When worlds collide

SacoHarry

4:29 PM - May 23, 2011 #1

Some of you may know that besides being a Vindolanda buff, I also run a blog on the topic of persistent pollution, The Flotsam Diaries. It started with a walk at the beach a year ago, where I saw thousands of bits of plastic and other trash washed up on the tide line. Since then, I've been beachcombing, studying, learning, and trying to share what I find. Floating garbage patches, plastic-covered beaches in paradise, pollutants seeping into our own yards -- it's sobering stuff.

While I was digging, the two worlds overlapped in a couple ways. First, much of what comes up at Vindolanda was just a different era's garbage. It was kind of fun comparing how we value these glimpses into the past because they're so rare, whereas the trash we generate now is ubiquitous around all corners of the globe. Second, where I stayed, The Twice Brewed Inn, has just completed a major septic system upgrade that has helped make it cleaner than it's been in, well, probably centuries. Using just a little tech, and a lot of nature. Seeing as the Twicey's stream empties into the burns that run right past Chesterholm museum, it was a neat tie-in for another article.

At any rate, for those interested, the two Vindolanda/Tynedale-themed articles are at:
http://theflotsamdiaries.blogspot.com/2 ... -pond.html and
http://theflotsamdiaries.blogspot.com/2 ... -name.html.
Last edited by SacoHarry on 4:29 PM - May 23, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Badger
Badger

3:49 PM - Jun 15, 2011 #2

The term barbarian comes to us from the Greek. Supposedly the Greeks listened to the speech of non-Greeks and thought it sounded like "baa-baa"(sort of akin to the modern "blah,blah,blah" phrase used to describe an unlistenable committee meeting.

Attached photo is of Hadrian's Wall still after all these centuries keeping out the baabarians...

T.Wolter
http://detritusofempire.blogspot.com/
IMG_0554.jpg
Last edited by Badger on 3:50 PM - Jun 15, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

HelenG
HelenG

7:52 PM - Jun 15, 2011 #3

Great pictures Badger. Thanks for the link to the blog. I love the comparison between the Twice Brewed and the Prancing Pony.
Here are my best baa-barian shots (taken on a glorious day near Walltown Crags a couple of years ago)
Helen
DSC00460.jpg
DSC00459.jpg

Badger
Badger

5:56 PM - Jun 23, 2011 #4

Sad weather reports from the site this week. I always hated rain when I was there. I suppose the fact that it was ever so much easier to "float" specimens for biological analysis is no compensation!

Lacking real archeology, wander over to:

http://detritusofempire.blogspot.com/

for some of the ersatz variety....when worlds really collide: the "archeology" of roman artifacts found in the Americas.

Tim Wolter

Badger
Badger

12:11 PM - Feb 02, 2012 #5

Moodern politics explained Roman Imperial style!
T. Wolter

SacoHarry

4:57 PM - Mar 07, 2012 #6

Worlds have collided again! One of the most impressive tales at Vindolanda is the rushed clear-out from the fort in summer 105 when the Batavians got marching orders to go fight on the Continent. Figuring out just what happened -- and when -- by the material left behind is a -great- detective story. I applied it to studying all the plastic bits & bobs that continuously wash into shorelines around the world. It's all archaeology, and every last bit of it has a story to tell, if we can figure it out.

http://theflotsamdiaries.blogspot.com/2 ... eeing.html

Badger
Badger

1:45 PM - Apr 30, 2012 #7

Getting ready both for digging and for the Twicey Pub/music quiz!

In the Diggers Shed

Badger
(no, not me in the far right of the photo, but we all had mustaches like that in the 70's)

Badger
Badger

11:17 AM - May 02, 2012 #8

Any week 6 diggers so inclined are hereby invited for a pint at the Twice Brewed on Sunday evening, 6 May. The American contingent will try to shake off the jet lag by 7:30 or so.

Given the status of some of us as-ahem-"old campaigners", I doubt we will stay up late enough to impair digging efficiency Monday morning.

I've seen the weather forecasts, and it would be most inappropriate to have our throats be the only dry parts of us next week.

Local Vindolanda stalwarts (long time no see Michael!) are of course also welcome.

So stop in Sunday night, just ask the barkeep where the Wolter brothers are.

In the meantime:

The Twice Brewed Inn-where the name really comes from

T. Wolter

7:46 PM - May 02, 2012 #9

Hey Tim,

I'll be around on Sunday, so I'll pop in and look for jeg-lagged Americans, nursing a pint and trying not to think about the damp :D

I only dig at Vindolanda because I love mud and rain so much.

TTFN
Sunny

Badger
Badger

4:54 PM - May 11, 2012 #10

Week 7 diggers.

Last week we had about half the crew congregate at the Twice Brewed Inn for what Pete referred to as "Jet Lag Drinks Hour".

I appear to be the only digger staying there next week, so expect me to be sitting forlorn at the bar at 6:30 wishing for company.

Stop on in. I don't know you all, but the black and white badger colored beard, combined with the various unflattering photos Pete has and will post should be a give away.

Lets pour a libation to the weather gods!

Tim Wolter