20 years ago today

02 Sep 2017, 08:44 #11

So today is the day the Dianna died.

To me it means its 20 years since Lancashire did me out of a day of cricket.

It was a gorgeous Saturday morning and I drove down to Old Trafford to see the 4th day of the Roses game, only to be told the rain had got under the covers so the match was a draw. Yorkshire were on top in the match.

Oddly the next day was horrible. It chucked it down. I didn't bother travelling but one group did & left because it was obvious that there wouldn't be may play. Somehow the Lancy ground staff got the outfield fit enough to play a 10 over slog, which of course Yorkshire lost

It might be 20 years since but I still say typical cheating Lancy scum
That day 20 years ago, I played at Stretford CC, not a million miles from Old Trafford. Stretford's pitch covering was around club average, and we started a bit late, but we got a good game in on a lively rain-freshened surface.

A few days later I was at Headingley and we were talking about a piece in the Cricketer (I think), or possibly in a newspaper, a report about the MCC sending some practice nets to Corfu CC. The locals had no idea what they were so they gave them to fishermen.

"If they'd sent them to Old Trafford they would have covered the pitch with them," said one bloke, which got a heartfelt laugh all round.

Bowlers win matches

02 Sep 2017, 13:22 #12

So today is the day the Dianna died.

To me it means its 20 years since Lancashire did me out of a day of cricket.

It was a gorgeous Saturday morning and I drove down to Old Trafford to see the 4th day of the Roses game, only to be told the rain had got under the covers so the match was a draw. Yorkshire were on top in the match.

Oddly the next day was horrible. It chucked it down. I didn't bother travelling but one group did & left because it was obvious that there wouldn't be may play. Somehow the Lancy ground staff got the outfield fit enough to play a 10 over slog, which of course Yorkshire lost

It might be 20 years since but I still say typical cheating Lancy scum
Yes, Stu, regarding the 1959 match in which Yorkshire secured the County Championship- as you say, we got 215 for 5 in 105 minutes.Just over 28 overs, in fact. That equates to just under 8 per over.Absolutely unheard of in those days, in the County Championship. Not bad for these days either. Imagine, if we could do that to Middlesex.