1st Test | England vs South Africa at Lord's (Match Thread)

06 Jul 2017, 15:58 #11

England from: JE Root*, MM Ali, JM Anderson, JM Bairstow, GS Ballance, SCJ Broad, AN Cook, LA Dawson, KK Jennings, TS Roland-Jones, BA Stokes, MA Wood

South Africa from: D Elgar*, HM Amla, T Bavuma, TB de Bruyn, Q de Kock†, JP Duminy, F du Plessis, HG Kuhn, KA Maharaj, AK Markram, M Morkel, CH Morris, D Olivier, AL Phehlukwayo, VD Philander, K Rabada
Well done Joe!
Thats fantastic.

06 Jul 2017, 16:43 #12

England from: JE Root*, MM Ali, JM Anderson, JM Bairstow, GS Ballance, SCJ Broad, AN Cook, LA Dawson, KK Jennings, TS Roland-Jones, BA Stokes, MA Wood

South Africa from: D Elgar*, HM Amla, T Bavuma, TB de Bruyn, Q de Kock†, JP Duminy, F du Plessis, HG Kuhn, KA Maharaj, AK Markram, M Morkel, CH Morris, D Olivier, AL Phehlukwayo, VD Philander, K Rabada
Just class....

06 Jul 2017, 16:51 #13

He must have taken Yorkshire luck with him to Lords today and left none for the others in scarbados. Stumped off a no ball hiw

06 Jul 2017, 17:05 #14

Brilliant knock, completely seizing the initiative.

06 Jul 2017, 18:10 #15

Went to Lord's. Clearly the right choice. Joe had some luck, but my God, did he ride it. Came through the Long Room at 6.30 to massive warmth. Cheering the roof off.

06 Jul 2017, 19:27 #16

Very much the Joe Root show.

Hope the pitch just doesn't get easier as the match goes on and we are left with a bore draw.

Would like England to get a positive result to mark his first game as captain.

06 Jul 2017, 20:21 #17

Joe was brilliant - and he's not even well. South Africa not up for this game, it seemed. It is a good pitch though, so we certainly need 400 plus, even though on paper their batting looks weakened.
Some of Joe's onside shots from outside off stump were sublime, i thought.

07 Jul 2017, 09:44 #18

Absolutely disgusted by some of the journalism I've seen this morning about Gary B. One innings back and they're talking about 'looking terrified', 'rabbit in the headlights' etc. I still think his style is strange and may be a problem at this level, but the truth is that he looked briefly a little nervous, settled quickly and actually looked less likely to get out than Joe at that point. Even the admirable Syld Berry says he doesn't have to deal with the new ball in county cricket, which is a laughable assessment of the strength of Yorkshire's early partnerships this season.

07 Jul 2017, 09:57 #19

Ballance was also the next highest scorer after Root in the top five. I would still prefer to see him coming in at five but I can't see him getting in there. I'm not convinced England have a natural number three. There are lots of options to try but no one has proven they can do it at international level yet. Is it too risky to put Root at three and move Ballance back a place?

07 Jul 2017, 10:15 #20

I love Gary Ballance but no way in a million years should be bat anything other than 5 for England. If the 5 slot isn't available then he shouldn't be in the team for me.
You either bat him at 5 and JB at 7 or, my preference, JB at 5 with a keeper at 7.
Top Three I'd go Cook, Stoneman, Jennings.