Frustrated - Manic Panic reaction

Frustrated - Manic Panic reaction

November 2nd, 2011, 3:40 pm #1

Hi, I'm new here. I've had a pretty severe PPD allergy for years (hospital visits, severe swelling, weeping sores etc). I've stayed away from most dyes because of how bad it is. The only thing I've been able to use without incident is a temporary mousse called Color Pulse. It's been discontinued and its difficult to find the shade I like. So...I did some research and a lot of people who have the PPD allergy have been able to use Manic Panic without incident. I couldn't find a single online account of anyone who'd had a reaction to Manic Panic, and I dug deep.

I went to Sally's and bought the Vampire Red creme color. I didn't notice any PPD derivatives in the ingredients, but I've learned my lesson the hard way so I did a patch test. I don't test new hair products without one these days. I waited 72 hours. No reaction. I figured I was good to go. I was wrong! I dyed my hair without incident, left it on 30 minutes and rinsed. The next day I woke up a little itchy around the base of my neck, but there were no bumps or swelling so I crossed my fingers. Well, I'm on day four and I now have painful itching, bumps, burning scalp etc. So far no swelling, thank God. Benedryl and T-Gel have kept the symptoms manageable, but I'm so frustrated! I really wanted this to work.

The color is beautiful. It's a deep garnet color. I didn't bleach first because I've yet to find one that doesn't cause me irritation unless I only foil. It still came out beautifully on my naturally dark hair. The problem is that this dye seems to bleed. I'm now worried that my reaction is going to continue as long as the dye is leeching out of my hair. I've washed and washed, but the problem I'm having now is that the shampooing is irritating my broken scalp. I don't know what to do. My friend who has used this dye for years says that the color can leech out for weeks! Any suggestions??

November 3rd, 2011, 2:49 am #2

Ugh, sorry to hear that. I haven't used Manic Panic but I'm wondering if one of the red dyes is the culprit. I've reacted to red and blue dyes in Surya Henna creme (but not the violet dye, oddly). Check the ingredients on the cosmetics database (google it). It's a good indication of which ones are likely to irritate.

Good luck, hope it clears up quickly! Have you seen a dermatologist? Prednisone might help take the reaction down more quickly.

November 3rd, 2011, 4:01 pm #3

--- DEIONIZED WATER, BEESWAX, CETERAYL ALCOHOL AND CETEARETH-20, MISTLETOE EXTRACT, HOPS EXTRACT, YARROW EXTRACT, CHAMOMILE EXTRACT, ACETIC ACID, METHYLPARABEN. MAY CONTAIN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: CI ACID BLUE 9, CI ACID GREEN 25, CI ACID ORANGE 7, CI ACID RED 35, CI ACID YELLOW 3.

Thanks for the suggestion on the website! It looks like I might be reacting to the parabens. From what I've researched, a few people who suffer from PPD allergy are also allergic to parabens. If that's not it, then you may be right. I may be allergic to the red. The strange thing is that I've used Jazzing Cherry Cola and it has red in it. The difference in allergic possibilities is the parabens.

I have not been to an allergist yet. Money is tight and we don't have insurance. Since this current reaction isn't bad, I think I'll skip the doctor visit this time around. There isn't much they can do other than prescribe steroids and I'd prefer not to be on prednisone. I hate the side effects. The itching has been better today and I haven't had any weeping this round, thank God. The last reaction was so bad I ended up with a staph infection.

I love funky colors and I hate that I have almost no options. Henna isn't a bad way to go, but it doesn't come in the vibrant colors I love. I was so hoping Manic Panic would be the answer, but it definitely isn't. I almost talked myself into thinking that since this reaction is relatively mild that I could do it again and just deal with it. But, I also know from experience that the next reaction will be worse and may very well put me back in the hospital. I dodged a bullet this time. Next time I may not be so lucky. A pretty jewel tone with good coverage isn't worth that.

November 3rd, 2011, 4:10 pm #4

It's funny. I just checked the ingredients on the Color Pulse I used to use and it has three different parabens in it. The last time I used it, I felt a bit itchy but had no other symptoms. I thought I psyched myself into feeling something that wasn't there because I had used it before without issue and the symptom was barely there. Now that I think about it, maybe it was the first sign of a developing paraben allergy.

I guess it's back to the Jazzing for me. I'm going to have to patch test it again though since I think my allergies have expanded since the last time I used it. I may wind up having to go natural or go henna.

November 3rd, 2011, 8:36 pm #5

Hi, I'm new here. I've had a pretty severe PPD allergy for years (hospital visits, severe swelling, weeping sores etc). I've stayed away from most dyes because of how bad it is. The only thing I've been able to use without incident is a temporary mousse called Color Pulse. It's been discontinued and its difficult to find the shade I like. So...I did some research and a lot of people who have the PPD allergy have been able to use Manic Panic without incident. I couldn't find a single online account of anyone who'd had a reaction to Manic Panic, and I dug deep.

I went to Sally's and bought the Vampire Red creme color. I didn't notice any PPD derivatives in the ingredients, but I've learned my lesson the hard way so I did a patch test. I don't test new hair products without one these days. I waited 72 hours. No reaction. I figured I was good to go. I was wrong! I dyed my hair without incident, left it on 30 minutes and rinsed. The next day I woke up a little itchy around the base of my neck, but there were no bumps or swelling so I crossed my fingers. Well, I'm on day four and I now have painful itching, bumps, burning scalp etc. So far no swelling, thank God. Benedryl and T-Gel have kept the symptoms manageable, but I'm so frustrated! I really wanted this to work.

The color is beautiful. It's a deep garnet color. I didn't bleach first because I've yet to find one that doesn't cause me irritation unless I only foil. It still came out beautifully on my naturally dark hair. The problem is that this dye seems to bleed. I'm now worried that my reaction is going to continue as long as the dye is leeching out of my hair. I've washed and washed, but the problem I'm having now is that the shampooing is irritating my broken scalp. I don't know what to do. My friend who has used this dye for years says that the color can leech out for weeks! Any suggestions??
Hi, if you need to remove Manic Panic, all you need to do is go back to Sally's and get the demi-permananent color remover by Clairol. It comes in 2 forms, a powder, and a liquid. I would get the liquid, and follow the directions, and it should take out all of the color that is leeching. When you are done removing it, you should be able to follow it up with the jazzing right after. Jazzing also has a little secret, heat application. Get a bonnet that will attach to your blow dryer, put a plastic cap on your head, and heat it up. That should set the color so it doesn't keep rinsing out.

Also, the dyes in Manic Panic are AZO dyes. Some azo's are cross contaminates, some are not. It could be the reds are the problem, it isn't an exact science.

G

November 3rd, 2011, 9:46 pm #6

Thanks Gina. I'm going to try that. I think I'm going to wait on the Jazzing until my scalp is fully healed and I do a double patch test. This forum has been great on the info. Wish I had found it earlier.

I'll have to update after I do the Jazzing. I'm going to be so upset if it's the red I'm reacting to. I know henna is an option for red, but I've yet to find a mixture that gives that deep reddish purple I love.

July 2nd, 2012, 7:56 pm #7

Hello,

Just did the same color 4 days ago, me having your exact same background hair color allergies... did the patch test which was negative with at the end of course, once on my hair, 24hours later, I got the same results =(
It's ugly, itchy but nothing like my last bad reaction I had years ago to real hairdye (oh my thank gosh).
I was very surprise but also very sad that Manic Panic gave me this reaction as I used to have MP purple on bleached hair for years. So I have a question for you... since you wrote this a while ago, did you find any vibrant color you can use safely or are we stuck with the old Jazzing... which at the end is better than nothing.
=)

August 12th, 2012, 2:16 am #8

It's been a long time since I looked at the jazzing, but it used to be a nice product. Is there any reason that you prefer something else?

Gina

August 24th, 2012, 12:39 pm #9

Abut 5 years ago I had my first reaction to PPD, my head swelled and weeped and my eyes wouldn't open. Since then I have used Manic Panic in many colours such as turquoise, pink, purple, red, black, blue and green. Often I used hi-lift bleach to pre lighten my hair.
I bleached my roots last Tuesday and used Manic Panic "Infra Red" and a day later I started showing symptoms of my PPD allergy my scalp started to weep, it was incredibly itchy. About 24 hours after I noticed the first swelling and went straight to hospital they gave me something to soothe the itching and I left the emergency room and slept.
Next morning I wasnt too bad I still looked kinda normal and the swelling was primarily around my forehead. But eventually the swelling came down to my eyes, now the swelling is just a band around my eyes and cheeks and I'm really confused as to what caused it. Also I'm getting really depressed that I can't be blonde ever again.