Moderator: sheath

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

August 13th, 2009, 6:10 pm #11

An unreleased X-men game for 32X, looks like Mortal Kombat Sub Zero. Fusion doesn't play it, I'll try Gens.

http://www.segasaturno.com/portal/index ... ic_id=3969

Simply awesome:

"Welcome to Project2612, your one and only source on the web for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive VGM soundtracks. Our mission is to provide you with the most accurate, non-waveform reproduction of Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive music to date, using the VGM format. We currently have a total of 615 soundtrack sets, with every single known song (and even some hidden songs not used!) in these games. "

http://project2612.org/
Last edited by sheath on August 13th, 2009, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

September 3rd, 2009, 3:18 pm #12

wrote:An unreleased X-men game for 32X, looks like Mortal Kombat Sub Zero. Fusion doesn't play it, I'll try Gens.

http://www.segasaturno.com/portal/index ... ic_id=3969
Reminds me of Bug! actually. Anyway, looks kind of crappy and nothing like what I had expected. Still, interesting to see it. Now if we can just get our hands on Virtual Hamster, *that* looked great!
wrote:Simply awesome:

"Welcome to Project2612, your one and only source on the web for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive VGM soundtracks. Our mission is to provide you with the most accurate, non-waveform reproduction of Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive music to date, using the VGM format. We currently have a total of 615 soundtrack sets, with every single known song (and even some hidden songs not used!) in these games. "

http://project2612.org/
You didn't know about this place? I've been using it for years now, helps me with my Sound{e}scapes work, when I need info on piece names and whatnot. I really dig it.

Bel

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

September 27th, 2009, 6:00 pm #13

Speaking of homebrew, have you guys seen the new index page for Good Deal Games?

http://www.gooddealgames.com/

Lists homebrew for *every* system they carry it for! Man, some of that stuff I had no idea existed!

Bel

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

September 27th, 2009, 7:53 pm #14

wrote:http://www.segasaturno.com/portal/index ... ic_id=3969
Reminds me of Bug! actually. Anyway, looks kind of crappy and nothing like what I had expected. Still, interesting to see it. Now if we can just get our hands on Virtual Hamster, *that* looked great!
I hope Vitual Hamster will show up one day. The theory behind Bug! was very solid, you can see it in operation in all of those Sonic Xtreme videos online. I'm fairly confident they would have come across with the general public as too rudimentary though. Gunstar Heroes uses the same graphic design with Fatal Fury style "3D" gameplay to make up for it. The bottom line is that every system has limitations in every way, and the good games manage to make you forget about them. I don't think this unreleased X-Men game was one of them in the same way I don't think MK:Sub-Zero was.
wrote:You didn't know about this place? I've been using it for years now, helps me with my Sound{e}scapes work, when I need info on piece names and whatnot. I really dig it.

Bel
No I didn't, and after listening to some game's music over Winamp with their plug in I'm almost glad I didn't know about them. The info piece bits from each song is definitely useful, but I'm just floored by how much of the actual songs is missing in most of these renditions.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

March 11th, 2010, 7:08 pm #15

UWOL_Quest_For_Money

Introduction by the developer

Now the long making of story, if you care.

The original game was made for ZX Spectrum by Mojon Twins, homebrew game developers team from Spain, and released in 2009. It is little nice old-style arcade game about jumping around and collecting coins, and I've liked it much. Unusual thing about all the Mojon Twins games is that they are made in C (for the platforms with Z80 @ ~3.5 MHz). After I've looked into sources, I've got idea to try to port the game to SMD using the original sources. I've asked Na_th_an from Mojon Twins for permission, he said they don't mind, as long as they are credited, and the game is open source.

I've wanted to make not just exact port of the game, which is makes not much sense, but to improve some details, as long as they will not take too much time.

The project has been started February 18, and pre-release version was finished March 3. It includes few days of fulltime (>8hrs) work. Most part of the time took graphics works, then code, and least part of the time (about 3 days) took sound part.

(More at the link)

Hint for a better playing experience, by the developer:
"After collecting all the coins on the level, one or two arrows will appear on the ground. You should stand above one of the arrows and press down (not necessary to stay on the ground, though, you can do it in mid-air too). Doing this you choose your way through the piramide. The goal of the game is to collect 256 coins. You can't do it in one play (10 levels), so you should complete the game few times, choosing different routes through piramide (when you enter already visited level, it has no coins)."
Also, would somebody who's first name means "He who is like God" and last name that references Dracula's bane please pin this topic. ;)
Last edited by sheath on March 11th, 2010, 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

August 10th, 2010, 1:35 pm #16

Sonic Boom (Hack)

I haven't played the game, but check out the sound test, go on, check it out! Especially 91.

-edit-

The game is just one truly awesome level and boss fight that I have yet to finish, set to the Duke Nukem first level theme.
Last edited by sheath on August 10th, 2010, 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

March 4th, 2011, 5:36 pm #17

Yeti 3D is a GBA homebrew engine meant to prove what the GBA was really capable of. Coding guru Chilly Willy has ported it to the 32X and added a "Mod Player" which allows for full 32X digital audio capabilities that we did not see in production level software. Keep in mind that this is a high level port with no assembly optimizations so far. The framerate dips are due to the lack of optimization, but the fact that it runs as well as it does means that the 32X was capable of fully polygonal texture mapped and lit gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azT7HFO59vI
www.gamepilgrimage.com

Pleasure Kitty
Juke Box Hero
Pleasure Kitty
Juke Box Hero

March 5th, 2011, 1:13 am #18

Yeesh...I don't know that I call this "capable" in the least. What's his guess on what the framerate may actually make it up to?

Bel
Word to your Mogwai!

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

March 5th, 2011, 1:52 pm #19

For a straight high level port of a fully polygonal textured and lit 3D engine from the GBA to the 32X this is very impressive. I've seen Chilly Willy talk about what he thinks the engine could eventually be optimized to with assembly. Basically the sky's the limit with him, it's just a matter of how much low level optimizations and how much time one wants to take. I hope he spends more time working on a real Doom port personally.

I am uploading another video right now. Chilly Willy modified, well I'll just quote him:

"Here's a faster version of Yeti3D - I made one optimization to the polygon draw functions... I noticed in the dump that is was doing a call for a shift instead of just shifting; turns out it was doing a signed shift, which the SH2 only supports in one form - any other form has a call to a library that does the equivalent. That's bad news for the inner loop of a drawing function, so I changed the signed shift to an unsigned shift... no more calling the library in the middle of the loop.

This is why lower-end systems use hand-tuned assembly for these inner routines - there's no telling what a compiler will generate. Anywho, this version is STILL C code for everything, but slightly more optimal C.

Yeti3D-faster"
Yeti3D-Faster build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDCOrE67Ss
Last edited by sheath on March 5th, 2011, 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

December 21st, 2011, 4:58 pm #20

Any progress on this one?

Bel