bishpt
bishpt

May 29th, 2012, 4:42 pm #11

Day two in 4A,
We finally cleared the road in the final minutes before lunch. One or two good finds which will help with dating.
Speaking of which after Justin's twitter yesterday morning we did find some good dateable finds including an amphora handle with stamp. So that should keep him happy.
After lunch we split into groups to work the 3 distinct drains from the previous weeks diggings.
So yes Claire, I am working the drain you and I worked in week 7,
Marcel and Ian are working Sunny's patch and Lisa is working in the "horse head trench"
I have included a photoof the work progressing to the West of out trench which is beig openedup this week.
Cheers Paul
ps. Thanks for the welcome Badger
4a_tuesday_004.jpg
4a_tuesday_009.jpg
4a_tuesday_007.jpg
4a_tuesday_006.jpg
4a_tuesday_003.jpg
4a_tuesday_001.jpg
Last edited by bishpt on May 29th, 2012, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, 2012, 8:21 am #12

Respectfully, I think you may find that the 'A' suffix refers to excavations within the fort area which was last year and that the 'B' suffix refers to the current excavations in the vicus/settlement in the western area. So its 4B, not 4A

However, Andy, Justin and Kate may have changed the naming pattern since last week, just to confuse us poor diggers, potsherd & bone washers and those who log in the finds in the Museum... :D

From 'A Potsherd & Bone Washer' for the last 3 weeks
Last edited by Malise McGuire on May 30th, 2012, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Ingham

May 30th, 2012, 9:13 am #13

Um, ah....respectfully, Malise, I think you may find that Paul's 'A' suffix refers to Harry's plan of the trenches for 2012. It's you doing the confusing!

May 30th, 2012, 10:21 am #14

Well..... perhaps it might be made a bit more clear, then, for those obvious dumbos like me :'(

Badger
Badger

May 30th, 2012, 10:49 am #15

Malise
Harry and I have discussed this problem. I don't think his scheme anticipated trenches proliferating a la Somme front.
With this many people digging the vicus, and with the number of trenches started and stopped due to water it really is getting cumbersome.
I rather like trench "nick names" but this is not a season long solution.
An alphanumeric system with trench coordinates is a possiblity.....
Thank goodness, and contributors, for frequent visual cues.

T.Wolter

SacoHarry

May 30th, 2012, 12:18 pm #16

Yeah. I'm looking at doing the Wk 7 end-of-week update right now, and scratching my head.

Fighting the flooding made it tricky to start. And now of course the vicus is being the vicus. There's features overlaid, running across each other... new trenches start in one place and then morph back toward older ones.

For the moment, will just plow ahead with current system. It's wildly imperfect, but at least can get eyes sort-of focused on what's happening where.

Claire_M

May 30th, 2012, 2:00 pm #17

Am with Malise - system for us dum dums please! If it's a vote, trench nicknames linked to features for general forum discussion works for me.

Last edited by Claire_M on May 30th, 2012, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

May 30th, 2012, 2:11 pm #18

With all the overlap of features, nicknames could get really nutty too. "This is a picture of 'Post House' which a few weeks ago was known as 'Cobbled Alley' which back early in the year was 'Colonial Corner' -- no, not that one, there's new colonials down in the western side now -- which was once the eastern side of 4a"!

But I'm certainly open to trying things that work the best for the most folks. The very least I can do is try to get caught up with the site plans and have a map/plan handy for each week. Here's a provisional one for how I understand things on the ground this wk. Will surely change at least around the edges, but a decent start:

Last edited by SacoHarry on May 30th, 2012, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

May 30th, 2012, 2:24 pm #19

If it's helpful, here's a closeup showing Badger's terms for the areas during Wk 6-7.

(In fact, I might switch to using a closer-up plan like this for future weeks. Thoughts?)

Claire_M

May 30th, 2012, 3:09 pm #20

*applauds* Fab, thanks :D