29 Oct 2016, 09:42 #24

Pretty sure Batty will start against India and maybe this was being used as Ansari/Rashid shootout? Should have played all 3 really, Woakes and Stokes enough to cover the seam department on these pitches.
My darling Maxi

30 Oct 2016, 08:42 #25

England 100 without loss at tea. Funny old game cricket.

30 Oct 2016, 09:50 #26

Funny old game indeeed! Now 127-5!

30 Oct 2016, 10:16 #27

Truly impressive performance from young Mehedi great potential, any chance we could borrow him for next season. I can confidently say Ballance won't be called up again for an international in the near future, the lad looks shot but hopefully he can come back stronger for it.

30 Oct 2016, 10:56 #28

England got what they deserved, Test cricket is not the place for auditions and trials, especially away from home against a massively improved side in conditons in which England struggle. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost 5-0 in India, our spinners and play of spin is just terrible.

30 Oct 2016, 10:57 #29

Truly impressive performance from young Mehedi great potential, any chance we could borrow him for next season. I can confidently say Ballance won't be called up again for an international in the near future, the lad looks shot but hopefully he can come back stronger for it.
It has solved one of our problems at 3,4,5 & 6. We get Gary back at 5 for next season. Just 3 more slots to fill!!

30 Oct 2016, 11:11 #30

We'll have Ballance until he makes a decent score after which England will recall him, even if Gary isn't in form (as happened after Middlesex at Scarborough)