Heather
Heather

April 9th, 2007, 11:33 am #21

Hello

Just thought I would say hi, having just joined after a fabulous week of excavating (April 1st -5th). :D

Yes, I was brave enough (or should that be stupid enough! :D ) to excavate for the first week of the season. Judging by the finds, I'd say that it's goin to be a fine season this year!

Heather
Last edited by Heather on April 9th, 2007, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah
Sarah

April 10th, 2007, 7:37 pm #22

Hello!

I'm Heather's big sister and I agree with everything she's just said, so I won't repeat it all!

This site's good, isn't it...

Sarah x

Jim & Dilys

April 16th, 2007, 12:39 pm #23

Hello all

Just finished a dig with Andy 8 - 12th April. The weather was great for the time of year, (always bring your sunblock, I have burnt ears).

Finds were interesting and we dug through enough boulder clay to build a new motorway!

A good start for the new season.

Nice to see some new volunteers and a few veterans.

Good luck and happy hunting

Jim & Dilys
Last edited by Jim & Dilys on April 28th, 2007, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue Munro

April 16th, 2007, 1:51 pm #24

Hi Dilys and Jim
I've posted a coupleof photos on the 'Digger's Journal'.
How could you forget to mention all that gravel?!
Hopefully see you again donw a hole somewhere! :blink:
Sue

Jim & Dilys

April 22nd, 2007, 11:13 am #25

Dear all

Congratulations Harry and Sam on the birth of little Ruby -

What's been happening on the dig this last week (15 April) Jim and I shared our bit with Paula - another serial digger - from Minnesota - Paula hope you got home ok. We carried on finding part of a wooden key right at the bottom of your bit in amongst the clay and water - we said we would find something else at the end!!

As you know, the Friends Annual Meeting is Saturday evening 30 June 2007, and you will be aware that Robin is retiring - it would be nice if as many diggers as possible were able to attend to give him a good send off! Personally, I can't see Robin every really retiring as the thought of finding anything with inscriptions or writing tablets would see him running to the site. His enthusiasm and passion has truly been the foundation for what is a lifetime's work.

Seriously, pass the word onto all diggers - try and get to V for 30 June 2007 and make it a special celebration for Robin, Pat, Andy, Barbara, Justin, the Board and all the staff who work hard to make V a good day out and encouraging visitors to return.

We're back 26 May, June and August - completely mad, of course. It gets really annoying, our jobs just keeps getting in the way.

Love to all - Carpe Diem - Dig Dig Dig!
Dilys and Jim Quinlan
x
Last edited by Jim & Dilys on April 28th, 2007, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2008, 10:48 pm #26

Greetings from Canada.

I've just signed up and I'm looking forward to putting in an application to come and dig in 2009. I've done a little digging and I would love to work at Vindolanda for a week or two. Looking forward to getting to know folks over the next while.

BTW - I've been in Canada since I was 9 years old (44 years ago!) but I was born and mostly raised in Bristol, so a trip to Vindolanda will be a trip home as well.

Jim

Andy
Andy

March 9th, 2008, 9:15 am #27

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the updates on the wedig site as the excavations progress through the season. I will be asking as many volunteers as I can to post their pics and thoughts on the wedig site this year so there should be plenty to wet your appetite.

best,

Andrew

SacoHarry

March 9th, 2008, 11:07 am #28

Hello Jim! Great to have you aboard. The site's been a bit quiet through the off-season, but activity should start picking back up as the start of the dig nears. We're simple folk; show us a few squared stones in a row and we start brimming with enthusiasm!

Best,
Harry

Alex
Alex

March 9th, 2008, 1:24 pm #29

Hello Jim,

Big welcome to the site mate....

Alex,

March 9th, 2008, 2:47 pm #30

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Seems like a friendly place.

I'll be checking in often to see how the excavations progress this year. I'd also be interested in tips from some "old hands" on how to keep the costs down for accomodation etc. For me to come I have to factor a plane ticket into the picture.

Not that the cost of participating is high. Here in Canada to dig for a week at Fortress Louisburg is something like $850-$900 I believe. :o

Cheers and thanks

Jim