Nintendo 3DS - Games - Thoughts

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

November 25th, 2011, 5:21 pm #1

(NOTE: I've got some thoughts written up on the system itself, just haven't finished it yet)

These are just some (somewhat)quick thoughts on 3DS software I either own or have played...I will keep updating this post as I come across more games.

1. PilotWings Resort - Paid $15.51(eBay) - The perfect 3DS game and should seriously have been considered as the pack-in. Tranquil, relaxing, great 3D, it's everything you'd want in a PilotWings game on the system. Two modes are available, Mission and Free Flight. The missions are relatively easy until you get to "Diamond" rank, and then they are quite tough...but I've never put the system down in frustration due to the difficulty. Free Flight is great with the various items each of the six aircrafts can pick up to add extras such as more time in the mode, 3D dioramas, locations, etc. Sadly, I'm not sure if unlocking everything will give you unlimited time in Free Mode...and I kind of wish they'd of just allowed that from the beginning anyway. You start off with just 2 minutes, and towards the end I've gotten it up to 5 or 6...but what would have been the harm of letting us fly around until *we* decided we were done? That's about my only real gripe. Smooth soundtrack...will try to get it dumped to the Sound{e}scapes section at some point.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ort/712293
(links to the GT reviews are about all I could get to work...fucking ZetaBoards, the none of the clickable modifiers seem to work at all anymore)

2. Dead or Alive Dimensions - Paid $18.50(eBay) - A compilation of all four DoA games...and it's just about as great as you'd imagine. Graphics look to be about DC level, and turning the 3D off immediately enables 60fps mode(unlike SSFIV 3D Ed, where you have to change it in the Options). Has a "Chronicles" mode where you play through the stories for all four games. It makes absolute less-than-no sense, but it does sort of explain the Kasumi clone that showed up(nude) in DOA2 in the uncensored DC(and Xbox) intro. It does a really good job of teaching you how the game's "fighting triangle" works. I think it goes like this Strikes beat Throws, Throws beat Holds, Holds beat Strikes. The 3D on this one is actually really good, with a lot of interesting effects on the characters themselves(for example, standing in their pose, their arm or leg that is away from their body appears to be closer to the screen than the rest of their body, etc), and the backgrounds look every bit as good as you remember them on the DC/Xbox. I can't remember the total amount, but every character from DoA(except for the Spartan chick from DoA4) is present. A great fighter for the system.

3. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D - Paid $20.00(eBay) - I'm not a real big fan of games with any sort of time limit on the gameplay, so I'm not sure what I was thinking on this one. Still, even being forced to find "time statues" to increase what you're given on the maps, it's not too bad at all. The graphics definitely go a long way in showing you that this system is *not* an Xbox 360 or PS3, though it can produce a reasonable facsimile(can you believe I am actually in the mood to use that word?). It's weird how it does it though: Any character that is relatively close to you is in full res and detail, but characters just a small ways off are reduced to these (no shit)stick figure looking things. Also, they move at, like, a fourth of the framerate so they just look really odd(check the review for the game on GameTrailers for video of it). Still, if it allows the game to keep the framerate as constant as it is, I can live with it. The 3D is ok, it's best when you're using the "FPS" view mode on aiming, especially through a rifle scope. All in all, it's fun...but not even remotely worth $40. To me, and virtually everyone else out there, it feels like this was supposed to be the Mercenaries mode for RE: Revelations(of which, a short-ass demo is included) but Capcom just had to put something out right away(for whatever reason). The Revelations demo is alright...I would actually buy it when it comes out(January, I think).

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... vil/716936

4. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Gift(Birthday) - I am actually very impressed with this one, though I will admit that I just don't like playing it on the 3DS. First off, they did a bad-ass job of making this game look almost as good as it does on the consoles. The characters look amazing, I don't know how they pulled it off. The backgrounds, though very much scaled down, still look great. It's wild, it's like they kept the 3D architecture for the various things in the background, but then went with static pics for the various objects and people. They look like old SF2 backgrounds...and that is just cool. Sadly, the shitty, shitty, shitty D-pad on the 3DS is...shitty. The analog stick does alright, but I still find myself missing moves because of it. Plus, with SSFIV you're constantly slamming buttons or movements, which shakes the 3DS and that fucks with the 3D effect...to the point where I actually just play this one in 2D mode most of the time. The 3D is alright, nothing to write home about...but there are a few effects that seem to come out of the screen. With 3D on the game runs at 30fps, going to the options and turning it off has the game running at 60fps. I love how smooth it is at 60fps, but playing a non-3D game on the 3DS just seems like a waste...like playing a DS game on it(more on that later).

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... eet/712220

5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Gift(Birthday) - Never cared for it on the N64...or the GC, but after playing a demo of it at Target the 3D really did a job on me, and I rented it for about two weeks, enjoyed it enough to warrant asking for it as a gift...and got it. Putting in some time with it, I find it to be simply "alright"...nowhere near the hype of "one of the best games of all time" that everyone seems to throw at it. I was about as in to it as I was going to get, and then you hit the Temple of Time, become "adult" Link, have virtually everything in your inventory removed and you damn-near have to start all over. I have walked away from it and haven't been back. Sadly, they don't give you any huge warning that once you hit the Temple that you can *never* go back to kid Link, or the world he was in. There were a lot of little side quests I was still dicking around with and such, all down the drain. I'm sure I'll go back and finish it at some point, it's just so boring at times I can hardly stand it(even in 3D). The 3D effect is really good, though, Nintendo did a good job with this flagship title. I think it's based on the GC remake, and even takes it a step further with an even harder second(or maybe third) quest where the world is mirrored(or something like that).

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... end/716722

6. Sonic Generations - Paid $29.81(Best Buy) - I wasn't real thrilled with this one when I first got it...and though it's growing on me I'm still not bowled over. It's great to see some of the older stages redone, and in 3D but it just doesn't feel the same to me. Plus, this isn't the console version so the new Sonic stages(or "Act 2" as they put it) play almost exactly the same as the original Sonic's stages do, but this time you can, literally, just hold the "Charge" button down to just fly through the level. Still, as I actually have to pay for my games I try to put some time in with them, unlike these "professional" critics who play something for three minutes, throw it down and exclaim "I'm ready for my next free game!!!!". I've managed to get through the first boss encounter with Mecha Sonic, which is a remake of the race you are challenged to with him in Sonic CD and that was pretty hip...and I've now reached a few of the newer Sonic levels(the island level with the whale from Adventure and then the one where you run from the diesel, from Adventure 2). It's interesting to see how they've remade the levels for the older Sonic, but still make it feel a lot like the real level. So, it's growing on me, we'll see how long that holds up(it's the lack of levels that seems to be hitting me the hardest). Though it, apparently, has "all new 3D content", none of the 3D effects are particularly great. You'd think it'd be wild to see the 2D levels in 3D...that they'd have such depth to them, but it just doesn't pan out on most levels(it may be that you're just moving too fast to get the full effect). The graphics are especially jaggy too, even more so that most 3DS games(the 3DS, as far as I can tell, cannot do any sort of high level anti-aliasing when 3D mode is enabled, so it's like looking at a Wii game on your 50 inch HDTV, or something). Oddly enough, turning off 3D doesn't re-enable the anti-aliasing, as it does on virtually every other title...so that sort of screams lazy Sega to me. One interesting note: Best Buy has this "Nintendo Zone" thing you can connect to on your 3DS, which leads to some bullshit videos and pics...but also, some coupons for 3DS stuff. I found one for 10% off any 3DS title, took my 3DS up to the register and they scanned the screen to activate it!

7. Super Mario 3D Land - Paid $29.99(Fry's) - I picked this one up because Fry's had it on sale for $30...and let's face it, a Mario game *never* goes down in price. Shit, fucking Mario Kart DS has dropped a whole $5(from $39.99 to $34.99) since it's release in *2005*(think about that for a minute). I really had no interest in it until I saw the review over at GameTrailers(btw, I know I mention their reviews a lot, and I'm not trying to advocate someone using them to make purchases, but rather I just like to see the game in motion and hear a description of it...I generally ignore any of their thoughts past that) and saw that it was going to be more of a 2D game(in 3D) rather than something like Mario Galaxy. I've gotta say, they hit it on the head: It really does feel like a 2D Mario. Sadly, a lot of it is based off of Mario Bros 3...and believe it or not, I actually don't have a lot of fond memories of that one(I much prefer Mario 2 or World, which is my favorite). So, oddly, *everything* in the damn game has a fucking Tanooki tail...*everything*. Big-ass blocks that just float up, then slam down: They've got one; Bowser: He's got one; Goombas: They've got one; etc. It's just odd, but works out alright I guess. You can't fly anymore with the Tanooki tail, but you can float down slowly with it. The levels are unbelievably short, with collecting three hidden coins being the only reason to revisit them. It's kind of nice...especially as I've just grown so tired of these huge-ass games where you have, literally, *no* hope of fully exploring a level. These levels feel a lot like something from the Saturn/PSX days, where they can be relatively large, and you can just tear through them...but you can also explore them fully without wasting an entire evening. The 3D is awesome, and they even let you choose two modes("screen popping" and "screen diving"), where one makes it seem as though things are coming out of the screen and one that makes it look like things just go on for miles inside the screen. They even have special rooms that mess with the 3D effect. Doesn't take much to beat it, I did it about three or four days in(keep in mind I only get, like, an hour a day at most to play games anymore). Supposedly they let you play as Luigi(in his Mario 2-squiggly legs-form) at some point.

After you beat the game they let you play through it again, but the levels are changed up quite a bit and they're much, much harder. It's actually very good, I'm enjoying this part of it a lot more than the first time through. Normally I love an easy game...after all, I buy games to be entertained, not whipped, but when a game is as unbelievably easy as this one was(the first play through) it got to be pretty boring, gameplay-wise(the visuals sill kept my interest).

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... rio/723912

8. StarFox 64 3D - In-Store Demo - Lets you play two different missions and, I've gotta say, I really like it. Sadly, *everyone* talks about how insanely short the game is...so I can't bring myself to pay full price for it. Unfortunately this is one of those titles that will probably never go down much further than $30, but I think I can pull off $25 via eBay. The 3D is really good in this one, and the updated graphics really help. Wish they would bring out a remake of the first one as well(have never played that one either).

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... -64/720527

9. Nintendog + Cats - In-Store Demo - I don't get it...I really don't. The 3D looks good, but I just...I just don't get it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ogs/712425

10. Your Naked Momma - In-Bed Demo - Lol.

http://www.platinum-celebs.com/messageb ... 24-405.jpg

11. Rayman 3D - Paid $9.38(GameStop) - Apparently a port of Rayman 2 from the DC. I never had much interest in it, and didn't even know it came out on the DC, but then ShitStop had it for $15(half off for Black Friday), and then I had some credit left over from their idiocy(more on that later, in the Mario Kart thoughts), making it around $9. I looked it up and everyone raves about it, they talk about how it brought the whole 3D platformer up a step and how it's on a lot of "Greatest Games of All Time" lists. Saw some screenshots, looked alright...and *much* different than the original Rayman(which I hate to no end due to the unbelievable difficulty). Sadly, you can tell this is a 10 year old game...UbiSoft has made very little effort to mask it. Still, it has its charm, I mean it really does bring you back to the DC/N64 era...and the world textures do look pretty good...but it just can't shake a lot of the other effects(sprite-based objects, water "tubes", camera issues, etc). Another thing that kills me, and I am *praying* the DC version doesn't suffer from this as well: Framerate issues. This game should be running at a constant 60fps, but yet it stutters *constantly*, and you can easily see when it dips. There is no excuse for this. If Capcom and Tecmo can have their games running at 60fps on this system, there's just no reason that a 10 year old game isn't running at that. The 3D is kind of weak too, but there are some areas where they throw some stuff at the screen. All in all, it's a weak offering...but as I've never played Rayman 2, I thought it'd be a cheap, and quick way to give it a shot. The game itself is damn good, I can see why people really enjoyed it...and I'm liking it more than Ocarina of Time 3D. Has anyone played the DC version? Does it have the framerate issues? I wouldn't getting it there at some point...

12. Mario Kart 7 - Paid $0.00(GameStop) - Real quick before we begin: PK bought the Kollector's Edition of new MK for me here, but didn't realize I had already pre-ordered it with Amazon. They called her, she went in, canceled it, go her refund. Then, about a month later those morons call back telling her they still have her MK: KE! We go in there, explain that I had already purchased it elsewhere and they, get this, ask us what we'd like to do with the $50 credit we had for the game's pre-order. Well, first off, MK: KE was $99...and on top of that she already got the refund. So, somehow, in their system, they're thinking she pre-ordered the regular version of MK and just never picked it up. So we decide to throw $50 on Mario Kart 7...and then I used the remaining amount to get Rayman 2(above). Not too shabby...and I have less than no problem getting Mario Kart 7 for free from these fuckers. ;)

It's not out yet(the 4th, I believe), but GT has a review for it. Sadly, they forget to talk about a lot of things in the review...like the new First Person view...and the fact that Nintendo fucked us again with Gyro controls *that cannot be turned off* when using said view. Real quick, let me explain something to you about the 3DS that a lot of people don't realize: If you are not at the *exact* right distance, the *exact* right angle or you happen to tilt or shake the unit the 3D effect gets screwed up(you'll see double images and it really messes with your eyes...not good during a racing game!)

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... t-7/724422

I have officially gone ass-wild with the 3DS. I don't think I've ever owned a new system where I've purchased so many new games so quickly(they're all so cheap, though). Any way, here's the newest batch:

12. Mario Kart 7 - Paid $0.00(GameStop) - If bored, see MK info above about price. I'm not real thrilled with this one...but if you like the older Mario Karts, without the bikes, you'll probably enjoy it. It just seems so slow and dull to me after using the bikes in MK Wii. Like always, it features new tracks as well as returning tracks from previous MK games. The hang glider thing is pretty hip, as you really can use it to get an edge...and the underwater sequences are interesting enough. You can turn off "gryo" control(thank God), and even play in First Person mode(pretty cool except they act like no one is driving the cart, you don't see your arms, hands, nothing). Haven't been online to see if the cheaters have already ruined it, but the 7 player ghost mode is a lot of fun(no weapons) and I'm constantly finding new racers via that "Street Pass" thing. The 3D is alright, not great...its high point seems to be when the squid attack comes at it *really* impedes your view(more than it did in MK Wii).

13. Dream Trigger - Paid 6.99(Best Buy) - OMG is this game complicated. I know it's a take off of some really popular puzzle game that Gen has on his PSP, but I can't remember the name of it. I was hoping, by the screenshots, that it was going to be very Rez-like, but that's just not the case. Will probably sell it off when the new 3DS model hits, but maybe I'll give it another shot and see how it goes...

14. Nintendogs + Cats - Paid $5.40(Best Buy) - I still don't really get it...and it pisses me off that the cats aren't immediately selectable(in fact, I have no idea when you'd actually be able to get one). The 3D is actually really good in this one, with the dogs constantly doing stuff right up against the screen. Purchases like this were just simply made so when the new model of the 3DS hits(and it's coming soon), I can sell mine along with a bunch of cheap games and get the new model without having to put any more money in to it.

15. Steel Diver - Paid $5.40(Best Buy) - Weird 2D sub "shooter". It's *really* slow...and *really* hard to control thanks to the fact that you can only use the touch pad to play it. Had they of just allowed for an option to use the stick and buttons, I think I would have liked this one a lot more. I will say that the 3D is really good on it, though, and the "periscope" mode where you actually spin around in your chair to shoot oncoming ships was pretty hip.

Update: I've been playing this one a bit more...and am actually sort of getting in to it. It's damn hectic at times, but as the game just moves so slow you can sort of deal with the touchscreen controls...and I'm kind of digging it now.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ver/712201

16. Super Monkey Ball 3D - Paid 7.99(Best Buy) - Believe it or not, this is my first experience with SMB...and what a way to start. The 3D is awesome in this one! The game features three modes: Classic, Kart Racing and a Super Smash Bros-like Battle. The original mode is interesting enough, though I cannot see buying any SMB game that just has this one mode(it's ok, just not enough to hold a full game imo). The Kart Racing mode is actually pretty good at first, but then the vicious AI kicks in and annoyances like coming to a *full* stop every time you're hit or spin out really start to bring it down. The Battle mode is actually great, and seems to have some fun depth to it. All in all, it's a good purchase for about $10...and the retail $20 isn't too bad, but I would only recommend it, at that price, to true fans.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... key/712354

17. Driver: Renegade - Paid 7.99(Target) - *Every* review on the net bashed this game for being "too arcade-like" and only recommended it for those who like "arcade-style racing". Hell, that sounded great to me, and finding it for $8 on clearance was just right! Haven't played the Story mode just yet, but the "mission" mode gives me a pretty good taste of how it'll be. It's a lot like Midtown Madness and other car racing games where you're not always racing around a track, but sometimes trying to get to an objective first(any way you can), destroying other racers' cars and a myriad of other similar activities. All in all, I really like it...and the things your guy will say are hilarious. Great 3D effects, especially when you crash through something and the bits come flying at the screen.

18. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean - Free(gift) - The Lego games, imo, are all pretty much the same...but I love the Pirates movies, and the fact that this one had all four movies included in it made it pretty appealing. Sadly, and this may just be due to the 3DS card's lower capacity, it seems like they really speed past the movies with each only having around 4 to 5 levels each. Still, the graphics are awesome(believe it or not, some of the best on the system so far), the 3D is *really* good and it's still fun to run around knocking the little Lego guys to pieces. It offers a lot of replay value, with levels chock-full of stuff you can't access until you gain characters later down the line, hidden pieces that unlock 3D model viewers and other extras of that nature.

19. Shinobi - Paid $39.99(Fry's) - Full price...I know, I know, but this one just *never* goes down. It's still $40 no matter where you go($35 on eBay)! After playing it, though, I can see why: It's awesome! You can tell the developers were huge fans of virtually every Shinobi title out there...and did their best to put a little bit of each one in the game. It's mostly based on Shinobi III and, I'm guessing, the Shinobi games on the PS2. I wish I had the energy to tell you every single little cool thing from past Shinobi games they threw in here, but I just don't(maybe at some point down the line I'll have the time). About my only real gripe is how hard it is...and I'm guessing that's from the PS2 influence. Even on "Beginner" they will bust your ass over and over. This is one of those games that fans of Ninja Gaiden will love and it will reward you for ultra-fast reflexes and the ability to handle multiple enemies at once, while dodging incoming attacks. During lunch today I was looking at the "History" special feature the game has and it talks about *every* single Shinobi game...doesn't leave a single one out, like a lot of games will do. They even go in to how good SMS Shadow Dancer is, and how it is a more accurate port than the Genesis version!

20. Face Racers: Photo Finish - Paid $14.99(Movie Trading Company) - Selling it for $20 on eBay. How anyone had anything good to say about this game is beyond me. It looks like an amateur job *at best*. I mean, it really looks like homebrew...it's just awful. Even the gimmicky photo feature can't save it. Ugh.

21. Resident Evil: Revelations - 3DS Downloadable Demo - Wow, what a massive improvement over the original demo packed in with Mercenaries 3D! You can tell they put some real time and effort in to this one: The graphics are excellent, the 3D is *deep*(and can get even deeper as the game allows you to increase it past the 3DS's slider) and new features from Mercenaries 3D are now standard(moving while reloading, being able to strafe, etc). I haven't even finished the demo and I am just blown away. I will definitely buy this one the day it hits!

22. Mario and Sonic and the London Games 2012 - 3DS Downloadable Demo - Allows you to play 5 events...all of which, I was pretty impressed with. That last Mario & Sonic game on Wii sounded pretty bad...but I kind of liked this one. Can't imagine paying more than, maybe, $10 for it...but all in all the 3D was solid, the little mini-game events were pretty fun.

23. 3D Classics: Xevious - Free(100 points at Club Nintendo) - Though a lot of the 3D Classics series really put some effort in to their psuedo-remakes, this one just didn't. Granted, the 3D effect is fucking awesome, and like RE: Revelations you can actually increase its depth through the software, but past that it's the same version of Xevious from the NES. It's just so...old. If it was the arcade version, I could almost consider putting some more time in with it, but as is it's just archaic and the difficulty is punishing. Had it not of been free via Nintendo Club points I would not have purchased it. I wish that Ray Force would show up on the 3DS...there's a game that could really put the 3D to use(and it's just an awesome fucking game).

24. Mutant Mudds - Paid $8.99(Nintendo eShop download) - I wasn't real thrilled with this one when I first saw it in preview videos, and I think they could have done a better version of really showing off the game...but after reading some reviews, I knew I had to jump on this one. It's an 8bit-looking adventure game done in 3D, much in the same vein as that Wario game on Virtual Boy. I mention that because like that Wario game, this one is all about the 3D effect. They use it constantly, and in such innovative ways...it really does remind of Wario on VB(which I loved). Get this: This game even has sections, called either "V-Zone" or "G-Zone", where the entire section is red(like on the Virtual Boy) or black and green(like the original GameBoy)! The game is no pushover, giving you just one life and three hearts to make it through any given level...and if you die, it's back to the beginning. Will definitely have to sharpen my skills a bit...

25. Metal Gear Sold: Snake Eater 3D - 3DS Downloadable Demo - I cannot believe this is the game people rave about. Like Rayman on 3DS, this this just screams "Hey, I'm an older game with little-to-no actual improvement and 3D just sort of tacked on". To make matters worse, the camera does *not* follow Snake...at all. You have to control it manually *the entire time*. Now, with two analog sticks this may be do-able...on the 3DS, where Nintendo has butt-fucked us with just one analog stick, it is exceedingly annoying. You use one analog stick to move Snake and the four face buttons to *constantly* move the camera around...it is awful in every respect. About the only way I could see even attempting this game is if I had that bullshit "Control Stick Pro" add on(which isn't happening, because as we all know...) or just wait for the next 3DS hardware revision where it will be standard(...it's coming). The worst part of it all has to be aiming...you actually have to use the four face button to move the reticle around...and the framerate ain't the greatest, so you will constantly find yourself missing the target by just a few pixels. Like the upcoming Kid Icarus: Uprising, the control scheme utterly ruins this game. Thank God they put out a demo, I was actually going to order this one from Amazon...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ear/727628

26. Captain America: Super Soldier - Paid $14.99(Target) - I've been waiting for a lot of these older 3DS titles to finally drop, and it looks like Target is the first to finally get their asses in gear and do it. Was heading to the register when I saw an actual end-cap with $14.99 3DS titles, Cap being one of them. It is nearly impossible to find this game for less than $30. eBay, Amazon, doesn't matter, it's always about $30. After watching the GT review for the console version, which looks fucking awesome btw(fans of the fighting in Batman: AA and AC will probably love this game), I was very interested in it. Sadly, the 3DS version is very dumbed down version, in every respect. The graphics, the animations, the platforming, all of it comes off as an almost amateur production. I can't remember who did the consoles versions, but I am almost certain that this could not be them. Still, it's alright, it just feels like a game from the Saturn or PSX days. Has some odd touch screen controls when using the shield to block, but past that the control seems pretty solid. The fighting seems to try to emulate the multi-character combat that the console version and Batman use, but with the chunky animation it just feel awkward. The 3D effect is simply "ok", with nothing really coming out of the screen at you and the standard depth you see in most 3DS titles. All in all, for $15 it's not too bad...had I of paid $30(or more) I'd of been pissed, though.

27. Crush 3D - eShop Downloadable Demo - When I saw the trailers for this, I felt it was really gimmicky and just something I was going to be able to get in to at all. The demo has since changed my mind. The game features 3D platforming, and using the "crush" move, you can turn the 3D environment in to a 2D representation of it. This allows you to move the areas you can't jump to or otherwise access. Using the crush move to change between 3D and 2D you can make your way to each level's exit, and though puzzle-based, it's a platformer at heart. The 3D effect is really good, with the wild backgrounds stealing the show(you're in some sort of virtual reality machine, so basically anything that comes in to your character's mind shows up in the levels, which makes them pretty wild). All in all, I could see getting this one for around $20. I think there is another version of it on PSP, but that's it. Shame, too, this would make a great XBLA game...

28. StarFox 64 3D - Paid $20.50(eBay) - Just like I said back on number 8, I wasn't going to pay full price and I thought I could get it for around $25. Impressions still the same, it's a great game, the 3D is awesome and, most importantly, you can turn off gyro control so that it doesn't ruin the game. The way you can lock on to ships reminds me of Panzer Dragoon and I am hoping that after some upgrades you can lock on to more than just one at a time. The cut scenes and voices are hilarious, and the music really makes me think of the N64 era. All in all, a great game to re-release on the 3DS.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... -64/720527

29. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus - Paid $5.99(Nintendo eShop Download) - Wow, I remember this game being a *lot* harder back in the day...like, almost impossibly hard. I blew through this motherfucker in about 6 play sessions. Now, it's important to note that they do allow for a "custom" control scheme that allows for stuff like aiming up while jumping, slowing your decent by holding the jump button and rapid fire arrow shots...so that could be a lot of the reason. All in all, it's alright...I thought they could have done more with it(it's still only 4:3 and only 2D, they didn't attempt any 3D elements like they did in the 3D Classics version of ExciteBike or Urban Champion), but as-is, it's worth $6. The 3D, though still only for the 2D graphics, is excellent and the layers they pull off are just incredible. The backgrounds have all been redone with 32-bit color, so that really makes some of the levels pop. Past that, it's the same game you remember from the NES...and plays so much better than Uprising with that that travesty of a control scheme(leave it to Nintendo to put something really awesome out, then absolutely ruin it with gimmicky controls).

http://www.destructoid.com/review-kid-i ... 4073.phtml

30. Centipede: Infestation - Paid $9.98(Target) - On clearance, and though normally I may not have given it a shot, I tried a demo of it over at Best Buy and found that it features SNES-style SmashTV control(move with the pad, shoot with the buttons)! Though not exactly the highest-quality game out there, the control scheme and copious amounts of bugs you can mow down make it worth $10. The 3D effect really isn't anything to talk about, nor the graphics, but it plays well enough. Much like the original game, you run around in a small area shooting everything that comes at you, at the end, the centipede appears you mow him down, go to the next stage. There may be some variety to it, I don't know, I've only played to the third level so far.

31. Generator Rex - Paid $9.98(Target) - On clearance as well, this is one that had my interest due to the fact that it's a SoR-like beat'em up. Apparently, and some may know this as it's based on a popular cartoon, this guy can turn parts of his body in to different things(mallets, swords, buzzsaws, all sorts of things) and then use them to beat the piss out of whatever shows up in front of him. Unfortunately it seems like it's a DS port, with 3D tacked on, but it's the only beat'em up on the system(that I know of) so I let it slide. It plays well enough, with light and heavy attack buttons(doing various combos using the button in different orders) and plenty of scenery to bust up. The 3D effect, as mentioned previously, really does seem tacked on and like Centipede, doesn't do a whole lot of the game. About the only impressive bit, so far, for the 3D has been the initial stage where you jump out of a plane and skydive to your destination(the various bit of debris and lasers coming at you have some real depth to them). Again, worth $10, not much more.

32. Ridge Racer 3D - Paid 4.99(Hastings) - Ok, before I begin, I *know* how hard this is going to be to believe. Trust me, I am in utter shock at my feelings for this game...and upset at myself for taking so long to try it. Here we go: This is the *best* game on the 3DS. No shit, no sarcasm. I know what you're thinking: "...but RR has that ultra-shitty powerslide mechanic that makes the car teeter on some imaginary rollerball!" - You're right, it does...but it also, now, has an option to use a button to powerslide. So, you go in to a turn, you hold down the powerslide button, you begin the slide, you straighten out and release the button. It's damn smooth, and almost feels like the powerslide mechanic from High Velocity back on the Sega Saturn. This makes the game...it really does. The tracks, like most of Namco's stuff, rip off virtually every other racing game you can imagine, but it's a good thing as you see bits from SCUD Racer(yes, they really did!), Daytona and other competing racers. What you end up with is a Ridge Racer game that ends up playing *nothing* like a Ridge Racer game. Shit-tons of tracks, amazing scenery, decent 3D and a near-60fps(if it isn't already) framerate - The BEST game on the 3DS. I bought this because it was cheap, and if I ended up hating it I'd just use it in my 3DS lot I am building to sell, so I can get a 3DS XL, but it just ended up being the best purchase I've made for the system. Trust me, if you like racers and have a 3DS, you give this game a shot...just be sure to switch to the "one button" mode when it comes to "drifting"(powersliding).

33. Art of Balance Touch - Paid $6.99(Nintendo eShop) - Loved the demo for it on the Wii, and once I heard you weren't forced to use the touchscreen to play this version, I bought it right away. I don't think it features anything past the Wii version's levels and modes, past the 3D and all...but 200 levels is nothing to scoff at. All in all, it's a very Zen-like experience...calm and relaxing. You take the pre-determined piece and try to stack them in a manner which will allow them to stand for at least three game seconds. They'll throw in some wild cards like pieces that will break if a certain number of other pieces are stacked on them, pieces that break after a certain amount of time, a height stacking requirement and other slight changes to the recipe. The 3D is alright, but as there's not really a lot going on on any of the given screens, you don't really get bowled over by it(the way the water bowl comes out of the screen a small bit is about the only consistent effect). It doesn't seem to be quite up to the Wii version's level in terms of graphics, which I find odd as the 3DS, imo, is more powerful than the Wii...but about the only time you really notice it is with the water graphics(waves, splashes, etc). A solid purchase for anyone looking for a relaxing experience...

34. Angry Birds Trilogy - Paid $14.98(Target) - You'll love this: The morons at Target accidentally put this game on clearance *5* days after it came out. No shit! It came out on the 25th, I bought it on the 30th. More than one store did this too, as you'll see stories about it on various sites. I can only dream of how much trouble someone is going to get in to when they figure out what happened...I mean, PK and I were lucky enough to pick up the last two at one Target store and it's been sold out and virtually every other one I've been too(where it was also on clearance). Having never played the game, if you can believe it, I figured getting the first three games in 3D(and whatever extra content it came with) was worth $15, even though I know it's cheaper on the iPhone and Android devices. Honestly, I can see why people like it...it is pretty fun. The 3D is almost non-existant, and really only shows on the menu screens anyway, but it's still a nice presentation, graphically. They say the graphics have been "upgraded" for the consoles, but I wouldn't know. You can still tell it's a Flash game, but it's a nice looking Flash game. Using the touch screen to slingshot the birds is a nice touch, and adds some much needed precision but I'm glad you can still use the circle pad as well. Not sure if it's worth the original MSRP($30), but $15 is a solid deal.

35. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - eShop Downloadable Demo - I've never been a real big fan of the various rhythm games and this doesn't do a lot to change that. They try different things to incorporate an FF theme to the various gameplay modes, but in the end you're still hitting directions and sliding the stylus around to keep up with the music. What kills me most about the game is the fact that the graphics and 3D are actually really good...but you can hardly notice it as your focus is strictly aimed away from it as you try to keep up. It's the first 3DS game to allow for DLC...though I don't know if that's anything to be proud of...

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/3ch ... asy-review

36. Order Up! - eShop Demo - One of those cooking sims...whatever that is. This is the first one I've ever actually tried and, much to my surprise, I kind of liked it. I don't know that I can see enjoying it in a full-game-you-do-it-over-and-over environment, but as a demo with just a single stage, it's ok. Using the styles you run a burger joint and prepare burgers, fries, drinks and other fast food items. You'll chop tomatoes, cook fries, flip patties, etc. with various motions. The 3D is alright, about what you'd expect from the simply graphics.

Bel

Thoughts coming:
Resident Evil: Revelations
3D Classics: Excitebike
Pyramids Demo
Rayman Origins Demo
Heroes of Ruin
Kingdom Hearts 3D Demo
Amazing Spider-Man
Lego Batman 2 Demo
Face Raiders
AR Games
The Denpa Man: They Came by Wave Demo
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure Demo
Tekken 3D
Last edited by Belpowerslave on October 10th, 2012, 12:44 am, edited 30 times in total.

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

December 22nd, 2011, 6:04 pm #2

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-missio ... -best-buy/

God help me, I am going to attempt to find out what/why/how Nintendogs+Cats exists...for $5...with free shipping(also grabbed that moronic Steel Diver game for the same price and free shipping).

Bel

benstylus
Taster's Choice
Taster's Choice
benstylus
Taster's Choice
Taster's Choice

January 29th, 2012, 7:45 pm #3

wrote:5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Gift(Birthday) - Never cared for it on the N64...or the GC, but after playing a demo of it at Target the 3D really did a job on me, and I rented it for about two weeks, enjoyed it enough to warrant asking for it as a gift...and got it. Putting in some time with it, I find it to be simply "alright"...nowhere near the hype of "one of the best games of all time" that everyone seems to throw at it. I was about as in to it as I was going to get, and then you hit the Temple of Time, become "adult" Link, have virtually everything in your inventory removed and you damn-near have to start all over. I have walked away from it and haven't been back. Sadly, they don't give you any huge warning that once you hit the Temple that you can *never* go back to kid Link, or the world he was in. There were a lot of little side quests I was still dicking around with and such, all down the drain. I'm sure I'll go back and finish it at some point, it's just so boring at times I can hardly stand it(even in 3D). The 3D effect is really good, though, Nintendo did a good job with this flagship title. I think it's based on the GC remake, and even takes it a step further with an even harder second(or maybe third) quest where the world is mirrored(or something like that).
Actually, a big part of the game is going back and forth through time between adult and kid link... I think you just have to beat the forest temple (the first one after you turn into an adult) and then you can change back to wee link by putting the sword back on the pedestal.
Last edited by benstylus on March 28th, 2012, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Electronic Arts - We put the 'suc' in success!

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

January 30th, 2012, 8:57 pm #4

Ah, awesome, thank you! I had actually just put it down because I just didn't want to go on anymore, knowing that I had just virtually lost everything I had done as kid Link. This will help, I will give it another shot!

How is the wife enjoying her 3DS?

I am going to go ahead and pre-order that new Resident Evil now that they've dropped the price down to $39.99(instead of $49.99) and even though I can't stand them, I will do it at GameStop because they are giving that case away with it(of which I will just sell on eBay to reduce the price of the game further).

Bel

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

February 21st, 2012, 5:33 pm #5

wrote:25. Metal Gear Sold: Snake Eater 3D - 3DS Downloadable Demo - I cannot believe this is the game people rave about. Like Rayman on 3DS, this this just screams "Hey, I'm an older game with little-to-no actual improvement and 3D just sort of tacked on". To make matters worse, the camera does *not* follow Snake...at all. You have to control it manually *the entire time*. Now, with two analog sticks this may be do-able...on the 3DS, where Nintendo has butt-fucked us with just one analog stick, it is exceedingly annoying. You use one analog stick to move Snake and the four face buttons to *constantly* move the camera around...it is awful in every respect. About the only way I could see even attempting this game is if I had that bullshit "Control Stick Pro" add on(which isn't happening, because as we all know...) or just wait for the next 3DS hardware revision where it will be standard(...it's coming). The worst part of it all has to be aiming...you actually have to use the four face button to move the reticle around...and the framerate ain't the greatest, so you will constantly find yourself missing the target by just a few pixels. Like the upcoming Kid Icarus: Uprising, the control scheme utterly ruins this game. Thank God they put out a demo, I was actually going to order this one from Amazon...
Heheh, goes to show how shoddy a product the MGS games always were. Two analog sticks just so you can keep the camera on the action. Hahah.
Last edited by sheath on March 28th, 2012, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

February 24th, 2012, 4:11 pm #6

I just don't understand why they could not have allowed the camera to just follow him. They do it on MGS 1 and 2, and there don't seem to be a lot of issues. At any rate, I'm not a huge MGS fan...I do remember being blown away by part 1, but just because it was such a new experience at the time. Going back, even via Bleemcast, is tough. The cinemas seem to go on forever and the gameplay is almost RE1-bad/frustrating. Still, I do have such fond memories of it from my first play through on the PSX(harassing Meryl and finding it phenomenal that she would actually ask what you were doing, that one boss looking at the saves on your game card, etc).

Bel

DarcSeven
The other pallet swapped ninja
DarcSeven

February 24th, 2012, 6:43 pm #7

I will simply say that I disagree with MGS3 being a bad game. But you guys already knew about my undying love for the series. That said, I'm not sure how MGS3 is supposed to work without a second analog stick and why it being in 3D is such a big deal. In my book, the best way to play it is the HD release on the PS3 or X360 for one simple reason: The slow down from the PS2 version is gone and it's now a constant 60FPS during gameplay. (Cutscenes have a little issue during moments with Colonel Volgin.)

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

February 24th, 2012, 8:55 pm #8

Well, like I said, the problem I'm having with part 3 is that inability to have the camera just follow you around. Though I can see how it would work out on a controller with dual analog sticks, on the 3DS it's just a pain in the ass. When the new revision of the 3DS hits, with the dual analog sticks, I'll most likely give the game another shot...for now though, the control scheme just ruins it for me.

Bel

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

March 6th, 2012, 2:46 am #9

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ear/727628

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt that way...

Bel

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

March 28th, 2012, 5:47 am #10

Last edited by Belpowerslave on June 8th, 2012, 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.