week five daily reports

Badger
Badger

May 2nd, 2011, 6:27 am #1

Taking advantage of the Twice Brewed new wireless connection-which I must say works surprisingly well in a 250 year old building made from purloined 1800 year old stone-I will be trying for daily updates and pix of week five. Probably week six also unless the technically more adept Saco Harry shoulders me aside.

stay tuned.

Tim Wolter

Badger
Badger

May 2nd, 2011, 6:24 pm #2

Spectacular weather. It is odd to see our fearless leader Andrew with a tan instead of the pallid Northumbrian complection more usual this time of year.

The group has been split up into several contingents. Area 2, the source of much activity last week, is mostly fallow, just a couple of folks working in the barracks closer to the HQ building. Various teams working west and northwest of Area 2, the aim being to extend the next barracks to the west to similar levels before dipping down into those tempting putative trenches.

As such finds are mostly 4th cent., with some of us actually scraping away at post roman floor surfaces.

No major finds today, best we did in our Dark Agers hut was the pin from a brooch. Out of, as he put it, pity Andrew gave it a small finds bag.

A new feature this year is a brief site into and Health and Safety chat by Kevin in a languege close enough to English to be partially understood. Then Patricia Birley took us through the new museum. Many admonitions to not wipe or otherwise molest any finds. An important message, but one of little immediate applicability to me, as I then spent several hours bouncing rocks into and out of my wheelbarrow.

They actually like a certain degree of abuse after you have checked for inscriptions...

Tim Wolter

BeverlyJ

May 2nd, 2011, 6:27 pm #3

Thanks for the update Tim. I'm also following your blog :D
I check the We Dig site every day to see what is going on.
Can't wait to get there in June!
Last edited by BeverlyJ on May 2nd, 2011, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badger
Badger

May 2nd, 2011, 6:32 pm #4

Here is an example of serious settling into the presumptive underlying ditch.

T.Wolter
IMG_0057.jpg

Badger
Badger

May 3rd, 2011, 6:48 pm #5

Another fine day for digging at Vindolanda. Finds a bit spotty as later levels are cleared and the Antonine era awaits.

Rather than try to give daily overview pictures--the site does not change that quickly--I will try to fill in a few fine details.

I turned over a rock today and saw....the ghost image of a spear head! The actual artifact could not be saved, but its memory lives on.

My second picture takes a bit of study. Examine the right side of the picture. At the extreme right edge is the barracks block east of the via praetoria. The huge flags of the road should be easily apparent. Note the roughly curved, incomplete line of stones extending out onto the via praetoria.

There were a lot of jumbled stones found on the road, clearly post roman. But most were just random scatter. But these rather substantial stones look as if they are trying to be a curved apse....and from a very large structure.

If a church it would have been a whopper.

Of course at Vindo other oddities have been found including a workshop with a similar apsidal shape. Or maybe it is just random scatter, where the mind attempts to make order from chaos.

More mysteries, more mysteries.

Tim Wolter

apse.jpg
spear.jpg

Badger
Badger

May 3rd, 2011, 6:57 pm #6

The blog to which Beverly refers, I assume, is at http://detritusofempire.blogspot.com/ This is my personal blog, directed more to non archeology types so a bit more general. Also it features dogs in silly costumes with some regularity.

Tim Wolter

BeverlyJ

May 3rd, 2011, 8:10 pm #7

Tim - you are correct on the blog!
And one can never have too many pictures of dogs in silly costumes. B)

Hadriana

May 4th, 2011, 9:05 am #8

Tim,

Many thanks for the site updates and photos! All useful...dog trivia also lightens the day....!
We'll convert you to Twitter yet... ;)

Badger
Badger

May 4th, 2011, 5:40 pm #9

Week five, day three.

In one sense the day was rather frustrating. Not much for finds of interest, although one barracks room did have half a wheelbarrow full of amphora shards, and I heard that a couple of beads turned up. But for most of us it was the pursuit of features----looking for walls that were not where they should be.

But the digging conditions, well I guess they could be improved upon but only if winged dryads turned up in diaphenous togas and offered us pints of ale! 60 degrees (F), with bright sun and pleasant zephrys.

In my effort to show the less obvious side of the dig site I offer a couple of pix.

The first is the vicus, Justin's Area B. It is sleeping peacefully, the surface seeded for grass that has not sprouted yet due to the dry weather. As to the features suggested on the surface it is your guess as to whether they represent the second century late structures or just where Justin thought a few stones would be nice aesthetically!

The second picture shows what to me is a new innovation. All small finds are now recorded by Andrew taking a site picture of you holding this striped pole on the exact find spot. Given the unproductive day we had today I did have to fake the victorious demenour!

Tim Wolter

victrix.jpg
fallow.jpg

Badger
Badger

May 5th, 2011, 8:18 pm #10

More pursuit of walls and drains, some of which continue to be elusive.

A brooch turned up today, and the mass of amphorae fragments remains impressive. What happened there?

Walking by the spoils heap this morning I noticed a white balloon fluttering on the mound. It was from a furniture store grand opening! Amazing how later material can find is way almost anywhere. Out of curiosity I surveyed the pile looking for other extraneous modern stuff. All I noted were a few chips of green paint-I have been tough on the wheelbarrows this week and it does chip the paint-and a pen that Kevin was looking for earlier in the week.

Tim Wolter
grandopening.jpg
amphorasmashup.jpg