Some (small) Devs we should know

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

February 26th, 2010, 12:29 pm #1

I figured I'd start this thread to see what developers we know out there that nobody is talking about. If the Video game industry follows the course of history set by the Movie and Music industries, they will all be gone soon, either gobbled up or shut down by a megacorporation. In the meantime we can enjoy the creative efforts of a startup company that simply wants to make money (read: not dominate the top ten charts) entertaining us.

Here's my first: Judobaby

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/f ... aby-studio

Former developers from Sony and SEGA have combined to create a new studio in California called Judobaby.

The studio's first title - a family game for the Wii - has been in stealth development for a year, and the fledgling company has said that work on it is now nearing completion.

Judobaby's management team is comprised of president and CEO Dan Mueller, a 15-year industry veteran formerly of Sony, who has worked on The Mark of Kri and ATV: Off Road Fury, among other titles; and CTO Richard Anderson, also formerly of Sony and also SEGA.

Finally Ben Harrison, who has worked as a game artist on titles including the Tomb Raider series, has taken the role of the company's art director.

"Judobaby is committed to creating a line of fun, humorous, 'pick-up and play' products to entertain the entire family," said Mueller. "Our focus is on providing top quality entertainment that brings the whole family together through gaming experiences that have yet to be offered."

The privately-funded company, which has headquarters positioned in Redwood City, says its first Wii-exclusive title will launch in Q4 2010. And it adds that, "with discussions of a live-action motion picture tie-in, the game may be set for additional momentum during first quarter 2011."

That's a good one too! Thanks. For posterity I'd like to list the great devs that have fallen by the wayside, disappeared, or otherwise ceased to be their former selves during the excessive revenue grab of the Playstation era (1997-2006). I'll need help to complete the list.

Ancient
Argonaut
Bignet
Bizarre Creations
Bullfrog
Compile
The Code Monkeys
Core
Creative Assembly Australia (Sega Australia)
Crystal Dynamics
Factor 5 GmbH (Cologne, Turrican Dev)
Factor 5 Inc (San Rafael, Rouge Squadron Dev)
Falcom
Hudson
Interplay
Ion Storm
Lucas Arts
Melbourne House
Maxis
Origin
Propaganda Games
Psygnosis
Secret Level
Sega
Sunsoft
Taito
Technos
Technosoft
Toejam & Earl Productions
Westone
Westwood
Working Designs
Last edited by sheath on September 9th, 2016, 4:06 am, edited 22 times in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more

DarcSeven
The other pallet swapped ninja
DarcSeven

February 26th, 2010, 1:29 pm #2

I choose you... Ska Studios!
http://www.ska-studios.com/
Ska studios is James Silva. He made the Indie game, I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1NIT!!!1 and my pick for the best pure action game of 2009, The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai. He's currently working on the sequel, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile for XBLA.

So, yeah. I like this guy.

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

February 26th, 2010, 5:31 pm #3

That's a good one too! Thanks. For posterity I'd like to list the great devs that have fallen by the wayside, disappeared, or otherwise ceased to be their former selves during the excessive revenue grab of the Playstation era (1997-2006). I'll need help to complete the list.

Ancient
Bignet
Compile
Core
Falcom
Sega
Sunsoft
Technos
Technosoft
Toejam & Earl Productions
Working Designs
www.gamepilgrimage.com

DarcSeven
DarcSeven

February 26th, 2010, 6:58 pm #4

I remember Westwood and Origin becoming defunct around 2003-2004. Both of them were with EA at the time. Westwood was acquired in 1998 so I think it was around the time where EA got compared to the Borg, but I was young then so I'm not really sure on the details.

There's also Bullfrog's assimilation in 2004. Geez, EA was hungry. There's probably more than this but this is all I remember.
Last edited by DarcSeven on February 26th, 2010, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

February 26th, 2010, 7:56 pm #5

Added Westwood, Bullfrog and Origen to the list. Man I loved the last two of those.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

benstylus
Taster's Choice
Taster's Choice
benstylus
Taster's Choice
Taster's Choice

February 26th, 2010, 11:28 pm #6

it was Origin, not Origen (unless you're thinking of a different company)
Electronic Arts - We put the 'suc' in success!

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

February 27th, 2010, 12:39 pm #7

You're right, I just typed it and didn't pay attention. ;)
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

March 1st, 2010, 10:54 pm #8

Lessee, I'm thinking about whoever made Chakan the Forever Man... I would have sworn it was a 2nd party company to Sega of America, I guess not though. Nevermind.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

March 9th, 2010, 1:03 pm #9

Majesco should be remembered for a few things. Keeping the Genesis alive longer than Sega did, and releasing Cooking Mama. I'm also fairly certain that they released something last generation that was fairly risky, I'll have to figure that one out later though.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

March 13th, 2010, 7:38 pm #10

Pipework Foundation

For making Deadliest Warrior on XBLA, here's a snippet from Joystick's quipy preview.

"Think Bushido Blade; but instead of being stuck with controlling boring ol' samurai, there are ninjas, Spartans, Apache, knights and four other yet-to-be-announced warriors (Including, hopefully, wizards)."
www.gamepilgrimage.com