60FPS PS1 Games

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

1:03 AM - Jul 04, 2013 #1

One of our forum members, Barone from Brazil, has been exploring the Playstation 1 library since back in the day and has alerted me recently to the absolute plethora of games that run at 60 frames per second. Here is a list games with links to Youtube videos or the game's page on Gamepilgrimage with 60FPS FRAPS captured ePSXe footage. Youtube doesn't allow for over 30 frames per second so you can't really see the extra speed there.

Critical Blow
Dynasty Warriors
Fighter's Impact
Genei Tougi
Ehrgeiz
N2O: Nitrous Oxide
Omega Boost
Tobal 1
Tobal 2

That's a heck of a lot more 60FPS games than I have ever seen discussed on the PS1 before. Some of them I've even played and didn't notice a higher framerate. I'm looking forward to figuring out why ePSXe skips like hell on my octal core Windows 7 machine so I can hopefully record some 60FPS video of these myself.
Last edited by sheath on 9:16 PM - Jul 06, 2013, edited 2 times in total.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more

LoneCrusader
The other pallet swapped ninja
LoneCrusader

2:44 PM - Jul 04, 2013 #2

A lot of it depends on the graphics settings in your plugin. There is an ePSXe 1.8 out now, but the latest version of Pete's GPU plugins are 2.9. I run my games in a 1024x768 window. I don't have any of the games mentioned in your list to play :< Below are the settings that I use that let me play games decently

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: ú

- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 1
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 512 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 5/4
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]
I'm thinking about what I want and what I need. I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

8:36 PM - Jul 04, 2013 #3

Here are the settings I am using now:

Also, I uploaded a series of 60FPS videos to the Genei Tougi page today. I actually tested whether these settings were enhancing the framerate, and found Shadow Master to run at 30FPS instead with the same plugin and settings. It's pretty amazing how many 60FPS PS1 games there were early on and none of the typically fanboyish magazines promoted them as such.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
sheath
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

9:13 PM - Jul 06, 2013 #4

I'm not sure why I always thought Tekken 1 & 2 were 30FPS and only Tekken 3 got to 60FPS. I'm also not sure why I've had so many conversations with Sony fans about 60FPS games and only Tekken 3 ever came up.

At any rate, Fighter's Impact by Taito is another 60FPS 512x240 resolution 3D Fighter for the early PS1 library, unfortunately only released in Japan. I have uploaded a 60FPS DIVX video captured from ePSXe on the same settings as I mentioned earlier. What is amazing about this game aside from the framerate is the real time shadow casting effect, it's better than anything I have seen that generation.
www.gamepilgrimage.com

Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper
Belpowerslave
Master Ass Whipper
Master Ass Whipper

4:57 AM - Sep 02, 2013 #5

To me, the one game that always blew me away was Tobal...though I can't remember which one it was. The level I always think of is where you're fighting next to some highway, and it's all rendered in 3D(realtime) with cars going by and everything. To think that that runs at 60fps while doing all that...shows you how powerful the PSX could be in the right hands.

I still love Soul Blade for the 3D backgrounds. Now that it runs pretty well in MAME it's interesting to see that the arcade original doesn't really do that much more than the PSX version. Granted, I know the arcade version ran on that modified PSX arcade hardware(I think it had more ram than a PSX, or something like that) but I just remembered it looking so great in the arcade and despite the PSX version looking incredible, it didn't look as good as it did in the arcade. I would love to see a comparison of that...

Bel