sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 17th, 2010, 4:25 am #1

-Edited Topic-
I struck a deal with a client and am currently on the hunt for a reasonably priced PCIe graphics card *with component output* for the Office PC. Since I have been calling the Office PC the Master System and, now that it is running XP x64 so well, the Master System 64 that will be the name of the new HTPC. Mamebox will remain the name for the single core 3200+ HD3850 listed below.

I would also love for somebody who is experienced at overclocking to chime in on any methods I might employ to *stably* overclock the Mamebox.
<hr>
Just for a reminder, the Mamebox, apparently the only one in this group titled so, has the following specs. I will post the results of each subsequent overclocking attempt. As I understand it, the CPU I am attemting to overclock will not allow multiplier change, only FSB change. Furthermore, the K8U-X will only overclock the system bus/FSB by percentages starting at 5%, which I am using now.

CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 3200+
CPU Alias Newcastle S754
CPU Stepping DH-CG
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
CPUID Revision 00000FC0h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2199.68 MHz
CPU Multiplier 11.0x
CPU FSB 199.97 MHz (original: 200 MHz)
Memory Bus 199.97 MHz

Motherboard Name Asus K8U-X

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset ULi/ALi M1689, AMD Hammer
Memory Timings 3-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Corsair VS1GB400C3 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM2: Corsair VS1GB400C3 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 08/17/06
Video BIOS Date 02/18/08
DMI BIOS Version 1001
First attempt, 5% overclocked FSB. 2.31 Ghz stable.
Last edited by sheath on January 24th, 2010, 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 17th, 2010, 4:45 am #2

10% overclocked 2.42 Ghz stable.
I also noticed a manual setting for more complex overclocking while I was in there. Since I have no intention of buying a watercooling system, and since I have been told that the Athlon 64 3200+ won't allow multiplier changes, I will continue on....OOP!

It crashed and rebooted. So I am currently at manual overclock of the system bus speed to 210Mhz, the CPU is at 2.31Ghz (2.2Ghz normal).
Okay, I upped the bus to 215Mhz, CPU speed 2.37 Ghz. Seems stable. I am now going to up the bus speed by one Mhz until I get a crash.
Last edited by sheath on January 17th, 2010, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 17th, 2010, 5:08 am #3

I got impatient and upped it to 217Mhz, multiplier 11, .... crash

Lowered to 216Mhz and started typing why, ... crash

This is pretty much my experience with overclocking over the last twelve years. So I'll leave it at 215Mhz/2.37Hgz CPU for now and see how it does.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 17th, 2010, 1:04 pm #4

It crashed overnight, so now I'm down to 214Mhz/2.35Ghz. We'll see how it does this morning. It was stable in games at the former setting, but Windows randomly reset on me.
Last edited by sheath on January 17th, 2010, 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 17th, 2010, 6:51 pm #5

No overclocking for me! It crashed again and I'm done. Even at the higher speeds that ended up being unstable Sega Rally Revo and SFIV still had the exact same issues as before. I couldn't tell that the framerate was increased at all. So, rather than go through the rigmarole of messing with voltages and buying *all new* RAM sticks of a higher speed, I'm just going to leave it at the stock, stable, factory speed.

That is unless any of you gurus want to point me to a direction for overclocking this hardware that won't involve days of troubleshooting.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 17th, 2010, 7:47 pm #6

I don't have much experience in overclocking other than watching Wang do it on his various machines, and then set it up on the HTPC he sold me. LC has quite a bit of experience in it as well, we'll just have to wait for one of them to show up and take a look at your issue. I'll see if I can catch either one on AIM and send them this way...

Bel

David J.
The other pallet swapped ninja
David J.

January 18th, 2010, 2:49 am #7

I wouild love to get a a intel e8600 or whatever and overclock it to 4ghz or so and watch it fly and pwn at mame!

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 18th, 2010, 2:00 pm #8

If all I wanted to do was upgrade I'd sell the Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Video card and buy the fastest AMD based system I can get for under $80 per component. As of right now that is an Athlon II X4 something system, which I would have a hard time using just as an HTPC/Mamebox.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

David J.
David J.

January 20th, 2010, 3:24 am #9

I'm looking at making the main machine I use now... a media machine/general purpose PC... just waiting for good avalibility of the Athlon II X245e and the new HD 5450's... I'll put the Phenom II and HD4770 in the spare rig and make that a gaming rig. Weekend project?

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 24th, 2010, 10:28 pm #10

I struck a deal with a client and am currently on the hunt for a reasonably priced PCIe graphics card *with component output* for the Office PC. Since I have been calling the Office PC the Master System and, now that it is running XP x64 so well, the Master System 64 that will be the name of the new HTPC. Mamebox will remain the name for the single core 3200+ HD3850 listed below.

I would also love for somebody who is experienced at overclocking to chime in on any methods I might employ to *stably* overclock the Mamebox.
Last edited by sheath on January 24th, 2010, 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com